Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SS or FS oil ?  (Read 1421 times)

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
SS or FS oil ?
« on: 01 August 2013, 22:24:46 »

We've just changed my wife's Freelander for a Nissan Note ( welcome to the future of motoring in Ireland  >:()
The NNOF seems to be populated ,admin'd and supported by 65 to 70 year old index linked driving glove equipped retired civil servants.
They all insist that the Note has to run on 5w-30 FS oil although looking through the manual at no point does it state that the only recommendation being to use Nissan Oil although the spec cannot be found anywhere. The API is SJ and the SAE is 5w-30 or even 10w-40 .
http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/pubs/upload/engineoilguide_march2010.pdf
Now , I've never used FS oil in any of our cars prefering 10w=40 SS and changing it ,along with the filter, every 4 to 5K miles mainly due to the short journeys they are used for .
So my belief is that FS is desirable for high performance, turbo'd or extended service intervals but SS is more than adequate for ordinary cars with shorter service intervals .        ?

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: SS or FS oil ?
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2013, 23:51:29 »

FS 5W30 is the preferred oil according to Owners Manual, although SS 10W40 is mentioned.  Suspect the SS 10W40 would be ok if 4-5K service intervals - should be ok over temperature range experienced in UK - after all that grades ok temperature wise in Omegas
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

chrisgixer

« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2013, 23:57:19 »

We've just changed my wife's Freelander for a Nissan Note...                                                                                     

Oh dear lord.

....deepest and heart felt sympathies.  :'(

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2013, 22:00:48 »

We've just changed my wife's Freelander for a Nissan Note...                                                                                     

Oh dear lord.

....deepest and heart felt sympathies.  :'(

Simple economics CG .
In this ruined country motoring is no longer a pleasure unless you have a 30+ year old car or can afford a post 2008 model . Road tax is based on engine cc pre '08 and Co post '08 and 30 + year old cars qualify for €54 a year tax. Petrol used to be circa 15% cheaper than UK but is currently at € 1.64 a litre .
My wife covers 5K miles per annum 95% of time on her own in the car and on good roads . The Freelander did 24 mpg on a good day cost € 660 per year to tax ( with an imminent 7%-10% increase pending in the Oct. budget ) and was causing her pain to climb into. The Note has returned 42 mpg on it's first fill to fill and costs €260 per annum to tax and 18% reduction in insurance premium. My wife is delighted with it and although will never be an exciting car does it's job admirably and being the top of the range model has every conceviable extra plus ,surprisingly as much room as in the passenger compartment of my Omega estate.
It does exactly what it says on the tin so to speak...........
A near neighbour of mine has just bought a 2009 BMW 520 turbo D estate and the tax on it is €280 per annum . My 2.0 estate costs €760 with that increase about to bite my bum >:( and if my BMW 635 was less than 30 years old it would cost a pubic hair away from €2000 per annum.
I was almost flying over to UK last week to potentially buy a stunning 1983 E28 BMW to replace my Omega with but I can't bring myself to part with it. I'll probably wait another two years and look for a 520D estate which are currently selling for around €15K upwards due to the demand and the additional ( EU deemed illegal ) 30% of vehicle value registration tax that is levied on the owner of any car registered in the State .
They couldn't organise a dog fight over here  ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2013, 22:30:32 »

They couldn't organise a dog fight over here  ::)

I figured that out trying to work out how to pay the road tolls around Dublin (most of which I seem to have avoided in the end). ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2013, 10:57:20 »

the note is not too sad I had a top of the range one...had one as a hire car...the only thing is its so damn small :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 August 2013, 11:25:49 »

the note is not too sad I had a top of the range one...had one as a hire car...the only thing is its so damn small :y
Yep , if it was two or three inches wider it'd would help . I'm 6'5" and fit in it comfortably both driving and passenger seat . In the rear with the rear seat fully back it has enormous legroom , but no boot space . ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2013, 10:38:24 »

I'd say that any oil that meets or exceeds the API specs should be OK if you change it regularly enough. TBH, I'd rather use a basic oil and change it every 3k than something like Mobil1 and change every 15k.
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2013, 11:29:34 »

I'd say that any oil that meets or exceeds the API specs should be OK if you change it regularly enough. TBH, I'd rather use a basic oil and change it every 3k than something like Mobil1 and change every 15k.

Sister-in-Law has a 1700CDTi Astra ecoflex. I changed the oil on it yesterday ..... around a year ago since I last did it, but this time managed to find & reset the service/INSP message. It thinks it next wants a service in another 19000 miles!  :o
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.