Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Got my Winter Tyres...............  (Read 7611 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Got my Winter Tyres...............
« Reply #30 on: 10 October 2014, 21:09:02 »

Which bridgestones, and how old are they? 010 potenza are not great in the grip dept. either, and very noisy.

Can't remember exactly what they are, but 09.  I remember that as I thought they'd be older.  :y

Thinking about it, they are quite noisy at low speeds (20ish) but are fine at cruising speeds.  :)
« Last Edit: 10 October 2014, 21:10:45 by Sir Tigger »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 11 October 2014, 09:27:33 »

Presumably you need two sets of wheels an two sets of tyres to make the change over relatively easy?

Nope, I was offered a good deal on a pair of winter tyres a while back so I thought I'd give them a try as it was winter at the time.  I just never bothered to change them when the spring came around.   :o  :D  ;D

It's only now that I've gone back to ordinary tyres that I'm appreciating the grip that the winters had and not just in the cold but the wet as well.  :y
What have you replaced them with?
Partworn Bridgestones with about 5mm and they havn't the grip of the Conti winters that had 2mm or less in places.  :-\  The Bridgestones are fine really, it's just that I'd got used to the extra grip and used it.  ::)  I'm adjusting my driving style and using the TC more!  ;)
The point being is that winters are really designed and use a compound that works around cold temperatures, as opposed to summer/normal tyres which are optimised for higher temps.

Given that daytime temps (around here) are around 16C and nightime around 10C, we're still well and truly in Summer territory.

It just shows that your currently chosen rubber is that poor. Some tyres do appear to fall off a cliff when nearly worn out (and 5mm is well over half worn, and 3/4 worn according to some manufacturers). Come the near freezing temps we may get in the coming months, the winters should start to come in to their working range.

Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 11 October 2014, 10:38:41 »

Which bridgestones, and how old are they? 010 potenza are not great in the grip dept. either, and very noisy.

Fitted to the Mazda RX8 as standard. God only knows why. :-\

Michelin Primacy were fitted as standard to the MV6.........Why?  :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11 October 2014, 10:39:44 »

Without getting into the well worn (excuse the pun!) argument about part worns, all I'm really saying is that my totally shagged winters with 1-2mm had more grip than the set I have at the moment and this was in all weathers thoughout the year.  ;)

Sure winter tyres are designed for cold weather, but that dosn't mean that they can't be used all year round and they were fine.  I didn't notice any difference in fuel consumption, increased road noise or any of the other supposed horrible things that mght happen if you dare to use winters in warm weather.  ::) Honestly!  ;D

The only time I used them in anger was in February and I was in Wales when there was a massive hail storm.  I was about to go up a steep hill which was a couple of cm deep in hail and all the other cars were sliding about all over the place and I thought 'Uh Oh'  :-\  but I gently drove straight up the hill and straight past all the stuck cars!  :y  The thing is, I was really surprised that my old Miggy went up that hill and it was only later that I remembered that I had winters on the back end and thought 'Ah Ha'  8)  :y

I used to be a winter tyre 'nay sayer' but now I've changed my opinion, so don't knock 'em until you've tried them!  ::) :y

05omegav6

« Reply #34 on: 11 October 2014, 12:38:48 »

The Continental Winters that were fitted to the Merc when I got it were leathal in the wet... booting away from a traffic light at 15°C in rain had the back end well into the lane next to me ::)

I'm sure that they will be lovely in snow should we get any ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 11 October 2014, 13:03:26 »

Without getting into the well worn (excuse the pun!) argument about part worns, all I'm really saying is that my totally shagged winters with 1-2mm had more grip than the set I have at the moment and this was in all weathers thoughout the year.  ;)
But you're not comparing like with like. In this weather, if the summer tyre is performing below that of a winter, then the summer tyre you purchased is shite unsuited to the car.

I've had winters on TBE in the past. I would not, based on recent UK winters, put them on again on cost grounds...  ...but my preferred summer tyres are almost as good in sub zero temps as the winters I had.
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11 October 2014, 18:56:04 »

But you're not comparing like with like. In this weather, if the summer tyre is performing below that of a winter, then the summer tyre you purchased is shite unsuited to the car.

I've had winters on TBE in the past. I would not, based on recent UK winters, put them on again on cost grounds...  ...but my preferred summer tyres are almost as good in sub zero temps as the winters I had.

