Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Update to my Brakes help thread  (Read 4201 times)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Update to my Brakes help thread
« Reply #16 on: 03 June 2013, 22:11:26 »

If its the bushes on the wishbone (you will have to excuse my ignorance on the subject) questions are...

1.....how many on each wishbone
2....can these new bushes (poly or whatever) be fitted on a pattern part (if that is what has been fitted to mine)

Chrisgixer....pm being sent :y
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 June 2013, 22:16:21 »

1,One poly per wishbone. So two needed , for the front bush of each wishbone. As the link.

Ditto rearward bush. No poly exist for these, so its the toughest rearward rubber bush

2, yes provided they are sensibly made.

Need a look see really.
Onanists always think outside the box.

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 03 June 2013, 22:20:32 »

To clarify, the ebay link is for both bushes, left and right :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 June 2013, 22:34:48 »

Don't buy any more parts until we've nailed this down Terbs.

But they are right, btw.  :y

Ps I have a press here so we could press new rear bushes. gm are £14 each. Although Meyle(?) heavy duty are the way go probably.
And powerflex poly front bushes are... £50 odd...? Anyone got a link for him? :)

Well Meyle front heavy duty bushes are slightly firmer than the ones fitted to Lemforder wishbones but I wouldn't bother with either now. If I get another Omega i'll just do the same as i've recently done on my 3.2 - New Lemforder wishbones with the rears replaced with genuine GM bushes and Poly's in the front. At least you don't have to keep re-doing the geometry then!

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 03 June 2013, 22:40:21 »

Agreed :y You could even go a step further and replace the balljoint with genuine ones if you can get them for sensible money, that way the arm need never come off again if your mileage is low :y (on the basis that genuine arms last between 80 and 120k).

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 June 2013, 22:57:16 »

Not relevant to Terbert, but....

If only we could find a rearward Poly solution.  :-X

05omegav6

« Reply #22 on: 03 June 2013, 23:08:43 »

Mine have started creaking :'( although, in fairness, they've done considerably better than the first attempt :-\

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 June 2013, 23:16:58 »

I am reading all these replies with great interest, thanks for the links etc. I have just been to all german parts....and they have Lemforder wishbones £130 a pair with free overnight delivery :y

Right, I know you buffs go for the best  (GM quite rightly) and I appreciate the comments regarding hardness/softness, Lemforder/Meyle and so on, and all options will be given careful thought but.......
Would an old plodder like me, doing about 4000 miles a year in each Omega really notice (or be affected by) hardness and softness of bushes. An Omega to me is sitting in a classy car and getting myself from A to B in relative comfort. Assuming crap wishbones have been fitted, to be honest, the car seemed to drive perfectly for two months since fitted. I could not tell you the difference to the old worn out ones and the new.
So if it does turn out to be Wishbones, would I really notice any difference by just fitting Lemforders complete, rather than poly bushes (taking into account longevity of poly bushes)
What is the expected lifespan of Lemforder bones at 4000 miles a year and not throwing it about ........

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 June 2013, 23:19:06 »

Mine have started creaking :'( although, in fairness, they've done considerably better than the first attempt :-\
They are the Mark III version aren't they? No IV, counting the ones tried further north...?

05omegav6

« Reply #25 on: 03 June 2013, 23:29:31 »

They are the Mark III version aren't they? No IV, counting the ones tried further north...?
I'll give you that, though only the second set tested on this car :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 June 2013, 23:33:41 »

I am reading all these replies with great interest, thanks for the links etc. I have just been to all german parts....and they have Lemforder wishbones £130 a pair with free overnight delivery :y

Right, I know you buffs go for the best  (GM quite rightly) and I appreciate the comments regarding hardness/softness, Lemforder/Meyle and so on, and all options will be given careful thought but.......
Would an old plodder like me, doing about 4000 miles a year in each Omega really notice (or be affected by) hardness and softness of bushes. An Omega to me is sitting in a classy car and getting myself from A to B in relative comfort. Assuming crap wishbones have been fitted, to be honest, the car seemed to drive perfectly for two months since fitted. I could not tell you the difference to the old worn out ones and the new.
So if it does turn out to be Wishbones, would I really notice any difference by just fitting Lemforders complete, rather than poly bushes (taking into account longevity of poly bushes)
What is the expected lifespan of Lemforder bones at 4000 miles a year and not throwing it about ........

Poly don't wear out. And its that frint bush that fails first. So its a case of reliability and accuracy, with a slight loss of comfort as a trade off with Poly. They are firmer, so will transmit slightl more high frequency small bumps to the driver. The vast majority of owners find this a very acceptable trade off.

However, one could equally argue that more steady driver is less likely to wear out oe rubber bushes, and wouldn't find great benefit in the accuracy of the car. So might well be paying an unwelcome price on the comfort front.

I do tend to say to more sedate drivers that a good course might be to fit lemforder wishbones  (correctly) first off. Then fit poly once the front bushes fail. Poly can then be fitted in about half hour a side. Rearward bush lasts about two years for me, so you should be fine at less than a quarter of the miles with a lot less abuse, if that helps? Although Elite suspension is softer, so wears the bushes faster, relatively speaking.

Some here say that the best course is to refurb the wbone completely. New ball joints x2, rear bush x2, poly front bush x2. But if your paying labour as well, the border line cost compared to Lemforder, then becomes prohibitive in that case.

Over all. Fit Lemforder new. Then fit poly if needed later IMO.

But again, if fitting bones with rubber front bushes. The bolts must be tightened as the guide. Ie, wheels loaded at the correct ride height.
« Last Edit: 03 June 2013, 23:35:59 by chrisgixer »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 June 2013, 23:40:00 »

I've just bought a pair of new wishbones on the bay for £45!  :)  I'll let you know how long they last!!  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 June 2013, 23:40:15 »

Brilliant :y :y :y :y :y

That was to the gixer

Blimey Tigger....hope you're just having a laugh ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 03 June 2013, 23:42:36 by terbert »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 June 2013, 23:47:29 »

I've just bought a pair of new wishbones on the bay for £45!  :)  I'll let you know how long they last!!  ::)  ;D

As TB would say, "Stupid boy Pike"  ::)  :P  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 18 queries.