Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do inner discs corrode?  (Read 3670 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Why do inner discs corrode?
« on: 18 June 2013, 18:53:03 »

It appears to be "normal" for the inside lower part of disc to rust up, just wondering what can cause this? Its not specific to this car, as many people have had exactly same  :-\

Outside is always perfect:

Yet the inside goes like this:

The Pad warning had come on, the discs themselves on the outside at least had plenty of life left, but because the inside was feked, I could not just slap new pads in, so discs and pads had to be fitted:

The caliper is free and moving fine, the pads were fitted correctly.  Anything we can do to prevent this?  :-\

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Why do inner discs corrode?
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2013, 18:59:31 »

The inside of the disc lives in a much harsher enviroment than the outside,any crap thrown up by the opposite wheel is going to splash the inside of the disc causing it to corrode quicker,made worse by many modern cars not have splash shields behind the discs any more.
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2013, 19:00:02 »

Presumably its something to do with the caliper design, the inside pad is pressed against the disc with the piston, the outside is pressed against the disc by the force of the caliper movement.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2013, 19:04:30 »

I think its caliper design, but only seen this on (virtually all) Omegas, never other cars...
Grumpy old man

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2013, 19:05:30 »

Same problem on both mine also  :-\, Still have the old discs outside will take a quick pic.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2013, 19:10:32 »

The inside of the disc lives in a much harsher enviroment than the outside,any crap thrown up by the opposite wheel is going to splash the inside of the disc causing it to corrode quicker,made worse by many modern cars not have splash shields behind the discs any more.

Its more than that though, the pad wears un-evenly, as others have mentioned it appears to be a caliper design issue. Just wondering if anything can be done to prevent it  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2013, 19:14:14 »

Its more than that though, the pad wears un-evenly, as others have mentioned it appears to be a caliper design issue. Just wondering if anything can be done to prevent it  :-\
Not that you'd be prepared to do...
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2013, 19:16:07 »

Shame  :(

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 June 2013, 19:16:38 »

its interestin how the rim of corrosion is completely even.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 June 2013, 19:17:21 »

£100 every couple of years (or every 5 in your case ;D), not worth the bother...
Grumpy old man

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 June 2013, 19:19:31 »

Been standing outside for a few weeks so a little rusty.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 June 2013, 19:19:57 »

£100 every couple of years (or every 5 in your case ;D), not worth the bother...

I'd be upset at anything less than that. New discs went on 2.2 this year, last set, was used for that guide  ::)

So that is 6 years from a set of discs, about 70k i think  :-\

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 June 2013, 19:29:36 »

Presumably its something to do with the caliper design, the inside pad is pressed against the disc with the piston, the outside is pressed against the disc by the force of the caliper movement.
I would expect the piston to press the inner pad against the disk first and then, after overcoming any stiction on the slider pins, the frame would move and press outer pad against the disk.

On the Omega I don't think the design of the caliper is the issue. I think it is due to additional corrosion of the inner face (as described above) and intermittent use of the car. I haven't had the issue with my Omegas but I have used them as daily drivers. I expect that the cars that have shown the problem have been used for weekends and holidays.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 June 2013, 19:33:40 »

I would expect the piston to press the inner pad against the disk first and then, after overcoming any stiction on the slider pins, the frame would move and press outer pad against the disk.

On the Omega I don't think the design of the caliper is the issue. I think it is due to additional corrosion of the inner face (as described above) and intermittent use of the car. I haven't had the issue with my Omegas but I have used them as daily drivers. I expect that the cars that have shown the problem have been used for weekends and holidays.

One shown is used every week, on a 150 mile round trip. The 2.2 was the same, that was in very regular use too.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 June 2013, 19:34:44 »

I use mine pretty much daily, and the brakes are definately used enough to stop rust build up, so I remain unconvinced.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 17 queries.