Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Motorists to Blame  (Read 11720 times)

cleggy

Motorists to Blame
« on: 26 April 2013, 14:08:56 »

I was listening to Radio4 at lunch time when a topic came on about cyclists and some pressure group is trying to get us to come into line with most of europe whereby any accident involving a car and a cycle then the CAR DRIVER is automatically to blame.  What a load of Bulldog X Shitzu. >:(
I have never hear such a load of rubbish in my life, English law states innocent until proven guilty, and having seen the stupidity of some cyclists I despair. Only this morning at a 't' junction controlled by traffic lights the lights turned to red and the green man came on for pedestrians to cross, this prick on a bike went straight through the red light and only just missed two children and an elderly gentleman crossing the road. >:( >:( >:( >:(

So if they get their way, then a cyclist can ram my car, I'm to blame for his stupidity and he sues for compensation >:( >:(

Cyclists should obey the highway code, get insured and if not face prosecution like us motorists.

I do know that there are responsible cyclists among us what do they think?

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Re: Motorists to Blame
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2013, 14:14:16 »

I am a motorist and a cyclist.  My views on this subject are well known and do not need repeating.

I would agree with this change but ONLY if laws against cyclists who act irresponsibly are toughened as well. 

The law in Europe is the same also down the food chain to pedestrians too, so if a cyclist hits a pedestrian they would be in just as much trouble as if they were in a car.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2013, 14:17:49 »

Funny you should say that....about a hour ago, we stopped at the Zebra crossing up the road, and as people crossed, this retard in lycra, helmet and dark glasses, came belting through, almost hit them. The best bit was that the pratt slammed on his brakes, he hit the kerb, went on the wobbles and almost came off. Pity he didn't. Never even looked back, probably because he was sent on his way with a load of profanities from one of the blokes crossing. >:(

Yes I agree....they should be insured, and as to them always being in the right, what a load of twaddle.

On saying that, as a 'bit part' cyclist (non road) I have every respect for responsible cyclists :y
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2013, 14:20:04 »

I'm staying out of it, I've seen where this topic has gone before.  ;D ;D

I do have my opinions on " I'm not stopping for anyone" type of cyclist though.  ;)

Care on everyone's part is the key to this.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2013, 14:57:56 »

I have always said that every motorist ought to experience other modes of transport in order to appreciate other perspectives.

There is a programme(barely legal driver?) on TV with new and young drivers which just makes your hair stand on end.  Better name would be barely capable of thought. I have a belief of my own that 98% of motorists only see the space between them and the back of the car in front and have no cogniscence of anything else in front, behind or at either side.

So the pressures of daily existence coupled with poor driving skills means that daily deaths from crashes (not accidents) occur.

It is just wrong to assume that the lower you are down the transport food chain the more in the right you are.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2013, 14:58:07 »

When cycling to Brighton, there was a group ahead of me. Large pack of around 30 or so, riding in about 3 wide in some cases. Full on road bikes, so doing a fair pace, at least 30mph in a 40mph zone. The amount of cars tailgating dangerously, then blasting their horns was incredible!

Often on the cycle to work, you get cars giving you just mm's of space.

Fully support this new law, but as guffers says if the cyclist is irresponsible that needs to be addressed.

Rog

« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2013, 15:07:46 »

So the pressures of daily existence coupled with poor driving skills means that daily deaths from crashes (not accidents) occur.

Nice to see someone making that differentiation. Collisions and crashes always have a cause, they are not accidents.

cleggy

« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2013, 15:10:07 »

So if a cyclist is tailgating me, I brake and he runs into the back of me its my fault... I DON'T THINK SO >:(

ozzycat

• Omega Baron
  • chudliegh knighton /devon
    • hyundia i30
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 April 2013, 15:44:40 »

some cyclists are total brainless idiots they have no regard for outher road users not all but some
when i was a special  i prosicuted one cyclist for going though a red light and causing a fatal accident he got fined 300 pounds and 4month suspendid sentance then anouther month for comptempt of court by sticking the vs up to the magistrate he hade to serve the month he said in his defence that the highway code dode not apply to cyclists we are exempt from all trafic laws  he was so cocky he didnt have a lawyer 
this is a great forum lets not spoil it
long live the magic tree
its good to be back

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2013, 16:37:28 »

So if a cyclist is tailgating me, I brake and he runs into the back of me its my fault... I DON'T THINK SO >:(

But its ok for a car to tailgate a cyclist, who then brakes and gets run over?  ::)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2013, 17:26:54 »

As i probably use my bike more than my Mig for local chores no way do i agree with car drivers being
held responsable for some of the idiots on bikes. These people are not serious cyclists but just a
pr-t who happens to use a bike as a mode of transport :'(

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2013, 17:30:03 »

As i probably use my bike more than my Mig for local chores no way do i agree with car drivers being
held responsable for some of the idiots on bikes. These people are not serious cyclists but just a

Having cycled fair bit in Amsterdam too, I'm all for it. Car drivers give cyclists to much more room!

Even when cars are turning across into a carpark ect, they have to give way to cyclist. Roundabouts were a pleasure, you had your own separate route, again cyclist had priority.  :)

cleggy

« Reply #12 on: 26 April 2013, 17:30:53 »

But its ok for a car to tailgate a cyclist, who then brakes and gets run over?  ::)
I didn't say that, it's not OKeh in either case but the tailgater is at fault in both cases :y

cleggy

« Reply #13 on: 26 April 2013, 17:33:13 »

Having cycled fair bit in Amsterdam too, I'm all for it. Car drivers give cyclists to much more room!

Even when cars are turning across into a carpark ect, they have to give way to cyclist. Roundabouts were a pleasure, you had your own separate route, again cyclist had priority.  :)

So all car drivers are idiots and all cyclist are a paragon of road discipline. This is not Amsterdam :y ;D ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 April 2013, 17:44:59 »

We both know the type of people who cause problems are on both sides of the fence, as Guffers says rules need to be introduced for dangerous behaviour by cyclists too. But on the whole I agree with it, as a driver and cyclist.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.