Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Plastering Costs  (Read 2418 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Plastering Costs
« on: 05 May 2014, 14:33:16 »

I'm considering getting the walls inside my conservatory plastered, it was added by the previous owner. It's nice, but the exposed brick for me does not make it feel part of the house. I'd like it smooth plastered like the rest.

I'm thinking plaster is better than insulated/boarded?  :-\

Thing is I've no idea for plastering if I'm looking at £2k or £500  :-\  :-[ :-[

Maybe one for AndyRoid to recommend a builder?  :y

Very rough dimensions here:

A being biggest wall against the garage, B the small wall built to accommodate the conservatory and finally C, being the house back wall. 

Any thoughts, recommendations/costs welcome  :y :y

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Plastering Costs
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2014, 14:50:27 »

We had our bathroom done, all 4 walls and ceiling including dry lining the 2 outside walls due to their condition. Just under £500 all in.

However we have now moved onto the kitchen and I would like base and then skim, no plasterboard which seems to push the price up astronomically!

Steve
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2014, 15:01:48 »

Guessing longer time of job, when it needs a base too?

Stemo

« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2014, 18:38:36 »

Exposed brickwork cannot just be plastered. It's either render and skim or board and skim.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2014, 18:39:53 »

Plasterer i use,charges, £140 a day.
Hoof'land storeman.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2014, 18:42:55 »

Exposed brickwork cannot just be plastered. It's either render and skim or board and skim.

Any recommendations for conservatory use? Given it already has power sockets, leccy heaters and lights in there. Guess they would need to be removed anyway.

Stemo

« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2014, 18:49:25 »

Any recommendations for conservatory use? Given it already has power sockets, leccy heaters and lights in there. Guess they would need to be removed anyway.
Yes, you can't just work around them. If you get hold of a plasterer he may want an electrician to do all that...more money.
These jobs are not five minute ones. If it needs to be done it needs to be done properly or you'll have problems later, not least when the time comes to move on.

Are you sure you can't live with that brickwork?  ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2014, 18:56:20 »

Looking at the expanding list of jobs/costs I think I might, need painting of course afterwards too.  ;D

Just prefer if it matched the rest of the house. I was thinking of putting a sofa against one wall, maybe putting a picture up would be cheaper  ;D ;D

It does not look so bad currently...

Stemo

« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2014, 19:06:09 »

You could always paint the brickwork but, if you didn't like the result..well....it would be hard luck.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2014, 19:09:11 »

You could always paint the brickwork but, if you didn't like the result..well....it would be hard luck.

Thing is the whole of the downstairs is smooth white plasterboard, be good if matched. Plus if boarded, some winter insulation would be nice in there.

Stemo

« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2014, 19:22:51 »

Thing is the whole of the downstairs is smooth white plasterboard, be good if matched. Plus if boarded, some winter insulation would be nice in there.
Well....get a man round and talk through all the options. Patience is the name of the game. Get it right first time, then you'll be happy with it.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 May 2014, 19:27:19 »

Well....get a man round and talk through all the options. Patience is the name of the game. Get it right first time, then you'll be happy with it.

Yup, spot on.  :y

Andyroid has recommended some great tradesmen in the past, bloke who re-did tiles and plastering in bathroom at my flat did top work for great price.

Was looking for ball park price, as there are a number of jobs on the 'to-do' list. Had no idea if I was looking at £2k or £750 notes  :)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 May 2014, 19:44:21 »

Why not look at the plasterboard option, easier to sort out the electrics and you can add extra insulation to help reduce the heat loss :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 May 2014, 19:45:46 »

Why not look at the plasterboard option, easier to sort out the electrics and you can add extra insulation to help reduce the heat loss :y

That was one idea, make it warmer in the winter. Think I need to get a few people around to cost it up.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 May 2014, 20:35:59 »

Dob and dab board plus skim for that,  about 300-400 I would say.  Insulation will make bog all difference seeing as it's a house wall and conservatories are about as well insulated as a coal shed.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.