Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Project GSI Bumper  (Read 4908 times)

ozzycat

• Omega Baron
  • chudliegh knighton /devon
    • hyundia i30
    • View Profile
Re: Project GSI Bumper
« Reply #30 on: 26 May 2013, 10:29:17 »

its going well steve if you dont rush it you will do a cracking job well done mate :y :y :y :y
this is a great forum lets not spoil it
long live the magic tree
its good to be back

omega3000

« Reply #31 on: 27 May 2013, 16:27:48 »

its going well steve if you dont rush it you will do a cracking job well done mate :y :y :y :y

Thanks kev  :y

So i left the new filler to settle but it decided to crack  :( So more filler added to cover the crack and more and more sanding  ::)
Today the primer was flatted and left to dry then tack ragged , 2 coats of star silver done today and ill leave it overnight to harden ... Weather looks to be turning for the worse tomorrow so the next job will be to flatten the silver with 1200 grit , then the lacquer can applied .
It will probably be on the car next photo so cant wait for that ....P.s I hate sanding  ;D

More to come ....
« Last Edit: 27 May 2013, 16:29:43 by Emd »

martin42

« Reply #32 on: 27 May 2013, 16:54:57 »

looking good there mate  :y :y

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #33 on: 27 May 2013, 17:09:21 »

Don't leave it too long before lacquer mate, otherwise it won't bond properly and will tend to delaminate ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 May 2013, 17:17:04 »

Don't leave it too long before lacquer mate, otherwise it won't bond properly and will tend to delaminate ;)
+1 :y-must type faster ;D ;D
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

omega3000

« Reply #35 on: 27 May 2013, 18:15:25 »

Just hobbled out and applied the lacquer  :o Looking good , mite have to touch up here and there but its good to go on the car now  :)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #36 on: 27 May 2013, 18:17:11 »

Thanks kev  :y

So i left the new filler to settle but it decided to crack  :( So more filler added to cover the crack and more and more sanding  ::)
Today the primer was flatted and left to dry then tack ragged , 1. 2 coats of star silver done today and ill leave it overnight to harden ... 2. Weather looks to be turning for the worse tomorrow so the next job will be to flatten the silver with 3.1200 grit , then the lacquer can applied .
It will probably be on the car next photo so cant wait for that ....P.s 4.I hate sanding  ;D

More to come ....

1. just before applying laquer apply another coat of star silver it will stay better and sick better to laquer (wait for 5-6 minutes for it to dry partially) also before starting final paint use silicon remover type cleaners to clean the surface and never touch the surface with bare hand..

2. forget about the weather and wait more if required.. hurry is the enemy of paint jobs..

3. either old 1200 or old 1500 (wet) and let it for dry to be sure there is no moisture

4. me too ;D

omega3000

« Reply #37 on: 27 May 2013, 18:24:05 »

Thanks cem , only when its fully assembled to the car and in good light i will see many spots i probably will see that need a quick touch in  :( I would sooner of done the work with the bumper on the car looking back , ill get it on the car and take a few pics  :y Luckily my phone camera does not show imperfections  ;D And those pesky flies landed on it a few times  >:(

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #38 on: 27 May 2013, 18:25:34 »

good painters use 2 step painting for the color coat.. first they paint to cover/close the primer completely and than they sand the surface to be as smooth as possible. this shortens the painting time in the paint cabin and also clears any imperfections before final paint..
then they apply the final color coat and laquer in heated/ventilated paint cabins..

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #39 on: 27 May 2013, 18:27:35 »

Thanks cem , only when its fully assembled to the car and in good light i will see many spots i probably will see that need a quick touch in  :( I would sooner of done the work with the bumper on the car looking back , ill get it on the car and take a few pics  :y Luckily my phone camera does not show imperfections  ;D And those pesky flies landed on it a few times >:(

common problem.. :-\

solution is 4 poles and a tight net over you when painting :y

omega3000

« Reply #40 on: 27 May 2013, 18:31:56 »

I need a spray booth and many sander people  ;D 

Sanding Party  ::)

More to come
« Last Edit: 27 May 2013, 18:37:24 by Emd »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #41 on: 27 May 2013, 18:37:32 »

count me in for the sanding party :y  (1 hour ago I was sanding my test panel and using some filler on it) ;D

spray booth hire prices not cheap here.. 20£ for an hour .. for masking and painting I 'll need 4 hours to paint omega :-\

omega3000

« Reply #42 on: 27 May 2013, 18:42:19 »

count me in for the sanding party :y  (1 hour ago I was sanding my test panel and using some filler on it) ;D

spray booth hire prices not cheap here.. 20£ for an hour .. for masking and painting I 'll need 4 hours to paint omega :-\

Didnt know you could hire them  ???

I know that you use as little filler as possible so that minimal sanding time and swearing is avoided  ;) I wish i had stuck to this method  :-X

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #43 on: 27 May 2013, 18:47:51 »

Didnt know you could hire them  ???

I know that you use as little filler as possible so that minimal sanding time and swearing is avoided  ;) I wish i had stuck to this method  :-X

here ,you reserve for hours you need (if available from other painters) than use it..  :y (they have proper pressures for air line ) and good ventilation)

yep when using filler I use it as minimal as possible.. but my work/test panels are really crap so I dont bother using bondo..

I use glassurit fast drying bondo and within half an hour I sand it.. so not much swearing required..  ;D  but if I do it next day :-X
« Last Edit: 27 May 2013, 18:49:22 by cem »

omega3000

« Reply #44 on: 27 May 2013, 18:56:03 »

Yes , filler sets in 15 minutes depending on temperature , easy sand filler is smoother and faster to sand but needs a good eye when shaping curves .. Given the equipment i used with no booth i think its not too bad , just dont look too closely  ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 23 queries.