Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega number 2  (Read 2644 times)

Dan282

• Stoke on trent
    • 2001 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
Omega number 2
« on: 23 December 2013, 17:56:16 »

I'm going to get another omega tomorrow. Not sure what my plans are with it but most likely fix the niggles and pop it on ebay in the new year.

My lady thinks I'm mad but I'm taking a punt on it.

It's a w plate 2.2 cd in silver with 130k on although it had a replacement engine and gearbox in 2009. Needs glove box handle, possibly a new battery and a good valet but we will see. Looking forward to driving a 2.2 for the first time aswell.
« Last Edit: 23 December 2013, 17:57:59 by Dan282 »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Omega number 2
« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2013, 17:59:04 »

Is it a manual? 2.2's are so much easier to work on, they love fresh oil. Nice and easily to clean the breathers, worth popping off throttle body and giving them a damn good clean.

Also a good service (plugs, filters, oils) does wonders on them.  :y

Dan282

• Stoke on trent
    • 2001 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 December 2013, 18:01:19 »

It's an auto mate. It's got a load of service history so hoping there's not much to do. Will change the oil for sure.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #3 on: 23 December 2013, 18:04:30 »

Yes they are a doddle to work on , but to drive I think they are gutless compared to the V6.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 December 2013, 18:09:56 »

It's an auto mate. It's got a load of service history so hoping there's not much to do. Will change the oil for sure.

Drop coolant too, if it's a keeper. Check for cam belt history too, also make sure it's got a geniune cat downpipe, the pattern ones are just utter shite.

Yes they are a doddle to work on , but to drive I think they are gutless compared to the V6.

Depends what you want, 2.2 will cruise quite happily at 80mph just like my 3.2. Wack on cruise, sits there all day, granted though the 3.2 gets there quicker and 80+ it just pulls and pulls.

Dan282

• Stoke on trent
    • 2001 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 December 2013, 18:12:17 »

Drop coolant too, if it's a keeper. Check for cam belt history too, also make sure it's got a geniune cat downpipe, the pattern ones are just utter shite.

Depends what you want, 2.2 will cruise quite happily at 80mph just like my 3.2. Wack on cruise, sits there all day, granted though the 3.2 gets there quicker and 80+ it just pulls and pulls.

Will do. Sure it was cambelted when the new engine went it. Are the 2.2's still 40k or 4 years. It got a new full exhaust just fitted so I will check that. Getting it about 11am tomorrow.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2013, 18:16:03 »

Sounds good, yes, 40k/4 years. Although with 2.2 it's also critical for water pump to be replaced too  :y

Have a nose around the exhaust flexi too, these can be cut out and welded in. Trouble is many 2.2's would have gone through one by now, so may have a pattern cat unless done right first time around.

If its worn/freyed, no bother, just £15 for a replacement. Then beer supplies to someone with a plasma cutter. :)

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 December 2013, 18:19:49 »

Bit of a pointless comment IMO. :) Bit like saying the V6 is gutless compared to V8/10/12
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Dan282

• Stoke on trent
    • 2001 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 December 2013, 18:21:55 »

Sounds good, yes, 40k/4 years. Although with 2.2 it's also critical for water pump to be replaced too  :y

Have a nose around the exhaust flexi too, these can be cut out and welded in. Trouble is many 2.2's would have gone through one by now, so may have a pattern cat unless done right first time around.

If its worn/freyed, no bother, just £15 for a replacement. Then beer supplies to someone with a plasma cutter. :)

Cheers will do. What about headgasket wise? The seller stated they had a new head gasket "a few years ago" and mentions often about the number of receipts so I'm fairly confident. For the price it is a bit of a punt.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 December 2013, 18:41:16 »

Cheers will do. What about headgasket wise? The seller stated they had a new head gasket "a few years ago" and mentions often about the number of receipts so I'm fairly confident. For the price it is a bit of a punt.

Be good to know what miles it had done on HG failure, points to abuse or dealer service intervals.

FatherT's 2.2 was Vx services (fleet car) - It's HG failed at ~95k

My 2.2, DIY service by me, is on 167k, on its original head gasket  :)

Dan282

• Stoke on trent
    • 2001 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 December 2013, 18:58:49 »

Not sure but if it was a few years ago I'm guessing around the 120k mark.
« Last Edit: 23 December 2013, 19:01:43 by Dan282 »

2boxerdogs

« Reply #11 on: 23 December 2013, 23:21:51 »

Bit of a pointless comment IMO. :) Bit like saying the V6 is gutless compared to V8/10/12
Not pointless just my opinion having one of each, as for V6 against V8 etc the only thing really better would be the exhaust note,my 2.6 is also better on fuel than the 2.2 .The only reason I bought the 2.2 for my wife was the fact it was 1 owner minter , came with every piece of paper from new.She loves it & protests when I refer to it as the"gutless wonder".

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 December 2013, 23:25:12 »

But quite capable of daily use, and hardly a slouch for such a big car, even in auto........ :y :y

Dan282

• Stoke on trent
    • 2001 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 December 2013, 07:36:23 »

It's about 100 miles back so I'm keen to find out after only having v6's

2boxerdogs

« Reply #14 on: 24 December 2013, 13:35:21 »

But quite capable of daily use, and hardly a slouch for such a big car, even in auto........ :y :y
Yes quite capable, but not as enjoyable !!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 18 queries.