Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: K N filter?  (Read 5177 times)

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
Re: K N filter?
« Reply #45 on: 04 June 2014, 00:05:37 »

Just saw this.. Thought of this thread.

They do sound rather nice.. Can't find any panel k&n filter videos.

http://youtu.be/s4JNg6sUqRU

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 04 June 2014, 00:45:17 »

Just saw this.. Thought of this thread.

They do sound rather nice.. Can't find any panel k&n filter videos.

http://youtu.be/s4JNg6sUqRU
[/highlight]

:o :o That engine rattles more than my 2.2 Honda diesel.............. ::) ::)

chrisgixer

« Reply #47 on: 04 June 2014, 08:33:50 »

Open out the consatena paper element of the oe filter, and you'll see the filter area is vastly increased over a KN panel.

But ignore the filter for a minute, and ask where the restriction on the omega air flow is.

It's the exhaust manifold. The rest of the inlet and exhaust is massively over engineered for air fliw. Look at the single and double exit exhaust back boxes on the v engines. No affect on performance between the two at all, with similar sized double entry throttle body.

The filter will make big all difference to air flow and hence power, with the added oil v maf issues.

Further, do a search on oof on the subject. You'll see this a long standing misconception on the omega that long standing members are sick of opposing.
 Along with miss diagnosed failed head gaskets, tracking fixing camber issues, front wheel bearings being separate to the hub, auto boxes being sealed for life etc etc. these and theories on panel filters improving performance on the omega are wrong.

4 pages on the oldest subject in oof history. ::)

chrisgixer

« Reply #48 on: 04 June 2014, 09:00:48 »

Do I need to save up for some nice stainless tubular manifolds then :-\

Like theses...

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Opel-Omega-B-2-5-3-0L-V6-Rennsport-Edelstahl-Manifolds-Limosine-Kombi-Neu-/231226496762?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item35d62c56fa 8)

They look rather nice, will they fit the RHD cars?

The main issue with the manifolds is that all cylinders (all be it to a much lesser extent on No's 1 and 2) have a 'stub' which creates interesting effects in the gas flow at certain RPM.

That and the 2.5/3.0 ones being quite restrictive (as we know the 2.6/3.2 ones are better and a good little mod but not the ultimate solution).
Don't see why they won't fit, given the steering idler and pitman arm are an exact mirror and there's no steering column in the way :-\ Any mention of different manifolds/down pipes on LHD cars in TIS?

An old post talked about tubular manifolds having of some sort with steering lock. As Mark mentioned. Seem to remember something about the design being based on a manual box, which is good for the more Edwardian drivers and long throw signal box handles, but not so good the refined and relatively precise but much wider auto.

In short, buggered if I can remember but there was an issue with steering lock. Thread will Be on the old site I expect.

chrisgixer

« Reply #49 on: 04 June 2014, 09:10:46 »

It is a pointer though, to the can if worms that modifying can potentially open up. Purely based on the starting point of a replacement filter in the pursuit of better performance.

If panel filters where an improvement I'd have one fitted tomorrow. Same as the other mods I've fine to mine re handling ind infotainment. We all strive to improve by finding weaknesses and fixing them. Fact is panel filters give no extra power and introduce a question on reliability if the maf. Hence I have an oe filter on my car.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #50 on: 04 June 2014, 18:51:07 »

honestly I would invest my money for bigger volume , seperate inlet manifold(s) if there were some distance .. never bothered to measure tough ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #51 on: 04 June 2014, 18:56:42 »

without doubt and any hesitation I can say omega plenum is small for that engine volume at high rpms..

05omegav6

« Reply #52 on: 05 June 2014, 00:58:18 »

without doubt and any hesitation I can say omega plenum is small for that engine volume at high rpms..
Hence the multi rams ::)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #53 on: 05 June 2014, 09:45:03 »

yep..  at low and midrange they will do the job.. but I very much doubt at high rpm range they are sufficient.. I bet there are minimum 20 or more hp to be gained..  but as its a v6 a custom new manifold test will cost some considerable money..  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 05 June 2014, 20:36:03 »

yep..  at low and midrange they will do the job.. but I very much doubt at high rpm range they are sufficient.. I bet there are minimum 20 or more hp to be gained..  but as its a v6 a custom new manifold test will cost some considerable money..  :-\
Those sort of gains are not available without forced induction without a serious amount of other work. More gains to be had on the exhaust side, but that's not as trendy
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 05 June 2014, 21:48:51 »

Indeed, and in a big heavy car like the Omega, the priority would be building torque low in the rev range rather than getting the last femtoBHP out of it at sky high revs. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #56 on: 06 June 2014, 09:48:45 »

Those sort of gains are not available without forced induction without a serious amount of other work. More gains to be had on the exhaust side, but that's not as trendy

on 1.6 litre 4 pot I got 17 hp and 12 nm (measured at the same dyno) with a proper manifold.. Omega can get more ..

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #57 on: 06 June 2014, 12:37:58 »

on 1.6 litre 4 pot I got 17 hp and 12 nm (measured at the same dyno) with a proper manifold.. Omega can get more ..

now I put my nose under the hood, very little space (few cms gain in height, but more space in width) .. >:( and all those cabling, sockets, egr, coolant tank, fuel lines , sockets, air filter, maf must be relocated/rerouted..  and if I decide to get in this trouble , I must change exhaust manifolds, injectors .. and a custom ecu.. hence installing turbo is easier ;D   will see later .. first I must finish the clit project

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.