Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: So, Sony kicked Microsofts backside...  (Read 3684 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: So, Sony kicked Microsofts backside...
« Reply #15 on: 16 June 2013, 22:05:19 »

With the xbox1, download the game for £50.
Thats it.
No second hand market.
There have been hints that this restriction may get lifted.

If they don't, the eggsbox is dead in the water - especially at £100 more than the PS4

good thing is, PS3's will be cheap next year - I might get round to buying one when they're down to £50 with a load of games :.)

Trade in is a very limited market, it's also dead in water I think. MS hinted it up to game developers, if it's taken cloud based no doubt they will offer discounts if you "return" the game.

Had my Xbox since 2007, I've not once bought or sold a preowned game.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 June 2013, 22:12:26 »

Thats it.
No second hand market.

If they don't, the eggsbox is dead in the water - especially at £100 more than the PS4

good thing is, PS3's will be cheap next year - I might get round to buying one when they're down to £50 with a load of games :.)

Trade in is a very limited market, it's also dead in water I think. MS hinted it up to game developers, if it's taken cloud based no doubt they will offer discounts if you "return" the game.

Just bought MW3 on amazon marketplace 5 squid delivered.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 June 2013, 22:20:20 »

Thats it.
No second hand market.

MW3 is old though, very old. Either way the rights rules are not a problem for me, I don't buy preowned. Being online is not a problem either, it's always been hooked up to interwebs 24/7

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 June 2013, 22:22:22 »

Thats it.
No second hand market.

MW3 is old though, very old. Either way the rights rules are not a problem for me, I don't buy preowned. Being online is not a problem either, it's always been hooked up to interwebs 24/7
True, Did buy it when it was newly released found it buggy for £50 so sent it back hopefully all sorted now (liked the maps on it).

bigegg

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • MV6 RIP - Lexus GS300 '99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 June 2013, 23:36:14 »

When I had my book shop, I knew a couple of different people who made a pretty good living dealing in 2nd hand wii, xbox360 and ps3 games on markets and car boot sales - I certainly wouldn't call it a "limited market". Not in the same league as 2nd hand books, perhaps - but they were always busy.

Carpe Incendium

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 June 2013, 08:45:32 »

Thats it.
No second hand market.

I disagree. People rarely buy games to sell on, so its no biggie. A small few are creating all the vocal. But I hope they do life that policy.

People will buy the console(s) to play the games they want - not the other way round. Most gamers agree that xbox provides better games than ps3.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 June 2013, 08:49:14 »

When I had my book shop, I knew a couple of different people who made a pretty good living dealing in 2nd hand wii, xbox360 and ps3 games on markets and car boot sales - I certainly wouldn't call it a "limited market". Not in the same league as 2nd hand books, perhaps - but they were always busy.
Nope, very limited. The retail channels have done pretty thorough research to see if the 2nd hand market was partly to blame for the catastrophic decline in new sales, and decided that it was too small to have any impact.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 June 2013, 16:45:44 »

Thats it.
No second hand market.

I disagree. People rarely buy games to sell on, so its no biggie. A small few are creating all the vocal. But I hope they do life that policy.

People will buy the console(s) to play the games they want - not the other way round. Most gamers agree that xbox provides better games than ps3.

Depends, there is the Forza/Turismo battle, along with Halo4 and some other PS3 dedicated games, but the ones which are unique to each console are thin on the ground. Most titles go for both unless its been sponsored by either side.

Have to say at these early stages I am looking more at PS4, got a Kinect for the 360 we have here at work. Not that impressed really, not something I'd use. Maybe latest version is much better, must be old fashioned, I like just a controller with a bit of feed back, don't want to dance around the room  :-\

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 June 2013, 16:51:40 »

Marketing is about perception. In many people's minds it is a case that they would prefer the option of a 2nd hand games market even if they don't use it. It is like the many buttons on many consumer goods, it is the having it, not the using it, that counts, in case one day you do want to use it.

Microsoft have been floored in the first round, but a knock down in the first round, doesn't win the bout.

My understanding is that Sony is currently leading when it comes to small studio games development. This is where most of the innovative development and immersive new IP comes from. I also heard that the PS4 is much easier to develop for, which were not the PS3 or PS2 strengths.

So it is going to be an interesting battle, with lots of MSM column inches written, which has got to be good for a currently declining sector of the games market.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 June 2013, 19:33:11 »

must be old fashioned, I like just a controller with a bit of feed back, don't want to dance around the room  :-\
Depends on the game type. Clearly hardcore gaming needs a controller of some description, possibly adding a Kinect style sensor (or a VR helmet) as an option/enhancement. Some, generally family fun oriented games, the Kinect style sensor comes into its own - Nintendo opened up that entire market, and clearly there was demand for it.
Grumpy old man

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 June 2013, 16:17:46 »

Just came across this picture.. Shame on Microsoft...   ::) :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 June 2013, 18:53:01 »

That pic was doing the rounds back when Technet used to be a useful resource ;D

I must say, though, I've always found MS to be excellent for support, if a tad pricey for a non contract single call.  Now try calling Oracle, then you will know what bad OS/Hardware support is.
Grumpy old man

mantahatch

« Reply #27 on: 20 June 2013, 08:20:00 »

Looks like microsoft they have changed their minds http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22980973

Makes me wonder if it was just a story right from the start. Cant see them making major hardware/software changes at this late stage.  :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 June 2013, 14:36:38 »

It's a much more level playing field now, I was thinking more PS4. But something I did not realise is that Sony are now going to start charging for Online multiplayer, like Xbox live.

So really its all down to cost, PS4 is £80 cheaper, but for how long? Can see that changing quite quick depending on sales, interested to see how the "media centre" elements take shape on the One.

chrisgixer

« Reply #29 on: 22 June 2013, 20:10:21 »

So really its all down to cost....

Far from it, IMO. If the spec is broadly similar, and Microdroop stop behaving like Nazis it will be xbox for me, due to the superior game play. Not that I've used mine for games for ages, but if xbox1 has blu ray then there simply is no need for the ps to exist, esp as I have no Sony back catalogue to speak of either.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 17 queries.