Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: scratch and swirl removal  (Read 1426 times)

vauxlooney

• southport
    • omega 2.5
    • View Profile
scratch and swirl removal
« on: 01 March 2014, 19:24:36 »

Not sure if this is the right section to post in, as its not necessarily an Omega specific topic. All though it is in this case.

But have quite a few light scratches and swirl marks on my car i want to get rid of whilst its a bit sunny.

Anyone have any suggestions on products i can use, or tips on where to start?

Miggylover

• View Profile
Re: scratch and swirl removal
« Reply #1 on: 01 March 2014, 19:38:32 »

Kind of depends on your budget, Do you have a rotary buffer?

chrisgixer

« Reply #2 on: 01 March 2014, 19:41:27 »

Detailing world web site.

Thanks to ianu on here;

PREP
Jet wash off to remove gravel and dirt and small particles that scratch

Wash with two bucket method top first working down with wool mits. One for above the bump strips on the doors, one for below where its really mucky.

Clay bar to remove stuck particles that break off and scratch when polishing.

POLISH
Orbital polishe/buffer with terry towel pad, with McGuires scratchX2 on first attempt or bad ares. Removes deepish scratches and old wax. Then maybe auto glym super resin polish for less damaged areas and general use.

Then a good wax to protect you work. Think I use a Mcguires product there :-\

Its hard work and takes time. You need a dull day. Direct sun light heats up the paint and you have no chance. Never pick up a cloth once dropped on the floor. Never re use clay that has sharp contaminants once dropped etc. or more scratches will be introduced.

Its best to do one panel at a time the first time you do the car. et your eye in, familiarise with the process. I found it needs more than a day to finish first time you do it. There after its much easier, obviously.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #3 on: 01 March 2014, 23:37:57 »

scratch and swirl removal are 2 different problems and require different kind of paste & polish heads and techniques..

cant predict your cars age and laquer condition..  but removing scratches is a a bit risky if its too deep.. 

measure is : if it catches your finger nail when you pass over it,  you cant remove it ..  you may easily remove the whole laquer while buffing it.. instead for those deep scratches I recommend sanding with 1200 slightly and spraying 2 tiny layers of laquer alone.. and then leveling the surface .. but it requires some equipment and experience :-\

light scratches can be removed easily by farecla G3 and a rotary polisher.. or if by hand will take longer time but safe to do .. ( you can also use 2000 wet sanding but you must be very careful)
key is being patient and checking the surface very frequently not to damage laquer completely..

if your car have dark color, swirls can be a headache to remove completely as it will cover most of the car.. 
they can be removed by using a very fine paste and by using orbit sanders/da sanders and a very soft pad..  rotary polishers can also be used but they are not that effective as sanders..   of course can be done by hand but you will be exhausted.. also be very careful when polishing sharp corners , always use the lowest rpm/orbit setting.. or you can easily face bare metal..

and as Gixer said, paint must be definitely clean, cold  and no sun or wind..

ps: you must wet the heads by using some amount of water
pps: there are 6000 grid sand papers used for swirl removing but you need orbital sanders..
« Last Edit: 01 March 2014, 23:44:32 by cem »

vauxlooney

• southport
    • omega 2.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2014, 10:44:54 »

Some good advice guys. Thanks. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me. I have just bought a rotary polisher online so can't wait to get started now.

vauxlooney

• southport
    • omega 2.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 March 2014, 23:51:14 »

6000 w&d sounds dam fine.! Most of the starches arnt too deep luckily so will see how far I get without wet sanding .

I've not used a clay bar before . What are they like?

chrisgixer

« Reply #6 on: 03 March 2014, 00:20:55 »

6000 w&d sounds dam fine.! Most of the starches arnt too deep luckily so will see how far I get without wet sanding .

Easy, but vital to be OCD about contaminants. (Sharp bits that scratch) if you drop it, bin it.

Miggylover

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 March 2014, 00:24:30 »

Its literally a piece of clay you rub over the paint work (with water or detail spray as lube). It lifts bits of tar etc off the paint.

As mentioned above, if you drop it, bin it!

vauxlooney

• southport
    • omega 2.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 March 2014, 00:29:49 »

Just been looking online. Any particular clay bar you would recommend for a beginner ?

Miggylover

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 March 2014, 00:32:41 »

Ive found Bilt Hamber medium clay works fine for me. And you only need water as lube which is a bonus.

chrisgixer

« Reply #10 on: 03 March 2014, 00:41:41 »

Have a look at some of the Mcguires videos on you tube.

Clay bar is very easy, detailer/soapy water or whatever it is, sprayed on with a squirty bottle.
Rub the clay over the wetted paint area. You'll feel the clay grab on sharp/rough areas like tar and muck that won't wash off. Continue until smooth to touch and the clay no longer grabs when wet.

It's purely a prep for polishing. The clay removes sharp particles that stick to the paint, and would otherwise brake free under the polishing pad and cause further scratches.

Its a very simple, easy basic thing to do, you'll see. Halfords stock all you need. Most detailing products are covered by Mcguires and a auto glym.

There's others if you really want to get OCD about it.

What polisher do you have? If its a buffer pad , IMO, they are quite difficult to cause damage with. If its a machine polisher, bit like an angle grinder motor with a pad on, go steady with those, they can burn the paint if too aggressive, although in the right hands can give much better results.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.