Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: American Cousin  (Read 12733 times)

omega3000

Re: American Cousin
« Reply #15 on: 03 November 2014, 19:06:26 »

Ah , that would work out expensive to buy and ship over  :( Pity

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
  • VX Trade Card, Halfords Trade Card. Neat.
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #16 on: 03 November 2014, 20:16:21 »

I've got all the facelift gear to apply to my car. If all goes to plan, I'll be doing it as part of next month's Total Vauxhall magazine project update.
http://www.irmscherMV6.com | #irmscherMV6
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #17 on: 03 November 2014, 20:16:42 »

Cadillac Catera. Regarded as one of the greatest fails of any US car maker!  :o ;D

Couldn't let tha particular "Sleeping Dog" lay now could you? And the little emoticons are a bit much, don't you think?

Eh?
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

elvin315

• Intermediate Member
  • Catskill, New York, USA
  • Catera...Cadillac's unloved stepchild.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 November 2014, 21:23:10 »

Eh?

I am a Catera owner. Yes it wasn't successful here (I blame the marketing). Yes it has it faults (but probably no worse than your Omegas). I acknowledge that and don't need to be reminded. It's bad enough hearing the snide comments about my car over here. Our forum has its own Catera trolls, former owners included, but I expected better from you people. What bothers me most is the little snarky emoticons. I apologize if I'm taking a comical poke too seriously but this is the first time anyone here has done this and I'm disappointed. I'll get over it I guess. I've always tried to be respectful here. Too bad it isn't returned.
Is that all there is, is that all there is
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball, If that's all there is

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 November 2014, 21:30:27 »

Eh?

I am a Catera owner. Yes it wasn't successful here (I blame the marketing). Yes it has it faults (but probably no worse than your Omegas). I acknowledge that and don't need to be reminded. It's bad enough hearing the snide comments about my car over here. Our forum has its own Catera trolls, former owners included, but I expected better from you people. What bothers me most is the little snarky emoticons. I apologize if I'm taking a comical poke too seriously but this is the first time anyone here has done this and I'm disappointed. I'll get over it I guess. I've always tried to be respectful here. Too bad it isn't returned.

I think that's where Humbucker was aiming.

Nothing serious, so don't take it to heart.  It won't be the first decent car the 'Mericans have turned their nose up at!
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 November 2014, 21:32:12 »

And, the Omega wasn't successful here in the UK, or anywhere really!  ;D

You guys wanted bigger cars, we were forced into smaller cars.  :-\

elvin315

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 November 2014, 21:42:10 »

For Elvin... our '93-'98/9 cars have the facility to lock/unlock the boot lid with the key from the outside independently of the remote locking. It would seem yours do not :-\

Funny story....Stuck with a dead battery one winter night. Booster cables in the trunk. It has no keyhole, only the remote solenoid. I had to fold the rear seats down and reach through the pass-through to snag the cables with my snow-brush. After watching me go through all that a nice lady gave me a boost. Come to think of it....not so funny. Not to me anyway.

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #22 on: 03 November 2014, 21:55:34 »

Eh?

Like or not, the Catera is a fascinating example of GM's formerly-enthusiastic badge-engineering, and it serves as a particularly interesting chapter in the Omega story. It's failure to capture the imagination of the heaving masses in the US (particularly when considered alongside the extraordinary lengths that the manufacturer went to when marketing the model), is noteworthy to fans of the car irrespective of the badge it wears. To acknowledge it as such is not to make a "snide" comment, nor is it something that deserves the term 'troll' to be banded about. As for "I expected better from you people", and "what bothers me most is snarky emoticons"... seriously?! Sheesh. Perhaps you should consider the one-dimensional nature of online messaging, where tone of voice is lost, and consider (just for one moment) that an enthusiastic Omega/Catera/whatever owner probably isn't on an owners forum that he has been a member of for a number of years simply to rip into other members about the cars that they drive. Cars that are the same as his own.

If there was any "comical poke" implied, then it was at the manufacturer and its failed efforts to market the car successfully, as reading between the lines of the original post might suggest. If I had a remark to direct at you, I would certainly have made that clear. And as for, "I've always tried to be respectful here. Too bad it isn't returned." Come on, get a little perspective. I don't see anyone disrespecting you.
PM with your requests.

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #23 on: 03 November 2014, 22:06:25 »

Not to fan the flames, but your own profile proudly displays the words, "Catera...Cadillac's unloved stepchild." <insert ambiguous emoticon here /> That's a little at odds with "I don't need to be reminded. It's bad enough hearing the snide comments about my car over here." Who gives a shit what anyone else thinks? We love these cars, you love your car, that's all that matters. Don't be so sensitive about it.
PM with your requests.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 November 2014, 22:13:21 »

I spent a few months in TX over the years of 2004-2006.  The Catera was quite a common sight there.  :y

elvin315

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 November 2014, 22:14:02 »

And, the Omega wasn't successful here in the UK, or anywhere really!  ;D

You guys wanted bigger cars, we were forced into smaller cars.  :-\

Maybe I'm European at heart. I hate large cars. The American passion for SUVs and Pick-up Trucks is ridiculous and even more so the ones from BMW, MBz, Audi, and the Japanese. I bought my Catera knowing it was an Opel and because the BMWs I used to love had gone so far from the "Ultimate Driving Machines" they used were in the past. Bimmers here are commonplace, driven by posers instead of enthusiasts.

In the Catera Sport I saw a German sport sedan in the 5 Series mold that with a few suspension and brake upgrades I felt could hold its own on a twisty road. Down on power yes, but with no Autobahn here to exploit the extra power I feel my 2001 Catera Sport (MV6), with Polybushes all around, Koni dampers, Monaro/GTO front brakes and front & rear springs, is on equal footing with Bimmers of the same period.
« Last Edit: 03 November 2014, 22:25:02 by elvin315 »

elvin315

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 November 2014, 22:23:51 »

I spent a few months in TX over the years of 2004-2006.  The Catera was quite a common sight there.  :y

I saw one in my town around a month ago, also a platinum facelift Catera Sport, and nearly crapped my pants from surprise. As we passed eachother I could see the shock on that owner's face as well. Wish we could have stopped and chatted. They are very rare around here in Upstate New York.

elvin315

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 November 2014, 22:30:14 »

Not to fan the flames, but your own profile proudly displays the words, "Catera...Cadillac's unloved stepchild." <insert ambiguous emoticon here /> That's a little at odds with "I don't need to be reminded. It's bad enough hearing the snide comments about my car over here." Who gives a shit what anyone else thinks? We love these cars, you love your car, that's all that matters. Don't be so sensitive about it.

I'm over it. Letting off a bit of steam here helped. As for my tagline, it's sort of like this.....I can bitch about her, but no one else.  >:(  ;)

elvin315

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 November 2014, 22:41:10 »

...more so the ones from BMW, MBz, Audi, and the Japanese.

Whoops.....I forgot about Porsche. People who buy these German "Sport" SUVs are buying them solely for the BADGES. Americans rarely use them off-road and rely on the AWD to make up for their own lack of winter driving skills. Don't ask me why they buy them in our arrid southern states. It rarely rains and never snows.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 November 2014, 22:46:06 »

...more so the ones from BMW, MBz, Audi, and the Japanese.

Whoops.....I forgot about Porsche. People who buy these German "Sport" SUVs are buying them solely for the BADGES. Americans rarely use them off-road and rely on the AWD to make up for their own lack of winter driving skills. Don't ask me why they buy them in our arrid southern states. It rarely rains and never snows.

I'm glad they have no use for them off-road, because they don't work-off road.  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.