Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drum brakes. I think i've nailed this! (sorry for going on)  (Read 503 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile

Hello lads, how are you?

Ok, the drum comes off but the bearings aren't part of this. They are in a separate hub which attaches to the backing plate. This can be undone by 4 screws at the back of the backing plate. They should be undone and removed with the drum whenever the drum's removed so as not to bugger them up.

SO.

I believe that if i do that i can simply remove the drum and pull it out with the bearing assembly, replace the shoes, refit the bearing assembly, refit the drum, new axel nut and i'm good.

Would you suggest I've got this right?

Cheers guys

ps, to martin.... If ive got this right I may have a go tomorrow on my own. ill still of course pop torque wrench round still Saturday.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
Re: Drum brakes. I think i've nailed this! (sorry for going on)
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2013, 18:48:17 »

think ive found a good video explanation. just going to do what this dude does but ill include replacing the shoes of course  :y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TotMJ3OimGc

am I likely to need a puller or will my idea of hammering it be good enough?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2013, 20:26:16 »

Hello lads, how are you?

Ok, the drum comes off but the bearings aren't part of this. They are in a separate hub which attaches to the backing plate. This can be undone by 4 screws at the back of the backing plate. They should be undone and removed with the drum whenever the drum's removed so as not to bugger them up.

SO.

I believe that if i do that i can simply remove the drum and pull it out with the bearing assembly, replace the shoes, refit the bearing assembly, refit the drum, new axel nut and i'm good.

Cheers guys

ps, to martin.... If ive got this right I may have a go tomorrow on my own. ill still of course pop torque wrench round still Saturday.

Now it is a long time since I have changed any drum brakes but I don't recall taking that part out, just the drum and then take out the shoes / springs and replace shoes and put them back in....... ;) ;)

Thinking back the last drum brakes I did would have been os a Series 3 LandRover and would be pre 1996 - where does the time go.... ::)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2013, 20:40:18 »

Hello lads, how are you?

SO.

Cheers guys

Now it is a long time since I have changed any drum brakes but I don't recall taking that part out, just the drum and then take out the shoes / springs and replace shoes and put them back in....... ;) ;)

Thinking back the last drum brakes I did would have been os a Series 3 LandRover and would be pre 1996 - where does the time go.... ::)

Thank you very much Vamps. that's exactly what I thought.... but mr Haynes says to do it  ::)

one other thing that I remember from the ones we did at school.....

when we did the adjustment we put the drum on and pressed it in and twisted it to see what it felt like as if it was on. I then did the nut up to the high required torque and it got really tight. that shouldn't happen, right?

OR should I put it all back together and make my adjustment through the back of the drum with the wheel on?  :)

sorry for all the posts but i'm going to have a crack tomorrow weather permitting and I really don't want to fek it up  :-[
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 June 2013, 20:46:34 »

IIRC the drum should 'just' run free when all put back and tightened up, final adjustment through the back, that would give you minimum pedal travel, can't see why the wheel on or off would make any difference............ :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 June 2013, 20:51:05 »

cheers vamps. I was going to put the wheel on so I could drop it down on the ground so I could torque the axel nut through the wheel (would pop out the little ''ford'' disc to get to the nut)

iirc when I tried to tighten an axle nut with it off the ground the whole thing just spun. d'ya know what I mean?  :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 17 queries.