Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: PRE FACELIFT V FACELIFT  (Read 3837 times)

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
PRE FACELIFT V FACELIFT
« on: 25 April 2014, 22:29:51 »

Good even all,

i have been fortunate to drive both varients of car and both had about the same mileage on them, around, about 70,000 miles,and both v6's and the face lift car was so much nicer to drive than the earlier car.
Now i know that the cars share the same chasiss and subframe assy and the shocks and springs are the same with the exception of MV6 models, my question is what makes the facelift so different to drive, the steering to all intence and pouposes is the same.
where changes made to the body shell in terms of stiffness or is it down to upgraded suspension bushes front and rear.?
Gary.
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

chrisgixer

Re: PRE FACELIFT V FACELIFT
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2014, 22:59:37 »

Nope. How many years between them...? And what trim level are we talking about? Elite and mv6 are very different. With the standard spec models, of cd cdx etc, in between.

A certain admin will probably say his 03 face lift handles much worse than his 99 pre face lift mv6. Totally unfair f course as the "lazy bloody admin" hasn't spent the time sorting the niggles out of the newer car, which is an Elite. Probably the least suitable model in the omega range given his driving style.

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2014, 23:04:42 »

The pre f/l was gls spec and the f/l was cdx spec so not a great deal of difference just trim levels.
the cars where about 5 years apart in terms of age.
There is a difference, the only thing i can say from personal experiance is the f/l car felt so much more planted than the earlier car with less body roll.
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2014, 23:05:52 »

I can't believe TB isn't all over this!
He must be busy  :D

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2014, 23:10:42 »

I must add that both cars where riding on 225/55/16 tyres and before you aski dont know what the tyres were. ;D
Jaguar XJ6

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2014, 08:31:28 »

Having now own my F/L Elite for around 6 months now and covered 10k I can say its growing on me.The old 98 MFL Elite handled well and did all I could of asked for ,but do agree the ride was slightly more floaty,despite all bushes/suspension etc being attended to .The new FL has had rear bushes replaced along with front anti roll bars just as a matter of course but the ride does seem tighter and "just more modern" :y

Still trying to come to terms with the newere dash layout as found the older model just nicer and less plasticy and as for the horrible rubber door trims etc ,well they are just nasty compared to the much nicer leather door cards and wood effect trim.

Honest opinion is both models have their plus points as well as negatives,but for comfort I think the F/L wins but for cabin stylethe MFL is the better

Figureman52

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottingham
    • 2.6 CD Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2014, 08:41:30 »

Often wondered about the ride, cant tell musch difference myself but SWMBO always complains about travel sickness in the F/L CD Saloon, but never did in the PFL GLS estate. Maybe it was the extra interior space. :-\

I've still got the saloon after 10 years regardless of the complaining. I just have to turn the stereo up. ;D ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2014, 09:01:44 »

The pre f/l was gls spec and the f/l was cdx spec so not a great deal of difference just trim levels.
the cars where about 5 years apart in terms of age.
There is a difference, the only thing i can say from personal experiance is the f/l car felt so much more planted than the earlier car with less body roll.
Any history on the suspension? Is it standard, as it should be?

If so, probably looking at tired suspension and probably bushes.

powerslinky

« Reply #8 on: 26 April 2014, 09:18:37 »

I have had 4 omegas  . . .  2 x MFL elites  3.0  & 2.5     1 x FL  elite 3.0   & the present 2.6 FL MV6

My opinion would be that my first one ,  the 3.0 MFL, was the best all round car , but that may be of course because I was

bitten by the omega bug with that car .  The second omega was a FL 3.0 elite, my opinion of that one was it felt a lot more

of a firmer ride with a lot less "roll"  & much better handling all round . But there was a rumour that the very  first FL elites (

some 50 in number) were produced with LSC as per MV6 but with Air shocks :-\ I recall that there was plenty of discussion

on here back then about this , as this car had a ride height of 660mm. Also on the V5 the car was called MV6 Elite

My 3rd was a nice MFL 2.5 elite which  leaked a bit, but only  went because of the deal I got the latest Black 2.6  FL MV6. 

IMO  I think that possibly the difference in wheel size & tyre profile   16"  to 17"  may cause part of this slightly "harsher"

ride . Be interesting to test a FL elite or MV6 on 16" wheels  :-\

I like the present MV6 & have now got used to the firmness which goes with the better handling .

The real downer for me on the FL models is the "soft rubber "  & plastic looking finish to the interior . . . disaster  :( :(

If i was ever  was offered a real nice MFL 3.0 elite  . .  . I think I would have to have it  ::) ::) 

I can just here  SWMBO  saying  . . . . "OH  NO . . . not another one ! " ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 26 April 2014, 09:22:53 by Essex Big Al »

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2014, 10:20:07 »

Got to agree with you Al.

