Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tool snobbery: right or wrong?  (Read 7320 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Tool snobbery: right or wrong?
« Reply #30 on: 11 February 2015, 14:05:18 »

Bahco is owned by Snap-on, and some of their ratchets use the same internals.
which would explain that, as the 72tooth SO ratchets are very nice.

Ahh cheers for that  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 11 February 2015, 18:18:19 »

Snapoff only makes sense if you can't afford to buy tools now, as you'll get it on the drip.  Mac are similar, but my limited experience is they aren't that good. At least Snapoff are good (but still not worth the money).

I had a decent collection of proper old skool spanners and sockets, some of which were my Dad's. But they all went in the explosion.

To replace, I've mostly bought Halfords Pro/Advanced when its been on silly offers, esp as my bank gives me Halfords vouchers every month.  I'd say they are on par with Draper Expert (and rumoured to be from the Draper factory) slightly better than the Sealey/MMart Pro stuff that's shipped in from China and badged up, and miles better than what the big DIY stores sell, like non-Expert Draper. I've broken one Halfords one, and 2 MMPro ones. All replaced without quibble, but no replacement knuckles for then they go :(

I take MDTM'd point about the spanners, the Advanced ones are a shade thin (which has up and down sides). The non pro £50 set are slightly thicker, but still thin.

Other Halfords hand tools are pretty run-of-the-mill. Not poor, but probably better choices for the same money elsewhere.
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 11 February 2015, 18:23:33 »

I can say that I have beat the living crap out of my firstset of hell frauds spanners and they still look like new.

im really interested to see if any of my tools tire out now using them constantly, especially the ratchet mechanisms  :-\
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11 February 2015, 18:26:58 »

Ps, TB, glad you cleared that up re being able to get them on the drip cos I didn't realise that was something you could do..... I bet the tool man who comes round from Snapoff rakes it in  :-\
RIP Paul Lovejoy

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 11 February 2015, 18:59:18 »

I have every make,heard of and a lot of autojumblee, bought tools,  no names.
I have bergan,britool,snap on,blue point,draper, flora, etc.
 When I was in my,previous occupation, tool snobbery everything looking good and shiney, due to the image which had to be kept up, my tool chests etc stayed in the transport, as didn't look good. 8) even tho did same job. That's snobbery.
Hoof'land storeman.

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 11 February 2015, 21:41:04 »

Ps, TB, glad you cleared that up re being able to get them on the drip cos I didn't realise that was something you could do..... I bet the tool man who comes round from Snapoff rakes it in  :-\

I know a couple of guys who were Snap on van men,
both gave it up as the firm took the wee too much, every week loading returned stuff onto the van, (often faulty stuff) then taking the value from thier account,
after a month they would accept returns, but the money took far longer to come back.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11 February 2015, 23:48:35 »

Here's my mini review:

Well, it was the Halford's 'first blood' tonight. Aside from using it to swap batteries the other week, this is the first time I've actually had opportunity to use my shiny new tools. Overall impression - excellent, and very happy. For future reference, I wouldn't have minded an 18mm spanner in there - I used a socket for the droplinks, but would have been nice to have the choice - a spanner with a quick belt with a hammer would have 'got things started' - so that's now on the shopping list.
     I'm still a bit aggravated by the large amount of 3/8" drive. Not bad in itself, but the ratchet is far too short for serious practical purposes. I got a 3/8"-1/4" adapter the other day, so I can use the beefier, longer ratchet with my 3/8 drive sockets. Not a massive fan of using adapters, as it's another link in the chain which may break, however, lifetime warranty does stop me worrying in this case. I don't have a short dumpy extension in either 1/4" or 3/8" - I would have liked one for the wishbone pinchbolt. Again, shopping list.
     So in conclusion, a lovely feeling to use, I would say.  Cliché though it be, you can really feel the quality. I'd gladly swap some of the very very small sockets for a couple more 'ordinary' sizes, like an 18mm impact socket, and a reasonable length breaker bar, but overall very pleased, and there wasn't a job tonight I couldn't do with the tools before me, right down to a tricky looking allen screw, which the hex bit and tiny 1/4" drive ratchet (which I was convinced I would never use, and was almost ready to give it away) made light work of with minimum fuss.  :y

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 12 February 2015, 08:16:33 »

Nice work dbg.

When smacking your spanners with a hammer (done it loads - tool police aware  :-[) just make sure it's all the way on if using the ring end cos I once nearly nackered a bolt head doing it when it slipped. Breaker bar where space allows  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 12 February 2015, 09:20:54 »

Ta Mr The Bear  :)

Got my eye on an extending breaker bar, the one I've been borrowing using for years is only about a 14" or thereabouts, so one for myself of similar size would be fine - however, the option to just add a few inches of leverage where necessary would be very useful, whilst still being able to fit in the Halfrauds toolbox.

It's not one of them stupid ones with the 45o angled end that seem designed to slip off and round boltheads like this...

It's this Sealey jobbie, number AK7315  :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 12 February 2015, 10:19:51 »

I don't like the extending ones as they feel a bit weak.

Check out Sealey AK7302: at 750mm long it effortlessly undoes really tight fasteners.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 12 February 2015, 18:12:26 »

I don't like the extending ones as they feel a bit weak.

Check out Sealey AK7302: at 750mm long it effortlessly undoes really tight fasteners.
And those it doesn't aren't coming undo anyway!
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 12 February 2015, 19:10:11 »

How long is that DBG...I'm a bit concerned about your length  ::) ;D

Seriously, not wanting to be a naysayer but I'm not sure I'd want an extending one. I, cough cough, 'acquired' one from school  :-X and I'm fairly sure it's the 750mm Hellfrauds one. NEVER failed yet. And in fact, used it today at work to get the axle nut out of a Passat that needed a CV boot (messiest feking job in the world  :) :) :) :)). Neither my Makita gun nor the boss's singing and dancing strap-on air gun touched it! Centre cap out the wheel, wheel back on and standing on the bar broke it loose eventually.

The apprentices ''breaker bar'' wouldn't touch it. looked far too short. Enough leverage will move the Earth and all that ;)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 12 February 2015, 19:17:51 »

Seriously, not wanting to be a naysayer but I'm not sure I'd want an extending one. I, cough cough, 'acquired' one from school  :-X and I'm fairly sure it's the 750mm Hellfrauds one. NEVER failed yet. And in fact, used it today at work to get the axle nut out of a Passat that needed a CV boot (messiest feking job in the world  :) :) :) :)). Neither my Makita gun nor the boss's singing and dancing strap-on air gun touched it! Centre cap out the wheel, wheel back on and standing on the bar broke it loose eventually.

The apprentices ''breaker bar'' wouldn't touch it. looked far too short. Enough leverage will move the Earth and all that ;)

Mine is extendable,usually with the handle off my trolley jack or a scaff bar  ;)
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 12 February 2015, 19:19:36 »

Mine is extendable,usually with the handle off my trolley jack or a scaff bar  ;)

I stand corrected then mate. But I do love my non-adjustable breaker bar. Will undo anything :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 12 February 2015, 19:21:33 »

Back on the original topic...

I noticed the full time mech. had got a new set of spanners.

10-19mm. Snap-off.

Guesses on how much he paid......?
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.