Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Headlight upgrade ?  (Read 3411 times)

Viking jay

• Manchester
  • Estonia born uk raised.
    • Omega estate auto 2.2 16v
    • View Profile
Headlight upgrade ?
« on: 06 February 2014, 14:34:06 »

My headlights are looking dull ( glass) and generally dated,are they all pretty much the same or are there some better quality ones?

05omegav6

Re: Headlight upgrade ?
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2014, 14:52:14 »

The glass (plastic) can be polished :y takes a bit of elbow grease...

Bulbs can be upgraded, but depends on type fitted :-\ if you have a GLS/CD or Sport then you probably have halogen bulbs fitted. Alot of people have replaced the standard bulbs with Osram Nightbreakers to good effect :y

If fitted with Xenons then not much you can do but clean the lenses. If starting to go pink, then new bulbs might be in order, but they're not cheap :-\

Viking jay

• Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2014, 18:15:56 »

Thats great,elbow grease time are they h7 bulbs
« Last Edit: 06 February 2014, 18:26:14 by Viking jay »

dazza88

• luton (bedfordshire)
    • 2001 2.6 v6 auto omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2014, 18:36:43 »

normal beam should be h1 and main beam h2 belongs you have standard bulbs.  :y
2002 2.2 cd auto             mrk2 astra gte
vauxhall colton               vauxhall omega 2.6 v6 auto
ford sierra saphire 20l   vauxhall omega 2.2 dti 02 plate

dazza88

• luton (bedfordshire)
    • 2001 2.6 v6 auto omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 February 2014, 18:38:59 »

The glass (plastic) can be polished :y takes a bit of elbow grease...

Bulbs can be upgraded, but depends on type fitted :-\ if you have a GLS/CD or Sport then you probably have halogen bulbs fitted. Alot of people have replaced the standard bulbs with Osram Nightbreakers to good effect :y

If fitted with Xenons then not much you can do but clean the lenses. If starting to go pink, then new bulbs might be in order, but they're not cheap :-\

Hello, just wondering were can you get those Osram Nightbreakers from plz, do halfords do them do you know.  :y

davieboy0312

• wishaw
    • 3l V6 saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 February 2014, 18:39:30 »

not being funny but I have heard and seen the plastic lenses being polished with toothpaste and worked great.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 February 2014, 19:02:34 »

Post `98 are H7
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 06 February 2014, 19:03:29 »

Readily available on Ebay, and from motor factors :y

dazza88

• luton (bedfordshire)
    • 2001 2.6 v6 auto omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 February 2014, 19:08:33 »

Post `98 are H7

Yep sorry I meant h7 poxy phone  :D

Viking jay

• Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 February 2014, 20:41:33 »

Cheers everyone...ordered from ebay 8. 99 plus free delivery

theonewhosmokes

• Rendlesham, Suffolk
    • 2000 Vauxhall Omega CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 March 2014, 18:38:14 »

Hi

Just wondering what's the best way to clean the plastic headlight cases please? Mine have become quite foggy and I'm sure it's affecting my vision at night.

I have got lights that flicker when they come on and go really bright (I'm so not technically minded and don't know the name of these type of lights lol).

Thanks in advance :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 March 2014, 19:52:25 »

Hi

Just wondering what's the best way to clean the plastic headlight cases please? Mine have become quite foggy and I'm sure it's affecting my vision at night.

I have got lights that flicker when they come on and go really bright (I'm so not technically minded and don't know the name of these type of lights lol).

The best way will depend on what you have available to you. If you have an abrasive polish like Brasso, T-cut, paint rubbing compound(G3, G10 etc) or similar  in the house, then use that. It will take a bit of effort, and possibly a couple of goes, but will do the job. Toothpaste is avery fine abrasive paste, so will work but is a lot of effort. Otherwise one of the headlight restoration kits would be the way to go. These are an expensive way to buy a commonly available abrasive in a pretty package. If your lights are really bad, then they(and your arm muscles!)  will benefit from using some fine wet&dry paper first. You'll be looking for a couple of sheets of at least 1000grit used very wet to avoid badly scratching the lens. If you have experience of flatting and polishing paint then using coarser abrasives or powertools is worth considering.

Mine were very rough and opaque; a couple of applications of Farecla G3 rubbing compound(coarse paste used for refreshing tired paint) brought them back to clear in about 10minutes and with minimal effort. I used coarse G3 simply because I had it in stock, I would have bought G10. Using powertools on plastic requires real care to be taken to avoid melting the surface; doing it by hand is much less risky. And at least a headlight isn't a big area.

theonewhosmokes

• Rendlesham, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 March 2014, 19:58:44 »

Hi

The best way will depend on what you have available to you. If you have an abrasive polish like Brasso, T-cut, paint rubbing compound(G3, G10 etc) or similar  in the house, then use that. It will take a bit of effort, and possibly a couple of goes, but will do the job. Toothpaste is avery fine abrasive paste, so will work but is a lot of effort. Otherwise one of the headlight restoration kits would be the way to go. These are an expensive way to buy a commonly available abrasive in a pretty package. If your lights are really bad, then they(and your arm muscles!)  will benefit from using some fine wet&dry paper first. You'll be looking for a couple of sheets of at least 1000grit used very wet to avoid badly scratching the lens. If you have experience of flatting and polishing paint then using coarser abrasives or powertools is worth considering.

Mine were very rough and opaque; a couple of applications of Farecla G3 rubbing compound(coarse paste used for refreshing tired paint) brought them back to clear in about 10minutes and with minimal effort. I used coarse G3 simply because I had it in stock, I would have bought G10. Using powertools on plastic requires real care to be taken to avoid melting the surface; doing it by hand is much less risky. And at least a headlight isn't a big area.

Thank you very much. I do have some T Cut which I recently used to cover up some scratches I came across. I shall give it a go tomorrow.

Thanks, Paul :)

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 March 2014, 07:47:01 »

You may find that t cut is not abrasive enough. I used 1200 grit then superfine, which is 2000 grit, and polished with g3 compond. About ten minutes work all told and both were like new again
Keith b

theonewhosmokes

• Rendlesham, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 March 2014, 11:56:54 »

You may find that t cut is not abrasive enough. I used 1200 grit then superfine, which is 2000 grit, and polished with g3 compond. About ten minutes work all told and both were like new again
Keith b

I tried it with T Cut and it's seemed to work :) I still need to clean them up a bit more as there is a red tinge from the T Cut lol!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.