Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: airbag warning light  (Read 1105 times)

grahamp

• hertfordshire
    • omega 2.2 cd 4dr auto
    • View Profile
airbag warning light
« on: 04 March 2014, 20:13:10 »

I have had my airbag warning light on since the day I got the car I have recently had someone turn off my engine management light but they said there is no fault showing for the airbag I have checked all the yellow plugs down the side of the seats and removed the front of the steering wheel thinking someone may have forgot to plug them back in all seem to be k how do you knock out the light

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: airbag warning light
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2014, 20:15:49 »

You locate the problem, fix it, then reset it.

If the light is on, a code exists in the SRS ECU.
Grumpy old man

grahamp

• hertfordshire
    • omega 2.2 cd 4dr auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2014, 20:25:45 »

do you need to have the tech 2 on it or was he just not using his laptop right thanks for your help

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2014, 20:50:06 »

do you need to have the tech 2 on it or was he just not using his laptop right thanks for your help
Some cheap laptop based code readers do struggle...
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #4 on: 05 March 2014, 09:44:55 »

Airbag light will illuminate for one of many reasons, but important to understand teh sifference between fault data and crash data - the most common causes of airbag light are:

1) There is a fault in the system, broken wire, faulty unit, which must be repaired prior to resetting the airbag module fault data using a Tech2.

2) Airbag deployment, following a crash or similar - in which case the airbag module will now store crash data instead of fault data, and at present, I do not know anyone who has been able to reset this (I`ve been researching this module for a while) and a new module is required, which may also require a bit of Tech2 fettling to get it to work with your car.

3) Pothole damage - we are seeing more airbag modules record minor crash data as a result of knackered road surfaces and potholes - whilst not enough to deploy an airbag in most cases, once crash data has been recorded, it cannot be reset and a new module  is required.

A real Bugger as this is now part of the MOT test   :'(
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2014, 09:45:49 »

Airbag light will illuminate for one of many reasons, but important to understand the difference between fault data and crash data - the most common causes of airbag light are:

1) There is a fault in the system, broken wire, faulty unit, which must be repaired prior to resetting the airbag module fault data using a Tech2. (Cheap code readers will seldom reset SRS sytems)

2) Airbag deployment, following a crash or similar - in which case the airbag module will now store crash data instead of fault data, and at present, I do not know anyone who has been able to reset this (I`ve been researching this module for a while) and a new module is required, which may also require a bit of Tech2 fettling to get it to work with your car.

3) Pothole damage - we are seeing more airbag modules record minor crash data as a result of knackered road surfaces and potholes - whilst not enough to deploy an airbag in most cases, once crash data has been recorded, it cannot be reset and a new module  is required.

A real Bugger as this is now part of the MOT test   :'(
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 March 2014, 18:56:44 »

I had one that was a fault with the airbag ECU, needed to be replaced and the light went out without any tech 2 work. I think siting it directly under a cup holder was not the best bit of design on the facelift. Come to think of it I think I still have the good ECU in the shed somewhere.
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.