Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do with my Omega?  (Read 2792 times)

Clouseau

• Telford
  • Keeping the dream alive...
    • View Profile
What to do with my Omega?
« on: 16 August 2014, 17:07:28 »

So having been an Omega owner for the past 8 years and having driven them professionally when they first came out, it is now time to say goodbye. I am in the happy position that for the first time in my life I am in the position to have a brand new car, and with my son working for JLR and bringing in a hefty 20% discount the Omega Estate is going to be replaced by an XF Sportbrake.  :D

But I was devastated when the dealership only offered £200 px for the Omega (less than the £205 webuyanycar were offering). I could get £250 by weighing it in!  The car is due an MOT in a couple of weeks and will probably need tyres, exhaust and possibly new discs on the front - I can do all this but it will cost much more than the car is worth and then I will have the faff of advertising and selling it privately. 

So what should I do?  Scrap it, MOT & sell privately, wait for one of the breakers on here to make me a reasonable offer? It's still in lovely condition, has 96000 miles and drives perfectly...  :(

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with my Omega?
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2014, 17:23:03 »

Might help if you post up a few more details, engine ect and work done.

I'd pop it on Autotrader, eBay is full of scammers. Or get posting and put an advert here, I see you have been a member for a long time, so if you ask very, very nicely they may put an advert in sales.

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2014, 17:28:27 »

Cheers Tunnie

It's a 2.2 CDX petrol and standard throughout, including fully working CDR6000 with CD magazine. Recent tyres on the front and wishbones 6 months ago. Slight oil leak from the crankshaft seal (I've got a £20 GM one but haven't got around to fitting it yet). Standard alloys and I added the tailgate spoiler when I first got it. Interior is particularly clean. No rust but lacquer on bumpers is dull in places.

If the MOT work isn't too onerous I think I'm most likely going to sell it privately, but we'll see.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2014, 18:50:23 »

200 quid! thats peanuts, scandelous. Looks a nice motor, MOT it and try to sell it.

omega3000

« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2014, 21:17:52 »

I dont think that would take long to sell even without mot , its probably worth £350 and with mot £550 maybe  :-\ But would make a really nice car for someone  :y Dont let them scroungers at wbac have though  >:(

chrisgixer

« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2014, 08:15:26 »

How much is a sport brake? 60k? Ok its discounted, but money is clearly no issue, so why worry about a few hundred quid for the omega?

....ah is this the omega factor again...? Sentimental value, X factor (spit) call it what you will. They stick with us these bloody omegas. Any other car would be chopped in for the sport brake sharpish.

Looks a tidy car. Keep it, IMO. For those large items that won't fit in the sport brake ;) ;D

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2014, 08:48:06 »

How much is a sport brake? 60k? Ok its discounted, but money is clearly no issue, so why worry about a few hundred quid for the omega?

....ah is this the omega factor again...? Sentimental value, X factor (spit) call it what you will. They stick with us these bloody omegas. Any other car would be chopped in for the sport brake sharpish.

Looks a tidy car. Keep it, IMO. For those large items that won't fit in the sport brake ;) ;D

Well not quite!  :o ... about half that actually ... but yes, you  make a valid point about the whole 'letting go', 'end of an era' thing.  And keeping it wouldn't be a bad idea if I had the space ... don't really imagine loading up the sportbrake with a bootful of crap/bricks/branches etc to take to the dump!  ;)

aaronjb

« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2014, 10:04:48 »

No dealer wants an 11 year old (or 13 year old in my case) undesirable heap cluttering up the truck they send everything to the crusher on .. £200 is what I was offered for my 51 plate 3.2 Elite Estate recently, and that's basically the reason they gave - it wouldn't even be going to auction, it'd be going straight to a scrap yard, so it's worth nothing to them.

I'd say get shot of it on here for a few hundred, but you don't have 250 posts.. so eBay/Autotrader/etc for £500 or so should see it gone and pay next years tax on the Sportbrake..

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2014, 10:16:06 »

Is it an automatic or manual and if you did fix it up and put m.o.t.on it whats it worth  :y

Stallion

• Omega Knight
  • Romford
  • "If you can't CONVINCE them, CONFUSE them"!!
    • 3.2 Irmscher Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2014, 11:45:41 »

You guys should feel chuffed if you've been offered £200!
Webuyanycrap offered me £50 and that too was provisional. (Final price only will be offered after one of there staff inspects it on site)!
Sod it  :D ;D ;D

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 August 2014, 12:06:29 »

Is it an automatic or manual and if you did fix it up and put m.o.t.on it whats it worth  :y

It's an auto. If I decide to get another year's MOT for it I'd be looking for £500.  Oh and the tax on the sportbrake (2.2 diesel) is only £125 for the whole year due to the low emissions and it will do about 50-60 mpg compared to the Omega's 25-30  :y

Oh and I've got to tax the bloomin Omega at the end of the month, one week before the MOT expires!
« Last Edit: 17 August 2014, 12:08:48 by Clouseau »

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 August 2014, 16:42:22 »

Looks a nice motor...as said a few more pics of inside/outside would be good...If m.o.t.....I think it is well worth that kind of cash  :y

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 August 2014, 18:10:30 »

Looks a nice motor...as said a few more pics of inside/outside would be good...If m.o.t.....I think it is well worth that kind of cash  :y
There is plenty on this forum if you go looking.  :y

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 August 2014, 18:19:58 »

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 August 2014, 19:32:33 »

(There is plenty on this forum if you go looking. ) ...........I appreciate there are some on here but unfortunately they are not 2.2cdx estates and to far away that i want to go there....but thanks for the info matey,, :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.