Well no obviously not.  Winter and summer tyres are very different, which you can tell just by running your hand over them.  ;)

When I say that my current tyres have no grip, I'm not exactly skating all over the place, they're fine.  It's just that I've span a few times when exiting a junction in a hurry for example, which I wouldn't have with the winters on.  ::)  It's good to know the TC still works though!  :y

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 11 October 2014, 20:57:12 »

Got mine to attached to a range rover  :P :y

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 11 October 2014, 23:02:46 »

Had them fitted today by my local Indi, not done many miles, but a low speed handling issue I had has gone...... :y :y Not suggesting that this is because they are winter tyres, simply the fact that it has new tyres....... :y and I thought it was the car........... ::) ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 12 October 2014, 11:08:27 »

Well no obviously not.  Winter and summer tyres are very different, which you can tell just by running your hand over them.  ;)

When I say that my current tyres have no grip, I'm not exactly skating all over the place, they're fine.  It's just that I've span a few times when exiting a junction in a hurry for example, which I wouldn't have with the winters on.  ::)  It's good to know the TC still works though!  :y
I'll repeat, if in these warmer climbs we currently have, if your winters had better grip than your summers, then your summers are shite. Winters will start to overtake summers in sub zero temps, although each tyre is different.

Obviously, a winter tyre will feel different - look at all those snipes they have to allow them to heat up :)
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 12 October 2014, 16:43:16 »

I'll repeat, if in these warmer climbs we currently have, if your winters had better grip than your summers, then your summers are shite. Winters will start to overtake summers in sub zero temps, although each tyre is different.

Obviously, a winter tyre will feel different - look at all those snipes they have to allow them to heat up :)

I'm not talking about that, but the rubber itself.  If you've ever run your hands over a new winter tyre, the rubber feels very different and feels somewhat 'tacky' compared to a summer tyre.  Being pretty cynical about the claims tyre companies make about their products, I have my doubts that there is anything particularly technical about winter tyres and temperatures.  It's just a softer compound that is generally 'stickier' and so why not use them all year round?  ::)

I did and my car didn't spontaneously self combust or anything!  :D  If I was offered a good deal on winters I'd do it again!  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 12 October 2014, 17:14:27 »

Tig, I don't think its so much a softer compound, just one that doesn't harden as much when cold. That and the snipes for getting heat in. If it was simply a softer compound, on hot days I'd expect wear to be catastrophic.

I'm not against winter tyres - although I have enough trouble finding summers that work ;D - if I had a spare set of rims and a spare £300, I'd probably slap a set on in the winter if it was a good winter. Storing wheels and tyres is a PITA, due to size and sunlight issues. In reality, rarely in the UK do we get the weather to warrant the expenditure, storage and hassle. The other problem (aside from having 3 cars) is my insurance co insists I inform them if I put on winters, and when I take them off again, and each time request an admin fee  >:(
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 12 October 2014, 17:39:24 »

People say it's unnecessary to switch tyres in the winter here in Blighty and they're not wrong.  :y 

The tyre companies are trying to foster a similar culture here as to that in Germany or Scandinavia, where we feel we have to change tyres with the seasons and some people do, indeed some of our members here do.  Obviously the tyre companies motive is profit and with their 'Tyre Hotels' could make a killing, especially if they pursuade the EU to make it mandatory.  >:(

I'm just taking the contrary view where it's not necessary to take your winter tyres off in the spring!  ;)  :y  Some may disagree, but thats OK.  It makes for a good debate!   :)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 12 October 2014, 21:18:45 »

Tig, I don't think its so much a softer compound, just one that doesn't harden as much when cold. That and the snipes for getting heat in. If it was simply a softer compound, on hot days I'd expect wear to be catastrophic.

I'm not against winter tyres - although I have enough trouble finding summers that work ;D - if I had a spare set of rims and a spare £300, I'd probably slap a set on in the winter if it was a good winter. Storing wheels and tyres is a PITA, due to size and sunlight issues. In reality, rarely in the UK do we get the weather to warrant the expenditure, storage and hassle. The other problem (aside from having 3 cars) is my insurance co insists I inform them if I put on winters, and when I take them off again, and each time request an admin fee  >:(

Why would that matter if the size, speed and load rating are identical?........... :-\ :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 12 October 2014, 22:12:20 »

Why would that matter if the size, speed and load rating are identical?........... :-\ :-\
They specify it in the smallprint
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 22 queries.