Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elite Suspension  (Read 1117 times)

Duke01

• Southampton
    • 03 3.2 Elite Lpg
    • View Profile
Elite Suspension
« on: 25 September 2013, 21:07:07 »

Evening. I would like to upgrade the Elite suspension (facelift 3.2) for something a bit stiffer.
I know this prob gets asked a lot but i dont want to use Mv6 bits and end up lowering the car, as it has a Lpg tank in the boot and a towbar.
Mv6 performance would be great but at the Elite height! I am happy with the Vaux self levellers but not a problem if i have to lose them, and i dont really want Monroe self level.
Do Vaux do heavy duty Shocks/springs?
Any Ideas?

chrisgixer

Re: Elite Suspension
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2013, 21:13:13 »

Yes they do, although I'm not familiar with those.

Any gm springs will work with sl shocks which maintain ride height well.

Just match the front shocks and springs with what ever springs you fit to the rear. :y

Although gm springs are a little expensive to say the least. Standard kyb, or boge maybe?

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2013, 00:27:38 »

Keep the self levellers, but swap the springs for plod ones :y

They're slightly more robust than standard :y someone is bound to have a set knocking about...

Also consider replacing the rear subframe bushes with poly ones and also the front wishbone horizontal bushes and anti roll bar bushes with poly ones. These help stiffen the chassis noticeably  :y

Saloon or estate btw?

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2013, 01:04:31 »

On the subject of springs.... I have a 3.2 Elite saloon with which I tow a car transporter with. Fully laden, the Omega tows it very well. However, over the years I have broken a few GM rear springs on both sides - always on the 'pigtail'. Following the last spring change, I noticed the car was still sitting rather low at the rear, and I realised that the compressor had packed up, and possibly the springs had been doing all the work without any assistance from the s/l shocks. With a replacement compressor, the ride height has now returned to normal and raises correctly.
At the moment it has genuine GM standard Elite air suspension springs with 'LA' markings. I also have a set of GM springs from a Police 3.2 estate (which had been used on a skid pan so were nicely oiled with not an ounce of rust!) with the markings 'LK'.
I have two queries -
- Does anyone know whether the 'LK' springs are standard 3.2 Elite s/l rear springs for an estate, or specifically a Police spec spring?
- If I was to fit these 'LK' springs from the 3.2 Police estate to the 3.2 saloon, would the ride height be affected as I am assuming that the spring is firmer, or would it ride at the same height once the s/l suspension has done its bit?
I've not found any reference to the poundage / lb2 (in old money) for the different springs and my local VX dealer just scratched his head with a blank look on his face when I asked!!
Any info would be appreciated!

2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

chrisgixer

« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2013, 09:10:07 »

The self levelling will, in my experience of fitting mv6 springs on an 03elite, find the ride height of the new springs automatically. This came as a suprise as I was expecting to have to tweak the level arm link rod to suspension arm to achieve the same thing.

But either way, the springs set the ride height, then the sl set to match.

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2013, 13:07:01 »

Estate and saloon springs are not interchangeable  :'( estate springs are longer...

Plod springs give a pretty standard ride height, but are beefier. My ex plod estate has done 254k, and is still on its original springs.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2013, 15:34:59 »

Thanks for the replies.
Did Police 3.2 saloons with s/l shocks have stiffer springs than the standard 3.2 Elite? I want the ride height to stay the same, but stiffer springs would be advantageous......
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 26 September 2013, 18:43:02 »

Yes :y might only be if ordered with the Rough Road suspension though :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #8 on: 26 September 2013, 20:07:43 »

As Sl says, yes. Elites are exceptionally soft, so any spring worth the name will be stiffer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.