Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I was just thinking........  (Read 3169 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: I was just thinking........
« Reply #15 on: 30 January 2014, 17:35:00 »

Just been looking around at cars on the bay, autotrader and a couple of dealers, as you do... ;) ;)

Thinking about previous purchases and going back 30+ years, the most unreliable car I ever bought second hand was a one that I bought the way we would advise....... ::) ::) search for the best, check everything out etc, having searched the Country etc..........It was, by coincidence, a Mig...... :-X

What were your bad purchases?

A Mercedes CLS 500. :-X
Is the honeymoon over then Mr Opti :-\

I have a nagging suspicion, Mr Al.

Let's hope it comes to nothing. :y
Is this suspicion about your Mercedes Benz a costly one?

Potentially. :-X

Stemo

« Reply #16 on: 30 January 2014, 17:38:35 »

Just been looking around at cars on the bay, autotrader and a couple of dealers, as you do... ;) ;)

Thinking about previous purchases and going back 30+ years, the most unreliable car I ever bought second hand was a one that I bought the way we would advise....... ::) ::) search for the best, check everything out etc, having searched the Country etc..........It was, by coincidence, a Mig...... :-X

Oh dear. Should have bought one of those nice chevrolets.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 January 2014, 17:41:39 »

Oh dear. Should have bought one of those nice Daewoo's

The thought did occur (briefly) :P :P :)

Stemo

« Reply #18 on: 30 January 2014, 17:45:28 »

Oh dear. Should have bought one of those nice Daewoo's

The thought did occur (briefly) :P :P :)
No. I meant a camaro.  ;D

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 January 2014, 19:38:21 »

The worst a Triumph Herald managed 7miles in that from pick up to breakdown! Every journey an adventure!!Next worst was a Mk1 Scirrocco damn thing would only ever start on the key when it felt like it[which was seldom]sold it after 3 weeks.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 January 2014, 19:49:43 »

MkII Astra Belmont 1.8GLSi

Only had it 3 months or so, did about 20k in it. The first engine was a dream, that thing flew (still hated it though). All good things must come to an end, and its replacement engine was just gutless.

However, the only unreliability it gave was a chit chat between pistons and valves after racing a mate in his Saab 9000.

Its replacement, a MkII Astra GTE broke down on the first day. I swore, after those 2, I'd never, ever, ever own another Vauxhall. And every time I have another, I remember why I swear it'll always be the last ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 January 2014, 19:50:46 »

Suppose Project Tractor/TB2 has to be in there for unreliability, although it never failed to get to its destination.
Grumpy old man

Grrrrrr

• Intermediate Member
  • Buckinghamshire
    • Jaguar. WTF have I done?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 January 2014, 20:33:22 »

Range Rover P38.

Every time I get in and everything works is a good day!
Work is the curse of the drinking classes (Oscar Wilde)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 January 2014, 21:08:15 »

MGA840V

Avenger estate. Bought as a workhorse whilst I rebuilt a rear ended 4 month old Astra SRI. Was great for carrying body panels and other assorted bits and bobs but was the most unreliable of starters. And wet. Really wet inside. Seriously considered dual wipers - inside and outside the screen as demos ting was a joke. And that was after removing carper and sound deadening. Frekking thing never dried out. Scrapped it eventually......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 January 2014, 21:30:04 »

Only had it 3 months or so, did about 20k in it. The first engine was a dream, that thing flew (still hated it though). All good things must come to an end, and its replacement engine was just gutless.

However, the only unreliability it gave was a chit chat between pistons and valves after racing a mate in his Saab 9000.

Its replacement, a MkII Astra GTE broke down on the first day. I swore, after those 2, I'd never, ever, ever own another Vauxhall. And every time I have another, I remember why I swear it'll always be the last ;D

The 16 valve version was a properly quick little car. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30 January 2014, 21:32:07 »

In a straight line from a rolling start. But then they weighed sod all, and produced good power.

Still a girls car.
Grumpy old man

Stemo

« Reply #26 on: 31 January 2014, 10:37:07 »

In a straight line from a rolling start. But then they weighed sod all, and produced good power.

Still a girls car.
I disagree. I thought they were great cars, far too nippy for a girlie.
I remember the police in Liverpool having XR3i's, so all the scallies bought GTE's. No contest.
« Last Edit: 31 January 2014, 10:38:44 by STEMO »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 31 January 2014, 10:45:40 »

Still a girls car.
I disagree. I thought they were great cars, far too nippy for a girlie.
I remember the police in Liverpool having XR3i's, so all the scallies bought GTE's. No contest.

Agreed. The 16 valve version had 150 BHP in a body that weighed virtually nothing by the standards of today.

150 BHP is far too much for a mere 'girlie' to handle. :y

These things were doing seven point something to sixty way back in the late eighties. :y

P.S................. XR3/XR3i was a 'hairdresser's car'.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 31 January 2014, 11:07:45 »

157bhp in the rare early non-cat version

Proper fast little engine and quite pretty to (did I just say that?  ???)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 31 January 2014, 13:40:38 »

My recollection from the time is that they were "traction limited" to about 120 BHP. The rest went into generating smoke if you tried to punt it off the lights too quick. ;D Still quick, though. Made an XR3i feel like it was going backwards. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 18 queries.