Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Brand New Bosch MAF - Fault Codes 73 & 74  (Read 5480 times)

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
Re: Brand New Bosch MAF - Fault Codes 73 & 74
« Reply #15 on: 07 December 2014, 13:35:09 »

Check the connection and condition of the engine temp sensor on the coolant bridge - the blue one with the 2 pin connector. not the one for the dash with the spade connector.

Causes all sorts of weird problems if the connections have corroded or the sensor has packed in.  I have a good spare I can post to you if you want to test it.
If you Elite an MV6, does that make it an MVee-leet?

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 December 2014, 13:43:08 »

Of course, like most things on the V6 engine, the temp sensor is a pain to get into.

The 2 main adjustments the ECU makes to fuel and timing are for temperature and load.

chrisgixer

« Reply #17 on: 07 December 2014, 13:47:43 »

There was mention of the temp inputs to evo on the last thread too viper. :y

Plenum off and inlet out. Not too bad a job imo.

viper

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 December 2014, 14:02:06 »

Thanks for the help so far :y

The fuel filter was changes only two months back for a Bosch Filter.

The problem occurs upon starting. Today I managed to get the car to keep going and when the engine temp was hot it ran fine. Took it for a drive - fine. Stopped and re-started a number of times - fine. Then I left the car to cool down a little - re-start - problem is there again. Bad idle and no power at all to the accelerator. It will then stall. Sometimes it will manage to stay alive long enough for me to manage to floor the throttle and keep it going. Usually, throttle makes no difference. Again - it's as if the choke has not been pulled out :-\

I do not have a garage and to remove the top of the engine to replace a temp sensor is not a small job in this weather.

I have swapped the old Bosch MAF with the new and no difference. Except for my wallet! :'(

Trying to find a garage who can undertake live data checks. Halfords Autocentre perhaps?

Please keep the help coming  :y

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 December 2014, 16:19:16 »

Thanks for the help so far :y

The fuel filter was changes only two months back for a Bosch Filter.

The problem occurs upon starting. Today I managed to get the car to keep going and when the engine temp was hot it ran fine. Took it for a drive - fine. Stopped and re-started a number of times - fine. Then I left the car to cool down a little - re-start - problem is there again. Bad idle and no power at all to the accelerator. It will then stall. Sometimes it will manage to stay alive long enough for me to manage to floor the throttle and keep it going. Usually, throttle makes no difference. Again - it's as if the choke has not been pulled out :-\

I do not have a garage and to remove the top of the engine to replace a temp sensor is not a small job in this weather.

I have swapped the old Bosch MAF with the new and no difference. Except for my wallet! :'(

Trying to find a garage who can undertake live data checks. Halfords Autocentre perhaps?

Please keep the help coming  :y
Classic symptoms of an incorrect temperature sensor reading.

Key members on this forum have genuine Vauxhall code readers (Tech2) and the knowledge to use them effectively. Chris asked previously where you are in case you are near one of those members.

Not much love on this forum for Halfords Autocentres. Diagnosing faults of this nature takes a bit of thought, any of the Kwikbodge style tyre and exhaust fitting centres rely on charging you to bolt new bits to the car. Your car may not need any new parts which scuppers their business model.

There are also some mobile mechanics on the forum that can come to you, don't know which ones have Tech2 though  :-\
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

viper

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 December 2014, 17:01:22 »

So it is the Engine Temperature Sensor that may need replacing - not the Engine Coolant Sensor as per the kind 'How To' guide below:-

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=113765.0

Cheers :y

Andy

viper

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 December 2014, 17:14:19 »

Is this the one that needs replacing? The one with the orange circle around it?

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=113514.0

???

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 December 2014, 17:48:37 »

If I remember correctly, the engine one has a plug on it, the temp gauge just has a crimp which slides onto the top  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #23 on: 07 December 2014, 18:27:46 »

Is this the one that needs replacing? The one with the orange circle around it?

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=113514.0

???
No, ecu temp sensor is the bluey green sonsor just to the right of the spade connector (temp gauge sensor) circled in orange :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 December 2014, 19:24:13 »

Bigger pic of ECU temp sensor, blue green sensor on right.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxq4h9dokjvn3nr/ecuTEMPsensor40%25.jpg?dl=0

viper

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07 December 2014, 20:35:27 »

Many thanks :y

I am going to try to find someone tomorrow who can provide live data as to whether my MAF is working or not.

Wish me luck! :o

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 December 2014, 09:53:18 »

Check the connection and condition of the engine temp sensor on the coolant bridge - the blue one with the 2 pin connector. not the one for the dash with the spade connector.

Causes all sorts of weird problems if the connections have corroded or the sensor has packed in.  I have a good spare I can post to you if you want to test it.

As I said :)  the blue one with the 2 pin connector - NOT the one for the dashboard which is the one with the spade connector.

viper

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 December 2014, 10:43:01 »

I have found an Independent garage with Tech2. Hopefully, he will be able to tell me if my MAF is working - but can Tech2 tell me if the engine temp sensor is at fault?

If the car does manage to resist stalling and gets me to the garage it will no doubt be hot. Will this have any impact on Tech2's ability to evaluate the engine temp sensor?

As always, I am at the mercy of the individual operating the Tech2. The telephone call was not reassuring so I have to be armed with as much knowledge as I can when I go in.

Cheers :)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08 December 2014, 13:06:03 »

I have found an Independent garage with Tech2. Hopefully, he will be able to tell me if my MAF is working - but can Tech2 tell me if the engine temp sensor is at fault?

If the car does manage to resist stalling and gets me to the garage it will no doubt be hot. Will this have any impact on Tech2's ability to evaluate the engine temp sensor?

As always, I am at the mercy of the individual operating the Tech2. The telephone call was not reassuring so I have to be armed with as much knowledge as I can when I go in.

Cheers :)

The Tech 2 or indeed pretty much any live data / code reader will see what you want.
The engine temp sensor will show up on the live data menu as a separate item.
Both the engine and the gauge temp readings should be about the same.

I don't know how much this reading is going to cost you but wouldn't you be better off chucking some fuel in the car and driving to a member who has a reader and KNOWS what he it talking about  ;)

chrisgixer

« Reply #29 on: 08 December 2014, 13:08:35 »

Not one input from any of the tech 2 owners here. ...?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.