Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nottingham Tram Crossing Death - RAIB Report released  (Read 901 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Nottingham Tram Crossing Death - RAIB Report released
« on: 04 October 2013, 13:54:41 »

As always, interesting reading.

The conclusion makes interesting reading

http://www.raib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/130926_R192013_Bayles_and_Wylies.pdf

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Nottingham Tram Crossing Death - RAIB Report released
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2013, 14:11:42 »

Had a good read through that, very interesting. One aspect for me, which they don't appear to mention (maybe i missed it) was headphones?

Was she on her phone or listening to music? Hence not hearing it? Even then, you would have thought a train horn would be loud enough, but having said that, being on a bus in London you hear how loud some teens have their music. You can be on the top deck and hear a person on the lower deck and their choice of music  ::)

Either way, it's very clear that is a rail crossing. Like a road look both ways, has to be said at night it would have been easier to see tram because of headlights at night?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2013, 15:17:04 »

The reports rarely ever point the finger but rather drop large hints, in this one they make statements that certain things could be improved but, the individual clearly failed to look or hear the tram despite the presence of headlights and the use of the horn

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2013, 15:17:35 »

Had a good read through that, very interesting. One aspect for me, which they don't appear to mention (maybe i missed it) was headphones?

Was she on her phone or listening to music? Hence not hearing it? Even then, you would have thought a train horn would be loud enough, but having said that, being on a bus in London you hear how loud some teens have their music. You can be on the top deck and hear a person on the lower deck and their choice of music  ::)

Either way, it's very clear that is a rail crossing. Like a road look both ways, has to be said at night it would have been easier to see tram because of headlights at night?

I think you missed it.
I like red cars

cleggy

« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2013, 15:29:48 »

It is sad that this happened, however my thoughts are  with the tram driver. :(

We can't legislate against idiots who are not taught the basic precautions when crossing a road let alone a tram or train line, safety and life are not to be messed with.

We use to go to the local cut and put ha'penny's on the line so a passing train made then a  bigger ( the shop never took them as a penny tho'), but had a great deal of respect for our safety and the danger involved. :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #5 on: 04 October 2013, 15:56:05 »

Very interesting, and of course very tragic.

We are all human and suffer from the weaknesses of being so, especially when still a child.  No legislation can change that, and life will always be one great risk from cradle (if not before) to grave.

I feel for the parents who have suffered a huge loss, and for the poor tram driver who must have, and probably still is, going through hell trying to answer the impossible; could I have done more to save that child? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

MR MISTER

« Reply #6 on: 04 October 2013, 16:21:58 »

Did anyone see 'Mayhem and mishaps' last night? It's more common than you think.(That is, walking around oblivious to your surroundings).  In fact, it's endemic.

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 04 October 2013, 20:06:31 »

The reports rarely ever point the finger but rather drop large hints, in this one they make statements that certain things could be improved but, the individual clearly failed to look or hear the tram despite the presence of headlights and the use of the horn

About the only other thing left would be to have someone walking in front of the tram, waving a big red flag and carrying a big stick to prod anyone in the way with ::)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 October 2013, 20:12:52 »

The most dangerous thing we all do is moving around, be that on foot, bicycle, motorbike, car, boat, bus, train or aircraft. Between them they will kill 1 in 200 of us in our lifetime, which is why we all know people that have died in this way.  :'(

We all need to take more care when moving around.  :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 17 queries.