Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Can it go wrong?  (Read 2064 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Can it go wrong?
« on: 01 February 2014, 05:48:32 »

Had my Jaguar advertised for sale,apart from one muppet wasting my time offering under 50% of my asking price I've so far had one other buyer interested in it.Now this one got in touch by text[as I'd asked for]initially and since by e-mail.A price has been agreed but they want to pay by paypal and then get another party to turn up to collect the car.They've never been to view the car yet say they're satisfied with its condition.Can this go wrong i.e. is it some kind of scam that I'm not seeing?

cleggy

Re: Can it go wrong?
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2014, 06:23:12 »

I think I would want cash on collection just to be safe :y

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2014, 07:01:11 »

Was it from an AutoTrader listing by any chance  ::)

Had a few messages like this from AutoTrader listings, I've copied / pasted one below I received some time ago...

Thanks for your urgent response, I'm okay with the price and I'm pleased with the condition as i have already gone through it on the advert, but just trying to make little inquiry from you, I'm ready to  buy it now as a gift for my Daughter, I'm at sea at the moment as I'm  a Navy Officer,and due to the nature of my Job.....phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert. I really want it to be a surprise for my Daughter i won't let her know anything about it until it gets delivered to her, i am sure she will be more than happy with it. I insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account on-line as i don't have Internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, get back to me with your PayPal email asap so as to proceed on with the payment  quickly, and sorry if you don't have a PayPal Account, you sign-up for a PayPal personal account www.PayPal.com it is very fast and easy to set up. And there is a shipping company pick up agent that will come for the pick up after the payment has been sorted out .

Await your swift response asap.

Thanks.

There are other types of emails, But all every similar, I always respond " Cash on collection only sorry, If your still interested give me a Call on #### so we can discuss this " .. They never usually respond, But if they do respond it's with a message like the one above.

ozzycat

• Omega Baron
  • chudliegh knighton /devon
    • hyundia i30
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2014, 08:45:08 »

its a con mate next they will ask for you to pay shipping via american union or somthing like that then saying they will put the money in a holding account in pay pal they wil then ask you for more money for shiping paypal dont have holding accounts its a scam dont doit tell him to go forth an d multiply
    ozzy
this is a great forum lets not spoil it
long live the magic tree
its good to be back

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2014, 08:54:45 »

I think its a more simple con actually.

They pay you via Paypal & you get the mone - so far so good  :y.

Then someone comes to collect the car & drives it away, you think the issue is closed - but it isn't, as another person arrives shortly afterwards to collect the car! "we paid you via paypal" & produce the paperwork to prove it.

Essentially you have been setup by then both working together and allowing the car to be nicked. They then get a refund from paypal!

Plomien

• Omega Baron
  • Swansea
  • Rescue the beer and drink the maiden
    • Landrover Freelander TD4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2014, 09:28:52 »

ask for a direct bank transfer, say you don't use paypal
No more Omega but still hangs around

cam2502

• Omega Baron
  • dumfries,scotland
    • 08 BMW 520d & 03 Saab 95
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2014, 09:46:18 »

Certainly sounds dodgy. Bank transfer or cash is what I would insist on.  If they ain't happy with that,well I'm sure you'll sell the car to someone else who is genuine.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 February 2014, 10:50:37 »

Avoid.

Ever Ready

• Omega Knight
  • Scotland
    • 2.2 CD Auto, Pug 308Hdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2014, 11:01:06 »

Then someone comes to collect the car & drives it away, you think the issue is closed - but it isn't, as another person arrives shortly afterwards to collect the car! "we paid you via paypal" & produce the paperwork to prove it.

Essentially you have been setup by then both working together and allowing the car to be nicked. They then get a refund from paypal!

I totally agree, seen it happen loads of times with smaller items, they pay via Paypal and then ask for the item to be sent to a 'work or friends' address, after they have it they do a Paypal chargeback and say the item was not delivered to them at the registered address and Paypal/Ebay will side with the buyer
An ounce of experience is worth more than a pound of enthusiasm.

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2014, 12:27:45 »

don't think this is true as paypal  dosnt cover car sales

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2014, 12:43:38 »

Yes, I agree with everything others have said.  It is a scam, and one that has been highlighted on television in the past.

Avoid at all costs! :y :y

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2014, 16:54:22 »

don't think this is true as paypal  dosnt cover car sales

Looks like I was mis-informed then

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2014, 17:35:05 »

It was in response to an advert I placed on Gumtree.However their reasons for wanting to use paypal were essentially as Omegaman has posted,although not citing a particular job but claiming not to be able to get to a bank or do internet banking but having paypal linked to their bank account.I was tempted to agree but I don't know why I just felt uneasy with the arrangement and having read your comments I'll stick with that unease and not go through with the deal on those terms.If they want to turn up with the cash then I'll sell it.Once again the power of this forums wisdom shows through!Cheers people.

martin42

« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2014, 17:57:50 »

If they can access paypal,they can do online banking,glad youve taken the good advice on here.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #14 on: 01 February 2014, 19:36:48 »

No don't do it, cash on collection is the only way for a purchase/sale of this kind.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.