Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Market meat....  (Read 4787 times)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Market meat....
« Reply #15 on: 27 May 2013, 16:16:23 »

omega owners buying meat
whatever next

Better than nicking it ;D ;D ;D ;D
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #16 on: 27 May 2013, 17:37:39 »

Ive recently started buying meat from a local butchers.....he's been there as long as i can remember....so im guessing his sausages (which im having tonight for dinner) and his mince hasnt got any horse in them ....

Last week i bought of him.....2 pork chops (they were nice) 2lbs of beef mince and 12 sausages (6 Mexican spicy and 6 plain pork) .....it came to less than £15.....which i thought was reasonable

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 May 2013, 20:52:15 »

There's a large Sunday market and car boot sale not too far from Scunny every week,and I must admit I have bought meat from such vans as described[they're there every week-so no fly-by-night merchants]and I've never had any problems with doing so.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2013, 22:42:27 »

So where do these mobile meat sellers source their meat. Must get it at a good price to sell it at the price they do :)

cleggy

« Reply #19 on: 28 May 2013, 06:18:32 »

So where do these mobile meat sellers source their meat. Must get it at a good price to sell it at the price they do :)

Straight from the abbatoir, so it's quality, age etc is not the best. A beef farmer will rear his cattle, take the beast to the abbatoir for slaughter and then either butcher the meat himeself or pay a butcher to do it. He will then sell the meat to his customers, prime quality meat. On the other hand for example if he has a cow he no longer puts to the bull he will sell the cow to the abbatoir who will then sell the meat.  :y

mindaz

• Intermediate Member
  • IRL , UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 May 2013, 07:13:28 »

tasty  ;D

Vauxhall/0pel 0mega 2.5 , 2002 , CD

omega3000

« Reply #21 on: 28 May 2013, 10:18:38 »

I would buy from a farmer's market but from 2 months ago ive bought meat from a local butcher's that was recommended , everything has so much more flavor ...chops sausages chicken ect . All for less money than from the supermarket , i dont buy meat from supermarkets anymore and as far as i can see i never will . I bet a lot have changed to butchers meat ... I feel a fry up coming on  :P ;D 

cleggy

« Reply #22 on: 28 May 2013, 11:08:32 »

I would buy from a farmer's market but from 2 months ago ive bought meat from a local butcher's that was recommended , everything has so much more flavor ...chops sausages chicken ect . All for less money than from the supermarket , i dont buy meat from supermarkets anymore and as far as i can see i never will . I bet a lot have changed to butchers meat ... I feel a fry up coming on  :P ;D

Good local butchers often keep a small amount of their own stock or buy animals on the hoof from the cattle/stock markets, they can tell by looking at the animal what the quality will be and bid accordingly. The animal is then shipped to the abbatoir and the sides of meat are returned to the butcher who will let it hang for up to 28 days. :y

The large abbatoirs buy beast en mass slaughter and then supply some butchers with whatever they order so the meat has not beeen judged on the hoof and if the Braising Steak cuts are tough and tasteless then so will the Fillet. The supermarkets are supplied by the large abbatoirs here and in Ireland, the meat often looks nice but look closely, the Pork has thin skin and little fat, when you want a thickish skin and a good 1/4 - 1/2 inch of fat.... Think CRACKLING :P :P. The Beef looks nice, red and juicy with no marbling when you really want it on the brown side with plenty of marbling for the tenderness and flavour. :y

You can't beat a good butcher in his shop or the farmers market, he will tell you all about his produce, the best cuts and the cheaper ones with the best way to prepare it.

I also find it more economical to buy larger joints for the Sunday roast. It seems to cook better and you get more meals from it during the week with bubble and squeak or chips, or another roast and sandwiches etc. I have just ordered Fore Rib of Beef from Dexter cows for 8 people (four adults and two small children) this coming Sunday and left the size up to the farmer/butcher, either 3 or 4 ribs. :y I can taste it now and it will melt in the mouth  :P :P :y
« Last Edit: 28 May 2013, 11:13:18 by Cleggy »

omega3000

« Reply #23 on: 28 May 2013, 12:52:34 »

I got hooked when i tried the butchers own sausages  :P :P I went to buy some of his spicy ones but he said you want these other ones "its what i eat every week" . They were very tasty making you want more and more  :P Ive not tried the bacon yet but sure it will be of the same quality  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2013, 14:32:50 »

We get almost all of ours from the local butcher :y his chickens are nearly twice the weight of supermarket ones for the same money or less 8)

omega3000

« Reply #25 on: 29 May 2013, 13:16:48 »

We get almost all of ours from the local butcher :y his chickens are nearly twice the weight of supermarket ones for the same money or less 8)

Did here they pump the supermarket chickens full of water to make them heavier a while back  >:(

cleggy

« Reply #26 on: 29 May 2013, 13:23:40 »

Did here they pump the supermarket chickens full of water to make them heavier a while back  >:(

Some thing to ponder over, we are different shapes, sizes and weight so are all my chickens. So how come in a supermarket they are all exactly the same weight 1.2 or 1.8 Kg etc. ??? ??? Makes you think ;)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29 May 2013, 14:15:37 »

Know what, Cleggy....I have been thinking the same thing for ages. ;)
EMD's statement makes sense .......

omega3000

« Reply #28 on: 01 June 2013, 19:01:20 »

Went butcher's today , instead of the usual plain pork chops i bought some marinated chinese style ones  :P next in 2 weeks time i will try the honey marinated ones  :P :P Also got a bag full of traditional banger's ..  :)

cleggy

« Reply #29 on: 01 June 2013, 19:32:47 »

Picked up my Fore Rib of Dexter Beef this morning 7lbs on 5 ribs £45  will feed at least 12, fed on grass  BEAUTIFUL I'm looking forward to tomorrows lunch, :y :y :y :y

For Pork the best is free range Loin off the bone rolled, one in the freezer for next Sunday, I buy a full loin at a time and get the butcher to cut it into 3 or 4 joints  :y 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.