Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This is how you do it...  (Read 1259 times)

05omegav6

This is how you do it...
« on: 30 December 2014, 19:11:19 »

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
Re: This is how you do it...
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2014, 19:29:18 »

bloody ell theres some stresses there when it touches down and bet it were scary on board I think I would of been a few inches further off the seat  ;D

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2014, 20:06:11 »

Amazing :o

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2014, 20:25:25 »

As they say in Flight Prep School, "Theres a procedure for that", just nice to see it put to the test and without issues.  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 December 2014, 20:40:09 »

bloody ell theres some stresses there when it touches down and bet it were scary on board I think I would of been a few inches further off the seat  ;D

I'm guessing he was aiming to hold it off to the minimum speed possible, rather than follow the usual procedure of flying it onto the ground then deploying everything that increases drag and kills lift, given that the braking performance would have been a bit asymmetrical. I suspect he also had some control surfaces inoperative given that a hydraulic system had died.

Nicely done, though. Not a scratch on the aircraft, I wouldn't mind betting. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 December 2014, 20:56:41 »

:o Bet things were a tad tense in the cockpit  :o

The Sheriff

« Reply #6 on: 30 December 2014, 21:00:51 »

:o Bet things were a tad tense in the cockpit  :o
Hardy......fetch my brown trousers...... ;D

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 December 2014, 21:06:50 »

:y What they should have done is call international rescue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lWNZowvWEk easy peasy  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 30 December 2014, 21:35:12 »

I'm guessing he was aiming to hold it off to the minimum speed possible, rather than follow the usual procedure of flying it onto the ground then deploying everything that increases drag and kills lift, given that the braking performance would have been a bit asymmetrical. I suspect he also had some control surfaces inoperative given that a hydraulic system had died.

Nicely done, though. Not a scratch on the aircraft, I wouldn't mind betting. :y
As I suspected yesterday, not a single spark from the bottom of the number three cowling 8)

A fair bit of effort to maintain wings level for as long as they did too...

Autobrakes probably helped with the workload, but I wonder if the toe brakes are sided (given that they're part of the rudder pedal mechanism) :-\

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 December 2014, 23:07:45 »

Yes Al, the Toe Brakes are sided.

Interestingly, there was only a slight 'puff' from the tyres as the plane came to a halt, so Auto Brakes would have been set quite low.  If they were set to Max, or anything near, the tyres would have locked up much sooner.

I think the crew would have had a fair idea that it wasn't a very serious issue judging by the way the Pilot landed without extensive use of the safety features.

I'll take nothing from the Pilot, or the rest of the crew.... very rare for anything to go wrong on a modern aircraft, so when you do get flashing lights and sirens, it must make the heart flutter a little.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 30 December 2014, 23:31:10 »

Yes Al, the Toe Brakes are sided.

Interestingly, there was only a slight 'puff' from the tyres as the plane came to a halt, so Auto Brakes would have been set quite low.  If they were set to Max, or anything near, the tyres would have locked up much sooner.

I think the crew would have had a fair idea that it wasn't a very serious issue judging by the way the Pilot landed without extensive use of the safety features.

I'll take nothing from the Pilot, or the rest of the crew.... very rare for anything to go wrong on a modern aircraft, so when you do get flashing lights and sirens, it must make the heart flutter a little.
Makes sense ;)

I do recall that it takes little more than toe pressure on both pedals to release the Parking Brake if set... :-X

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 December 2014, 13:55:51 »

A friend of mine is a BA pilot and has to have a yearly week in the simulator assessment, which he must pass to keep flying. These sorts of problems are thrown at them as part of the assessment. The worst is the progressively throw more and more problems to see what their limits for coping are.

He is converting at the moment from 777's to the Dreamliner.

When an aircraft does have serious problems and they sort it to the textbook, they have well and truly earned their day's pay.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 December 2014, 15:17:14 »

When an aircraft does have serious problems and they sort it to the textbook, they have well and truly earned their day's pay.

Deservedly  :y :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 17 queries.