Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil treatment: seal conditioner  (Read 7128 times)

Grrrrrr

• Intermediate Member
  • Buckinghamshire
    • Jaguar. WTF have I done?
    • View Profile
Oil treatment: seal conditioner
« on: 15 May 2014, 09:03:54 »

Anyone had any experience of using Forte seal conditioner? Good or bad. Did it make any difference?

Apparently you add it to the oil and it softens and slightly swells hardened seal so they are tight again. Presumably we're looking at valve-stem seals here. I assume you put it in for a few days before your oil change is due and then do an oil change as usual. Thinking of my puff of smoke on startup (2.6 CDX from 01 - the trouble year!).

So, anyone had any experiences of using it?

Cheers,

J
Work is the curse of the drinking classes (Oscar Wilde)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: Oil treatment: seal conditioner
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2014, 10:58:50 »

I have an oil leak in my autobox, such that I have to have my garage top it up monthly (I can't get under the car to do it myself and they charge me £20 a time, with me supplying the ATF!) and I've used Wynn's Oil Seal Renovator firstly and then Lucas Seal Reconditioner - posh and expensive - and neither made a scrap of difference.
On wet roads, you can see a trail of where I've been!

Ron.

chrisgixer

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2014, 14:36:01 »

I have an oil leak in my autobox, such that I have to have my garage top it up monthly (I can't get under the car to do it myself and they charge me £20 a time, with me supplying the ATF!) and I've used Wynn's Oil Seal Renovator firstly and then Lucas Seal Reconditioner - posh and expensive - and neither made a scrap of difference.

Ron.

....by the trail of fallen motorcyclists? By the oil trail? Or both? ::)

Obviously at £20 a go there's a good chance the leak could of been fixed by now? Especially if it's just a sump that's leaking?

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2014, 15:57:54 »

How mean of you, Mr. Gixer: now, if you had written "trail of blood from demolished cyclists"......
More seriously, I take your point about fixing the leak, but the problem is I can't determine where it is. On the garage's ramp, it seems to be coming from what looks like a blanking plate near the bell-housing, above the oil level (hence why it only leaks when the engine is running?), but there isn't anything to undo, just a cap in the casting?
I can't really top it up on my drive, as it slopes too much to get the level right, and I'm too fat to get under the car anyway, even if I had ramps!
I'm getting close to parting with the car, as this regular expense is getting too much.....

Ron.

Grrrrrr

• Intermediate Member
  • Buckinghamshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2014, 16:07:27 »

Ron.

Heard Wynns isn't up to much although never tried it myself. I had higher hopes for the Forte.

Would it work in the gearbox? Temperature wouldn't be as high, would it?

With regards to the gearbox leak, does it have a breather pipe anywhere that might have perished or come off?

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2014, 17:49:34 »

How mean of you, Mr. Gixer: now, if you had written "trail of blood from demolished cyclists"......
Ron.

Now now  >:(  -  some of us are BOTH cyclists and Omega owners  :D. I do more miles on my bike than in the car  :o

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2014, 18:23:53 »

DrAndy, if you don't ride on pavements, jump lights and feel that traffic laws do not apply to you, I will refrain from leaving YOUR blood on the higheway!

Ron.

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2014, 19:04:21 »

Sounds fair  :):y

I stick to all rules and annoys me too when see others flouting the laws  >:(

Rest assured however that Lycra guy doesn't normally don't get too far ahead of me as I do 40 miles a day on a heavy mountain bike so I catch them up again and smile as they suddenly realise they have been caught up and can't loose me who is now firmly fixed on their back wheel   ;D

Smug  :y

Hope you get your autobox leak sorted  :y

Andy.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2014, 19:09:24 »

Andy, well done for being one up on the "I'm a cyclist" lycra louts! You now have immunity from extermination; and thanks for your wishes re the leak.

Ron.

Grrrrrr

• Intermediate Member
  • Buckinghamshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2014, 20:21:11 »

When I used to cycle to work I used to deliberately look as nonchalant as possible in my dress shoes and tie as I overtook the lycra lads. Of course, as soon as I was out of sight I was able to get some big lungfuls in!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2014, 20:30:10 »

I would be no more likely to add an additive to my autobox fluid than go cycling in lycra. ;)

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Blaster Bates

• Middle Earth
    • Dennis Fire Engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2014, 08:14:10 »

Gearbox input seal is damaged.

Often caused as a result of box removal and then re-fit of the box without fitting the torque converter to it first.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2014, 09:19:43 »

BB, if your comment was for my benefit, I thank you, but as I have had the car for the last  5 years/50k miles and the leak has only started in the last 1,00 miles and the gearbox has never been out in all my ownership, maybe never at all, could it still be the cause?

Ron.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2014, 10:48:32 »

When you talk about a blanking plate above the oil level do you mean something ont eh side of the gearbox? Makes me wonder if it's a core plug in the gearbox that's leaking. Otherwise, most likely to be the input shaft seal, as said. That's an easy fix, once the gearbox has been removed.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2014, 11:55:49 »

Kevin, that is the mystery! My garage didn't know what the "plate" was and were frightened to investigate, saying that there were all sorts of springs and things in there that would fly out if they took it off. It sounded like a bullshit excuse to me for not wanting to get involved, but what do I know?
I did suggest that, as the "plate" is above the oil level, I might apply some resin or other external sealant to it, but they rejected the idea, saying that the leaking oil would dissolve away anything I put on it: maybe they just want to keep my monthly £20 cash donation to their Xmas fund?
It is definitely not an easy fix for me as I don't have the facilities or skills to remove the gearbo9x and am fearful of what my garage would charge me for doing the job, and as they seem none too familiar with autoboxes anyway, would I trust them?
Thanks for your helpful comments, though; much appreciated.

Ron.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.