Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: speeding ticket.... still waiting.  (Read 4184 times)

vauxsull

• Omega Knight
  • Garden City, North Wales
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
speeding ticket.... still waiting.
« on: 16 January 2015, 08:27:59 »

For the fine and the request to send licence off to DVLA since being stopped by police officer last August... How long should I expect to wait ? Is there a deadline before nul and void? I was given a ticket at the roadside so it wasn't just a finger waggle.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: speeding ticket.... still waiting.
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2015, 09:50:07 »

For the fine and the request to send licence off to DVLA since being stopped by police officer last August... How long should I expect to wait ? Is there a deadline before nul and void? I was given a ticket at the roadside so it wasn't just a finger waggle.

How fast were you aledgedly going, and what was the speed limit?

If it's within the range for a COFP, then the time limit is effectively 6 months minus 28 days for you to receive the COFP paperwork. If you're outside the COFP range and you're straight up before the beak, then 6 Months for the papers to be laid before the courts. It can then take a week or two for the court to send a summons to you, so you aren't 'safe' for almost 7 months.

vauxsull

• Omega Knight
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2015, 09:53:27 »

I was doing 42 in a 30 zone... And itll be 6 months on Feb 18th...

vauxsull

• Omega Knight
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2015, 09:54:33 »

He did say it would be £100 fine and three points but assumed as it was dealt with there and then I would have heard within a few weeks?

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2015, 10:23:17 »

He did say it would be £100 fine and three points but assumed as it was dealt with there and then I would have heard within a few weeks?

I would have expected to receive a COFP - Conditional Offer of A Fixed Penalty - for that. There is no legal time limit for these. Basically it says "plead guilty now and accept the 3 pts and £100 fine and that'll be the end of it". However, before one of these can be issued, they have to check that you aren't already on 9 points, plus a few other things. So the rozzer takes down all the details, gets back to the station and then passes the paperwork onto a decision maker. If you are issued a COFP, then you normally have 28 days to respond to it, either accepting, declining or ignoring their most gracious offer.

Should you wish to ignore , decline or dispute their most gracious offer, then after the 28 days have expired they will (should!) assemble the 'information' and file the charges before the magistrates court. That may take a few days to sort out, depending how busy the busies are. This DOES have a time limit - the information must be laid before the courts no later than 6 months after the date of the offence. Once that happens, the courts will eventually (a few weeks later) send you a summons to appear before the magistrates and explain why you are messing them about by pleading not guilty. They then find you guilty regardless, put on the black cap and sentence you to death.

So - getting a COFP within 28 days of the 6 month limit is effectively a get out of jail free card. If you do not reply to it, once the 28 days have elapsed it's too late for charges to be filed with the court. However, there is no requirement for them to issue a COFP, so they could go straight to summons in which case you won't be 'safe' till Feb 18th, and you won't know you are safe until early March.

IMHO, if you get a COFP now you are home and safe. However, you've got to sweat on a summons landing on the doormat for another 6 weeks or so. Whatever you do, don't rattle the cage - you don't want them looking down the back of the filing cabinate, or hunting through piles of paperwork to find your file and working out what has happened. Stum!

vauxsull

• Omega Knight
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2015, 10:30:14 »

All of my details where confirmed there and then ( I could hear the radio operator confirming my address,car detail like mot and insurance and clean licence ect).. So no chasing up details and having to explain anything to him... I had elderly people in car so he knew I wasn't out for a joy ride ( having mother in law in car is anything but joyful 😃.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2015, 10:37:39 »

All of my details where confirmed there and then ( I could hear the radio operator confirming my address,car detail like mot and insurance and clean licence ect).. So no chasing up details and having to explain anything to him... I had elderly people in car so he knew I wasn't out for a joy ride ( having mother in law in car is anything but joyful 😃.

Well, perhaps you got an old style "put the wind up him" copper who read you the riot act as a warning and then decided later that it would be enough. Or perhaps the jam spilt out of his donut at the coffee shop all over the documentation and he couldn't proceed.

Whatever, you'll know within the next 6 weeks.

vauxsull

• Omega Knight
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2015, 10:44:44 »

Fingers crossed then... Thank you for your advice :y

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2015, 12:29:42 »

Not wishing to be the bearer of bad news but my work colleague got stopped in July for speeding on the motorway. He got pulled over and dealt with at the side of the road.
Just after Christmas he was convinced that they had let it go. He has just received the hearing date this very week.
He was stopped for doing 96mph on the motorway.

Soooo, he was stopped in July 2014 and receives his mitigation letter in January 2015. He's been told to expect six points and a fine but does not have to attend court.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

vauxsull

• Omega Knight
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2015, 13:18:43 »

Maybe 96 on a 70 mph road is viewed differently than a 42 in a 30 mph road... I wasn't in a built up area it was a long country road in a wooded area...  Not suggesting this should get me off with a slapped wrist but I would have assumed more leniency towards me perhaps?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 January 2015, 13:30:01 »

Maybe 96 on a 70 mph road is viewed differently than a 42 in a 30 mph road... I wasn't in a built up area it was a long country road in a wooded area...  Not suggesting this should get me off with a slapped wrist but I would have assumed more leniency towards me perhaps?

Not so sure about that ... you were doing 40% more than the limit whereas YZ250's work colleague was 'only' doing 37% more than the limit  ::) ::)

vauxsull

• Omega Knight
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 January 2015, 13:42:37 »

Smart arse :D

vauxsull

• Omega Knight
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 January 2015, 13:44:09 »

Maybe dyffed powis police in mid wales are lovely people and let me off  :D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 January 2015, 13:57:14 »

Maybe dyffed powis police in mid wales are lovely people and let me off  :D

We'll keep our fingers crossed for you  :y :y :y

vauxsull

• Omega Knight
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 January 2015, 14:02:45 »

I'll be more annoyed by the points than the £100 fine..
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.