Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: First gas - some issues  (Read 13393 times)

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
Re: First gas - some issues
« Reply #105 on: 28 August 2013, 16:09:38 »

Tried a few different variants. Still no joy. Gutted  :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 28 August 2013, 17:58:15 »

If it's not seeing the ECU the changes you make won't be applied

I bet it's still a device driver/comms issue :y

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 28 August 2013, 18:14:26 »

I think it's the wrong software for the 'unknown' ECU  :-\

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 28 August 2013, 19:14:43 »

If it's not seeing the ECU the changes you make won't be applied

I bet it's still a device driver/comms issue :y

I meant I was trying the different options on the disc to see if any were able to connect to the ECU.

albitz

« Reply #109 on: 28 August 2013, 20:01:37 »

Iirc this setup came from the pink stokie ? Can he shed any light on its origins or software needed ?  :-\

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 28 August 2013, 20:45:00 »

Unfortunately not. He didn't have any setup issues - he just installed it and it worked! No software, calibration or anything!
If I had known a little more about LPG in general, and about the basics of this particular kit, I may not have bothered tbh :-X 
Few thoughts at this point -
Trying to get in touch with micromise ( so gutted I couldn't pop in  :'( ) to see if they would provide software?
Find out if looms are the same across the board so that only the ECU can be changed?
Rip it out and buy a new, recognised front end kit?
Sell or break the car  :o

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 30 August 2013, 03:47:28 »

Sorry to be blunt Jonny, but a second hand LPG kit is a total waste of time installing on a different car, if the lead and software cannot be obtained. Even if the donor car had the same engine as yours, and it worked fine on the donor, it will still need calibrating and mapping on yours before its safe for long term use. Even, assuming it did "work ok" after you fitted it without any software changes, how can you tell it's not going lean at WOT and damaging your engine or that the fuel map isn't a mile out and going to kill your fuel trims?

If you cant get the software and lead, I think you need to chalk it up to experience mate, and buy a new front end (stag) kit.

New stag kits are peanuts these days with warranty :y

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 30 August 2013, 09:55:20 »

You're absolutely right James.
It was pure ignorance on my part - I didn't know enough about LPG in general, nor about this particular system. I jumped into it too soon, but hindsight is a great thing  :-X
I'm still trying to get in touch with micromise to check if it is definitely one of their kits, but I know for a fact they don't use bygas components, so the initial system may have been altered at some point anyway.
The projected savings from the expense of getting this kit obviously have not materialised, and with some other jobs required I need to determine if its worth throwing good money after bad with a new kit?
I would like to (and there's a few on the bay) but can I afford to ?  :-\

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 30 August 2013, 15:20:58 »

Thanks for that  :y
My software and cables arrived this morning. Installed the drivers and selected one of the many options for injectors (listed as early or late with differing variations, but I do not know which strictly applies to mine).
However, at the preliminary stage, there is no connection to ECU. Have checked com port and drivers, which only leaves the wrong software. Have dropped an email to the supplier for confirmation, but am also guessing that the different software is only for different injectors and would not relate to the ECU?

Assuming its the right Software and Lead, could be a com port problem, is the lead an RS232 connection to the Lappy and if so, does it have an USB adaptor buy any chance? 

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 30 August 2013, 17:49:12 »

I got the option with the USB connector, but I do think its the wrong software. Because the vap is bygas, that's what was supplied. Got a cable/interface which fitted, which was a start, but think I'm doomed to look for a new 'front end' kit so that it can be done a little easier, particularly if no joy from micromise. All feedback so far would suggest that they don't supply software. I don't think their email address works either, as all mail has come back to me undelivered after about three days. Going to try and ring them tomorrow.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 30 August 2013, 18:01:26 »

Can you post a pic of your LPG ECU and particularly any labels on it mate?

Your situation is getting painful :P so I just rang micromise for you, seeing as I'm not too far from them!

The chap was reasonably helpful. First off, he said if your kit is micromise, and the lead didn't come from them direct, you're flogging a dead horse, it will never connect.

Also, He said the company policy is that usually they only supply their software and lead to approved installers.

That doesn't mean necessarily micromise outlets... they just don't supply it to the general public, because they think it causes more trouble than it's worth.

What he did say, however, is that you WILL be able to get hold of the lead and software, IF you do it via an approved installer in ireland, and get them to contact micromise.

So it's possible to get it - just a bit of a faff.

We do need to see your ECU for sure to see what it is, first, though

For £300 for a brand new stag front end kit, be very, very wary about putting to much time and money into this one....

Out of interest, who installed it for you? Could I maybe email them, just to check things like RPM sensors are connected to the right places?

Without a micromise wiring diagram, it's very, very likely something has been mis-connected somewhere... for example, with no RPM signal or coolant temp info the ECU will never let it run on gas - it could be something that simple...

Really wish I could have checked all of this while you were over here, are you coming back at any point?  :-[

albitz

« Reply #116 on: 30 August 2013, 20:09:43 »

OP installed it himself James. :y

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 30 August 2013, 21:21:26 »

For £300 for a brand new stag front end kit, be very, very wary about putting to much time and money into this one....

That's the dilemma in a nutshell.
I'm gutted that I couldn't organise a trip to yours, or even micromise, when I was over. I considered a return trip, but have now decided it wouldn't really be cost effective, based on a £200 ish ferry crossing, travel, accommodation, etc if a new stag kit would be £300. I should have gone down that road in the first place, and my (ignorant) attempts at cutting a few corners have proved very costly.
I haven't really checked the install as far as wiring is concerned, as I am quite confident with it. However, as the kit is basically not recognised here, and appears to have a few idiosyncrasies, I can't be sure if there is not something else amiss, and I don't know that I would, or could, find it.
Where would you recommend I start my search for a new kit?

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 30 August 2013, 21:49:19 »

Oh, and thanks for contacting them. Very helpful and kind  :)

albitz

« Reply #119 on: 30 August 2013, 21:51:01 »

I would investigate the possibility of a Micromise agent over there speaking to them on your behalf before condemning it. You've put to much time / effort into it and probably got 99% of the job done.It would be a shame to rip it out again if it can be avoided. ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 17 queries.