Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ECU Fail  (Read 1408 times)

Lampynoiseboy

• SE Essex
  • pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
    • '51 3.2 Elite "Floozy"
    • View Profile
ECU Fail
« on: 17 September 2013, 18:23:00 »

Hi All

Contrary to popular belief that it doesn't happen, I have just had an ECU failure, this appears to be the 2nd in a short space of time, not me but Toledodude1973 http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=115237.0

Anyhoo, as a guide for anyone else, here's the comedy series of events of mine.

Car doors unlock as normal with remote after parked for approx 20 mins.
Dead on attempted starting, slight click but nowt else.
Measured battery voltage, ok
Eventually started, but with spanner light, and a complete reset including defaulting to German language & asking me if I wanted to "make an emergency call" despite having no SIM card (once I'd put it back to English & could read it!).
1/2 mile later, TC light & limp home mode, approx 10mph.
Off & on again, spanner only, full drive for about a mile, then TC & limp
And repeat about 30 times until I got home  >:( this included 2 occasions of totally dead, although no language reset.
Limped to mechanics next day, all manner of error codes.
Cleaned throttle body, slight improvement, replaced with known working body, no improvement, looks like mine was dirty anyway.
Various other things tried (I was away working), no joy.
Vx man (dealer's help guy from actual VX) plugged his computer in, couldn't work it out, suggested arcing in coil packs, duff sparkplugs or leads may be causing spikes to ECU & errors.
Replaced plugs, checked all else, no help or signs of carbonising or arcing.
Car only revs to 2.5k before TC light appears, however if revved very slowly, it would go all the way

Albitz suggested based on the above thread that the ECU may be duff, borrowed one from him complete with immobiliser ignition ring & chipped key & hey presto, good as new.

Whether there was a fault that killed the ECU, or whether it was just an ECU dying of old age  remains to be seen!

Very happy & grateful Lampy  :D

Financially better off Albitz  :y

On the side of this, as I asked elsewhere on here, bunny-hopping and stalling at less than 1/4 tank of fuel, changed MAF, no avail, will advise if this has also cured when I get low enough.....wonder if it was an advance warning?
If not, I'm still open to suggestions on that one!!

Once again, an ENORMOUS thank you to Albitz, couldn't have done it without him  :y :y :y
« Last Edit: 17 September 2013, 18:28:55 by Lampynoiseboy »
Trouble strikes in series of three's, but when working on the car, the next job after a series of three is not the fourth job -- it's the start of a brand new series of three

albitz

Re: ECU Fail
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2013, 18:30:07 »

Glad you got it sorted Lampy. Scenarios like that can drive you to distraction trying to get to the bottom of them.
Tbh,I was pretty sceptical that it would be a faulty ECU,but as you had tried just about everything else and your localish,it was always going to be worth a try,if only to eliminate the possibility.
I was a tad surprised when you told me it had cured the problem,but it did,which is the main thing. :y

Funnily enough,my reply to Toledodude was almost the same,word for word as this one. ;)

Lampynoiseboy

• SE Essex
    • '51 3.2 Elite "Floozy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2013, 18:35:07 »

So i saw mate!  ;D
Trouble strikes in series of three's, but when working on the car, the next job after a series of three is not the fourth job -- it's the start of a brand new series of three

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2013, 11:14:35 »

Something smells here.

You have had systems reseting which the ECU does not even connect to......

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2013, 12:12:25 »

Something smells here.

You have had systems reseting which the ECU does not even connect to......

Wiring glitch perhaps :-\ the only thing that completely cured mine was a new loom...

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 September 2013, 12:13:52 »

Still no, there is no full can setup on these cars so its mostly hard wired interconnects.

The only thing that could potentialy cause it is a very low voltage

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 September 2013, 12:17:11 »

Yep, sounds to me like the voltage dipped during start and upset a few (as said, completely independent) electronic systems. I wonder if there was a freak corruption of the ECU's config at this point, causing continued running issues once the power was restored. If so, it might have been possible to save it by reprogramming it with Tech 2?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 September 2013, 12:22:32 »

It might be prudent to check the alternator output, actually, because the other possibility is that the voltage got too high, causing a few systems to go into limp-home.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lampynoiseboy

• SE Essex
    • '51 3.2 Elite "Floozy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 September 2013, 21:32:56 »

Interesting

I've buzzed alternator, seems normal as does battery. Seems fine a week or so after new ECU.

Odd about the complete reset though, didn't occur to me it wasn't connected. Seems to point to a random voltage spike, I get a lot of weird stuff from mains spikes in my job......only thing I can say is it wan't struck by lightning!

Voltage dip would have the same effect? Surely a slowly dying battery would then cause the same effect if stating attempted, and be a regular occurrence around these parts?

Albitz will have the old one soon if anyone fancies the Tech2 route for a go?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 17 queries.