Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine temp gauge  (Read 1486 times)

andrew38

• Farnborough, Hampshire
  • Insignia 2.0Cdti 163
    • View Profile
Engine temp gauge
« on: 17 December 2013, 15:18:39 »

Took the car out today for a run and noticed the temp gauge barely moved off the bump stop, its always been lazy but has always moved towards the half way point. Heater, though hard to call it that, was blowing out its normal barely warm air even though the top and bottom heater hoses are too hot too keep your hand on so plenty of heat in the engine. Its a 2.6 just wondering if others have had this and can offer any advise.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: Engine temp gauge
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2013, 15:40:40 »

2 schools on this, and i did both together..
new coolent temp sensor. And new thermostat..
Hoof'land storeman.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 December 2013, 15:46:20 »

Worth doing a pedal trick, any work done recently? Worth checking the brass connector on the coolant bridge.

If you remove the vac hose on the HBV, heaters to 'HI' does the air blow hot?

andrew38

• Farnborough, Hampshire
  • Insignia 2.0Cdti 163
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 December 2013, 15:57:53 »

Thanks for the replies, no work done recently, though have not used the car for a couple of weeks and started a couple of times and then stalled with a flashing red spanner light, done that ever since I have had the car. Only seems to happen when been left standing and the battery is getting low, if battery is dead and you charge the battery no problems and when you use the car every few days again no issues. Can't see that effecting the gauge.

As for HBV where is that? I have no ramps the heater has been pants ever since I have had the car, once it gets below 5deg or so outside you get cold, crank the heater up to 28 and the fans get tiresome on continual high speed.

How easy is it to change the temp sender. is it buried in the V somewhere or easy to get to?

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 December 2013, 16:02:12 »

This will be a lazy thermostat...

andrew38

• Farnborough, Hampshire
  • Insignia 2.0Cdti 163
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2013, 16:06:56 »

Thanks for all the replies, quite a bit to go through over Christmas break. I would like to get my heater working correctly at the same time its really rubbish.

albitz

« Reply #6 on: 17 December 2013, 16:07:50 »

And possibly a heater matrix in need of flushing too. Ime if the stat is lazy the heater will still give plenty of heat in the car. It will just take longer for it to come through.

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 17 December 2013, 16:37:21 »

And possibly a heater matrix in need of flushing too. Ime if the stat is lazy the heater will still give plenty of heat in the car. It will just take longer for it to come through.
Not when the temp drops below 10'... With the aircon on and the front fans running there's so much air through the radiator the engine struggles to reach much over 50'. The gauge only moving if the car is stationary or ragged with the aircon off and heater set to LO...

Makes for a miserable winter  :'(

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 December 2013, 16:46:03 »

Start engine from cold, with heating/air con all set to OFF, and stand with one hand on the large diameter pipe from the thermostat to the radiator. Allow engine to idle, as it warms up what SHOULD happen is the pipe stays cold until a sudden surge of hot water as the thermostat opens... IF the pipe just gradually warms up the thermostat is stuck open and needs changing.

seeemplees .. :)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 December 2013, 16:46:17 »

I put money on temperature sensor, as the gauge isn't moving, or corrosion on the temperature sender.
 hbv has nothing to do with temp gauge,and as for fault codes be a first unless the temp sensor has properly failed,again be a first.
Hoof'land storeman.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 December 2013, 17:33:38 »

You can prove the gauge by removing the blue wire from the temps sensor and 'grounding' it to earth ....... the gauge should move to fully hot.

I'd go with the theory of a lazy/stuck thermostat though ........ PITA the replace  ;)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 December 2013, 17:39:19 »

Think I have the prospect of replacing thermostat sometime soon as mine wont get the gauge much beyond 80 and top hose test is pointing that way.

Oh the joys of the Omega this time of year,only saving grace is I have all the bits to hand from my constant stock piling of parts when I see them cheap ;D

andrew38

• Farnborough, Hampshire
  • Insignia 2.0Cdti 163
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 December 2013, 19:18:30 »

Thanks all for the advise, I will do the hose test at the weekend from cold, I don't have the A/C on much in the winter keep in ECO the car is cold enough as it is :)
I had the thermostat replaced when the cambelt was done as it was an easy job to do at the same time along with the water pump, probably a bit too belt and braces because at the time the car had only done 35k miles. Heater has never been good though.

One question on the HBV, I have no water leaks at all, but can the HBV jam and not leak, would the HBV test prove this by disconnecting the vacuum pipe. Not sure if it has much bearing but car has just passed the 54k mark. I had the cooling system flushed when the new rad was fitted earlier in the year, would not that have cleared the crud from the system, tbh made no difference to the heating. Sorry if asking a stupid question but I am no mechanic.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 December 2013, 19:30:33 »

I don't have the A/C on much in the winter keep in ECO the car is cold enough as it is :)

air conditioned air can be warm too ......... it doesn't have to be cold.

Ensure you run the a/c regularly though to avoid drying out seals ..... best bet is to run it in AUTO all the time.  ;) ;) ;)

What's the heat to & from the heater matrix like? Despite the engine having had a flush, it's easy for the matrix to get missed ...... it needs a decent flow through it to give you heat inside the car.
« Last Edit: 17 December 2013, 19:32:52 by Andy B »

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 December 2013, 22:07:13 »

...or at the very least run the air con at least ten mins a month  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.