Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ABS fault persists - do I scrap car?  (Read 4099 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
ABS fault persists - do I scrap car?
« on: 04 May 2013, 16:19:03 »

T367KHL 1999 2 litre petrol manual Omega - new thread

This car is due for MOT in MAY 2013. As advised in earlier threads, ABS light was on. I swopped ECU for an ECU I saved when from V687URP a 2 litre petrol manual Omega scrapped June 2012 which suffered a failed water pump bearing, causing cam belt to jump. The ABS on it was then working normally. Fault remained.

I checked all wheel sensors with resistance meter; all read 700 ohms.

All wheel reluctor rings looked OK. Rear sensors were aligned with reluctor wheels.

Tech2 said right front wheel sensor not seen.

I have checked pins 4 and 5 on socket at ECU end with meter - they show 700 ohms resistance. I then unplugged the connector at RH front wheel - pins 4 and 5 then showed open circuit.

I tried to replace front right sensor but allen screw is rusted in. Curses. To change front RH sensor I shall have to buy a scrap hub unit complete with sensor and fit that.

What course should I follow? Change RH front hub? Send ECU to ECUtesting for check and repair?  Scrap car? Something else?

Please advise. Am running out of ideas.

ozzycat

• Omega Baron
  • chudliegh knighton /devon
    • hyundia i30
    • View Profile
Re: ABS fault persists - do I scrap car?
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2013, 16:28:35 »

can you drill out the rusted bolt then retap the hole and fit your new snnsor ot soak it in plusgas and ues an easyout to get the bolt out just two sugestions
this is a great forum lets not spoil it
long live the magic tree
its good to be back

sassanach

• Omega Knight
  • trowbridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2013, 17:11:17 »

if you want to swap out the front hub then i have one sat here in trowbridge you can try :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2013, 17:29:56 »

Hi Sassanach,
                  I should love to try your right hand front hub, presuming the ABS sensor bolt can be removed or the sensor is intact. Please let me know when I can pick it up! I am 15 miles away, e-mail terry.paget:btconnect com or 01761-412787

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2013, 19:53:56 »

Wouldn't post either your email addy or telephone number on an open forum mate - use the pm system  ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2013, 20:01:53 »

What's the pm system?

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2013, 20:02:36 »

What's the pm system?

Personal Message :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2013, 21:22:02 »

Thanks for the advice dbug. I have registered to send personal messages, but sassanach was not a registered recipient so I failed to contact him. Having announced my details anyway, I thank sassanach for his offer and appeal to him to make contact.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2013, 21:39:29 »

You should be able to get the ABS sensor bolt out with an easy-out. if memory serves those bolts are only small torx bolts.

forgive me if I've misread and you've done it already.... but have you checked voltage going to the ABS sensor?  :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2013, 22:23:00 »

Thanks for the thought, Webby the Bear. No, I have not get it out yet. What is an easy out?  The screw appeared to be an internal allen headed screw.  I hammered in an Allen key, turned until I rounded the allen hexagon. When last I had a similar problem the screw came out all tight but the sensor was stuck in. I suppose I might do better if I take the hub off and work with it on the bench. Then I could get hold of it with a Stilson wrench. I could also heat up the hub casting. That would probably release the thread, but cook the sensor, which is suspect anyway.

Sassanach has offered me a spare hub he has, but communication is proving difficult..

No I have not checked the voltage on the sensor. I presume there are 12 volts across it, provided down the cable from the ECU. Would it help if I checked the voltage? I presume one side is earthy and the other +12volts.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 May 2013, 22:43:49 »

here's a quick video of an easy-out being used...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99eg03UN1VQ

you simply drill a hole in the stud that's stuck (you probably wont need to as you can use the already rounded off hole you've got). you then stick in your easy-out and turn it anti-clockwise. the way you turn it is as if youre undoing something.... but because its left handed thread it digs in the more you turn but has the affect of unscrewing the stuck fastener  :y

dirt cheap off eBay. I think these were the ones I bought although I must admit I haven't had a chance to try these particular ones yet.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-PIECE-PCE-DAMGED-SCREW-EXTRACTOR-CASE-BOLT-SCREW-STUD-REMOVER-EASY-OUT-/160832214896?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item257258d770

As for the checking of the voltage... yeah I believe that's pretty much what youre wanting to do (i'm still learning myself :)). but if you disconnect the sensor. then hook your multimeter to a good ground and then your other lead to the terminals in the connector (coming from the ECU) then you should have battery voltage. if you don't then there could be a problem from that point backwards (i.e, a short circuit).

if I've got any of that wrong I hope someone will correct it for you shortly :)

HTH
RIP Paul Lovejoy

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #11 on: 04 May 2013, 22:59:33 »

Thanks for the advice dbug. I have registered to send personal messages, but sassanach was not a registered recipient so I failed to contact him. Having announced my details anyway, I thank sassanach for his offer and appeal to him to make contact.

All members can send/receive pms - click on the right hand icon beneath sassanach's avatar when "send message" page will load.  Fill i details and click "Send massage" button :y  If it won't send recipients inbox possibly full ;)
HTH

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 May 2013, 23:05:52 »

In addition to my note about the voltage... the thing you're testing would have to be turned on. so with the ABS I presume this system is always on when the car is running so would terry have to disconnect and then run the car to get a reading?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 May 2013, 23:42:55 »

In addition to my note about the voltage... the thing you're testing would have to be turned on. so with the ABS I presume this system is always on when the car is running so would terry have to disconnect and then run the car to get a reading?
Webby - I don't think the abs sensors are 'active' sensors so I don't think there will be a voltage to measure coming from the ECU.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 May 2013, 23:57:48 »

Webby - I don't think the abs sensors are 'active' sensors so I don't think there will be a voltage to measure coming from the ECU.

Ok fair enough. Thinking about I suppose they're only active when the wheels are moving. but anyway thanks for confirming  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.