Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Welding, and remember my garage electrics?  (Read 11364 times)

chrisgixer

Re: Welding, and remember my garage electrics?
« Reply #45 on: 30 September 2013, 00:37:29 »

How long is the cable extention?, I personally think you should start again from scratch. May be able to get my hands on some 3 core (4mm SWA Amoured) for a price of a beer if its of use to you, as long as its not hundreds of meters.  ;)
For the garage? Or as an extension? :-\  they're right you know, no idea. ;D

Think I've got a real in the garage of something. Looks like the stuff they use on a cooker. :-\

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 30 September 2013, 10:07:42 »

Those welders are known to have a few issues (check out mig-wleding.co.uk).

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #47 on: 30 September 2013, 17:15:25 »

Why? Ive got one, its rated at 13amp fully unwound
1) The cable takes a battering when being fully unwound
2) They tend to be so cheap and nasty, that their specs leave little leeway

3) That was what the fire brigade thought caused my problem.

Point taken on 1 (if you hang it up out the way everytime after use and dont leave if on the floor where you can walk on it, dump other items on top of it) & 3. Agree with 2 on the cheapo ones, good quality ones (like mine....got it off an electrician years ago...and he never bought cheap always quality)

chrisgixer

« Reply #48 on: 30 September 2013, 18:14:40 »

Today, I are be mostly, welding!

chrisgixer

« Reply #49 on: 30 September 2013, 18:15:36 »

And filled on one of the holes, and ground it flat. :)

chrisgixer

« Reply #50 on: 30 September 2013, 18:16:12 »

With help from Ex Taxi Al. ;)

chrisgixer

« Reply #51 on: 01 October 2013, 08:11:49 »

With help from Ex Taxi Al. ;)

...and all of those here of course. :-[ :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 01 October 2013, 09:51:48 »

Keep practising, I would guess that is pretty thick steel and hence not good for practising on (as you need to learn to observe the weld pool and penetration and the welder you have wont penetrate a big thickness without prep work) so find some 1.6-2mm steel plate.

Remember, if you cant get good at welding then get good at grinding.  ;D ;D ;D

And for grinding, dump the hard discs and get some 40 or 60 grit flap discs.

aaronjb

« Reply #53 on: 01 October 2013, 09:56:29 »

Thick is not the word for what Chris was trying to weld together - it was two chunks of ~4mm plate with no chamfer or prep.. I think he probably did well considering how far outside the operating range of the welder he was..

chrisgixer

« Reply #54 on: 01 October 2013, 10:46:55 »

Yes it was 4mm plate x2, and was starting to struggle once going back over a weld, to fill in a slight gap and just to see, as the first weld had increased the thickness over all. You can see the first weld on the lower right is quite clean, compared to the second over the top on weld, on the left, which has small splatter surrounding it. Same settings.

After fiddling with only 3 adjustments, power dial set to max, two switches giving a combination of 4 settings for wire thickness of 0.8mm , and wire tension backed off to almost zero as it was pushing the torch away, it did give a decent results, but only if the torch was moved at the right speed (obviously, but a slight variation of torch speed was very marked)
 So it did seem to be the limit of the machine. But with the wire set, I guess only tension and power need adjusting for thinner materials...?

It must have taken 7 or 8 attempts to get there, as the pic, the first leaving one of those dead worms you see on the patio after heavy rain that's then dried up in the sun ;D which just brushed off with a glove. ;D

Al said the colour of the residual light changed remarkably as we dialled in on the right settings, with purple/blue being evident on a decent weld, compared to yellow originally, and lots of sparks. I could see none of this behind the mask of course, as everything is dark green, just the intensity of a properly white hot weld being evident when all was well. :)

And talking of the mask, that took some fiddling as well, and trust that it will actually change when you strike on and not blind me. That took several attempts to properly stare at the weld pool with confidence. They are good those solar sell masks, it seems to me. Almost didn't notice it changing as it reacted to the changing light conditions. Impressive. :y

Good advice on here too. Btw. Thankyou. :y

aaronjb

« Reply #55 on: 01 October 2013, 10:51:47 »

Did I mention that I'm slightly jealous you have a welder? :-[

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 01 October 2013, 10:57:02 »

After fiddling with only 3 adjustments, power dial set to max, two switches giving a combination of 4 settings for wire thickness of 0.8mm , and wire tension backed off to almost zero as it was pushing the torch away, it did give a decent results, but only if the torch was moved at the right speed (obviously, but a slight variation of torch speed was very marked)
 So it did seem to be the limit of the machine. But with the wire set, I guess only tension and power need adjusting for thinner materials...?

Ahh.. The two switches sound like current, and you want them set to max. for this metal. The rotary dial is actually the wire feed rate, I reckon, and the fact that you say the wire was pushing you away from the work suggests you had it too high. The wire shouldn't touch the work once an arc is established. The feed rate needs to be adjusted so that, at the current you have selected, an arc is continuously formed between the emerging wire and the work. i.e. the wire is basically being deposited as filler at the same rate as it's emerging from the torch. 

Back this control off until you get the "fried eggs" sound and you should do better.  :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 01 October 2013, 11:22:55 »

If you had to back the wire tension off you have issues.

What you have done is effectively allow some slip (not good) in the drive wheels to overcome the feed rate being to high, wind the feed rate down to get it right.

If you set the tension pretty high and then weld whilst adjusting the feed rate you will get it setup quite quickly.

Most welders also partialy compensate the feed rate based on current for the metal type used, the feed rate stays pretty constant setting wise no matter what the power setting.

The yellow coloured arc indicates either a contamination on the work piece (e.g. the surface not being clean) or the shield gas was not flowing enough/at all

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 01 October 2013, 11:23:35 »

Did I mention that I'm slightly jealous you have a welder? :-[

A man can never have to many power tools..........they are the equivalent of shoes with women

05omegav6

« Reply #59 on: 01 October 2013, 11:37:51 »

The feed rate didn't seem to change with dial settings, but I guess a reasonable amount of tension would then give the machine some resitance, thereby controlling the feed rate more readily :-\

Funny you should mention shoes ::)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.