I cover huge miles and found the older MFL Elite fitted with 17,s was a nice ride but would be decribed as quite harsh although did handle well.Interior was just nice and a very pleasant place to spend a fair bit of your working day. :y

The new F/Elite whilst it is a 3.2 so has more grunt is just a smoother more refined drive with less roll and much more predicatable handling and braking.The downside is the interior  :(,which whilst it is in very very good condition with only light wear to the drivers door trim ,just all seems a bit sticky plastic and not commanding the original price tag for a "flag ship model".If I could transfer the door cards from a MFL to the FL sure that would tidy things up but switches for mirrors and windows are compatable so unless I can bring myself to pull all the door cards apart and give them some treatment I will just have to live with it ,although sure in time like most things they become the norm.

Other than that I don,t regret owning the newer model and if she covers another 230k like old Elite will consider the money well spent. ;) :) 

powerslinky

« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2014, 11:08:49 »

Got to agree with you Al.

I cover huge miles and found the older MFL Elite fitted with 17,s was a nice ride but would be decribed as quite harsh although did handle well.Interior was just nice and a very pleasant place to spend a fair bit of your working day. :y

The new F/Elite whilst it is a 3.2 so has more grunt is just a smoother more refined drive with less roll and much more predicatable handling and braking.The downside is the interior  :(,which whilst it is in very very good condition with only light wear to the drivers door trim ,just all seems a bit sticky plastic and not commanding the original price tag for a "flag ship model".If I could transfer the door cards from a MFL to the FL sure that would tidy things up but switches for mirrors and windows are compatable so unless I can bring myself to pull all the door cards apart and give them some treatment I will just have to live with it ,although sure in time like most things they become the norm.

Other than that I don,t regret owning the newer model and if she covers another 230k like old Elite will consider the money well spent. ;) :)

Ah right ,  . . . so you fitted your old 2.5 elite  MFL with 17's & 45 profile tyres ?   From your post, it seems to confirm the lower profile makes for a slightly harsher ride then compared to the standard 16" wheels with the higher profile tyres ?
Interesting point that . . .  . i wonder if Chris Gixers 3.2 Elite on 18" rims & 40 profile tyres feels even more harsh ? :-\ :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2014, 11:37:11 »

I can't believe TB isn't all over this!
He must be busy  :D
I am. Very  :'(

But everyone knows the PFL is superior in every way, except corrosion. I base my experiences on the 3 PFL I've owned and the 2 FL I've owned. FL let down by some silly design issues inside, and too much penny pinching.

As to ride quality, they should be similar, assuming same spec suspension, wheels etc.  FL larger door mirrors supposed to reduce wind noise, but I think increase it, and offer no additional visibility, yet make them more prone to clipping.

Looks are a personal thing. The rear end of a FL has grown on me over the years, but it needs the lip spoiler IMHO. The front end is every bit as pig ugly as an Astra-G
Grumpy old man

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 April 2014, 12:45:17 »

Yes Al...both were running identical tyre size/ widths..235/45/17 on Irmscher Ronal  rims on the MFL 2.5 Elite,all 4 being perfectly round ;D and Standard F/L 6 spoke on the 3.2.

Both have/had working self levelling suspension with correct springs.Did replace wishbones/TRE on the 2.5 but as bought on the 3.2 as all seem fine,although do have new Lemforders as complete set when the time comes to replace them as found a great deal with somebody selling the entire job lot for give away money sometime ago ;)

Agree regarding the more US styling on the bodywork on the F/L but did like the extra bits of chrome/plastic coloured trim on the MFL.

Difficult to pick a better/worse car as liked/like them both so I am on the fence with the final judgement,but must say the 3.2 makes me grin slightly more when the loud pedal is firmly pushed down ;D 

05omegav6

« Reply #13 on: 26 April 2014, 13:16:01 »

Not sure that wheel size alone actually affects the ride that much tbh :-\

The wheel base is unchanged and ultimately that is a significant factor in the cars waftability. Drive a Bm 1 series and a 5 or 7 back to back and you'll see what I mean...

Although they're a broadly similar shape (no surprise there seeing as the shells are identical ::)), the P/Mfl is starting to look a bit dated compared to some cars of a similar vintage, whereas the FL still looks pretty good IMHO :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 April 2014, 15:21:05 »

See what you mean about the MFL staring to look slightly dated what with the chrome/plastic trims ,although still a nice car if in good condition.

FL so similar to most modern cars now with stock uniform colour on all parts,its just the interior that lets it down imho despite me being swayed to part with cash for another
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 17 queries.