Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Slow Down  (Read 5529 times)

The Sheriff

Re: Slow Down
« Reply #15 on: 15 February 2015, 21:14:58 »

Oh, and of course, cameras and letters in the post just don't cut it. Cameras and letters don't put the shits up you like a jam butty car with blue lights. Cameras and letters don't pull you over for twenty minutes and make you really late. Cameras and letters can't tell you that you're a stupid, gobby tw**, and make you feel like an idiot. But cameras and letters is all we've got.

The Sheriff

« Reply #16 on: 15 February 2015, 21:15:26 »

I take my lad to school every morning and what he said just about sums it up. "Dad, I never want to learn to drive a Daewoo".

Good lad!
;D ;D ;D

The Sheriff

« Reply #17 on: 15 February 2015, 21:24:48 »

BUT....I drove to Liverpool today and, before I even got near the motorway, I had about ten miles of single carriageway, 60 mph limit with roundabouts every mile or so. I got so pissed of with the ermmmm, lady, in front of me doing 45 in her vitara that I overtook her when I shouldn't of. It was a real gritted teeth, squeeze the steering wheel, snarly overtake which I completed successfully.
Afterwards I realised I had my wife, son and dog in the car and I was really disappointed that I'd let myself get so het up to, as has been said before, save five minutes. So I am guilty of the odd rush of blood to the head and, I guess, so are most people.

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

aaronjb

« Reply #19 on: 15 February 2015, 21:33:14 »

So I am guilty of the odd rush of blood to the head and, I guess, so are most people.

Yup, everybody is human (well, I'm still not convinced about one or two, but..) and to err is human, as they say.

I was thinking this morning (as I drove back from McDeath) that we're all guilty of occasionally misjudging something, pulling out when perhaps we shouldn't, braking a little later than we should and so on - but part of the knack of driving is driving far enough inside your envelope and with enough awareness that when you do suffer a temporary lack of perfection it doesn't usually result in utter catastrophe..

The Sheriff

« Reply #20 on: 15 February 2015, 21:38:28 »

I think that we actually take it personally. It's a stupid way to look at things but I really think we do. That woman in front of me was deliberately holding me up. She knew I was there and she didn't give a shit. How dare she? Bitch.
That's the feeling that people get.......I think.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 February 2015, 21:39:55 »

I take my lad to school every morning and what he said just about sums it up. "Dad, I never want to learn to drive".

Just need to get your lad to buy one of these classic items for father's day. ;D ;D ;D

http://www.anthonykeithuniforms.co.uk/collections/chauffeurs-uniforms
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 February 2015, 09:01:16 »

STMO already has one of those along with the nurses uniform etc...  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 February 2015, 10:28:38 »

I have always wondered whether it would work better if we implemented similar rules as they have in marine colregs such as rule 16 whereby regardless of who should give way (there is little or no priority on the water) that it is everyone's responsibility to avoid a collision.

It could be interpreted by UKIP as Sharia, where in every accident no one is 100% responsible as even a stationary  car shares the blame (if it wasn't there then there would not have been a collision)

I believe that aircraft have similar rules to marine vesels where rule 16 is concerned,  maybe KW can confirm?

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 February 2015, 10:49:09 »

Another perspective perceived safety. Does anyone recall the QI episodes regarding safety - that if you want to increase safety, perversely you should make something more dangerous. Research shows (I don't like the phrase, but here a valid point is made) that if you want to make a junction safer, make it more complicated - you increase the singeage, make it a slight bend, lots of slightly confusing traffic signals, filter lights, etc. If it's a perfectly easy-looking junction where you can barrel through at speed without really paying much attention by the time you realise that actually you just missed that solitary red light, it's too late, type of thing.

Roofer/chippy I know says he's had more 'near misses' and trips etc with the safety harnessing and so forth when working on roofs than ever before; he used to hope between joists and over sheer 50ft drops like there was no tomorrow. Because it's dangerous and if you know that one slip and you'll plummet to your death, your natural instinct just keep you safe.

Basically bringing me to this simple point. In 1990-5 pre-NCAP days if you wanted a safe car, buy a Volvo/Saab. then there was a few makes such as Vauxhall who sold their cars with Airbags, pretensioners and side impact door beams, ABS, then there was everyone else. If you drive a tin box AX/Metro/Micra etc and you drive at 70 down a winding country lane and you hit that tree, you WILL DIE-  SO DON'T. Now, you're in your 5-star NCAP rated supermini/Megane or whatever, you've got 10 airbags, EBD, TC, highly advanced safety cell and crumple zones and all manner of things that will save you.....so you think. Well, no. Designing cars 'safer' is simply raising the speed of which you can drive, and giving a larger margin of error for the moron to drive like an idiot - as said 'I'm all right in my safe car - sod everyone else' attitude.
« Last Edit: 16 February 2015, 10:51:51 by Diamond Black Geezer »
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 February 2015, 10:54:34 »

The Air Navigation Order does establish rights of way between different types of aircraft and when converging so there is the basis for "blame" to be established.

However, the first word on collisions is as follows:

8.—(1) Notwithstanding that a flight is being made with air traffic control clearance it shall remain the duty of the commander of an aircraft to take all possible measures to ensure that his aircraft does not collide with any other aircraft.

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 February 2015, 10:56:56 »

Designing cars 'safer' is simply raising the speed of which you can drive, and giving a larger margin of error for the moron to drive like an idiot - as said 'I'm all right in my safe car - sod everyone else' attitude.

Agreed. I firmly believe that all new drives should drive a Westfield / Caterham / etc. for their first year, and graduate to comfortable cars once they have .proven themselves survived. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 February 2015, 10:59:37 »

And of course, I'm not against car safety - and I'm just getting that in before anyone says they/their daughter/whoever had a crash that wasn't their fault, and were it not for the safety of the car, they wouldn't be alive to tell the tale. I know, and that's why I've got one of the, then, safest cars in the world around me - in 1996, don't forget the Omega was designed pre-NCAP and still managed 3 stars when tested, when all of a sudden car makers were beign shown up big-time with 1 and two stars. But there has to be a 'meet in the middle approach'

Yes, indeed, 'make the bus shelter vandal-proof', but also try and raise kids to not be vandals in the first place, type-of-approach. In theory we should be making cars less safe and lighter and therefore faster and more economical and greener year-on-year, as driving standards improve and people become less reckless on the roads, and there therefore isn't the need for all the safety blah blah, until cars are 500kgs and do 100mpg. Instead we're simply making that metaphorical bus shelter more and more vandal-proof, as the vandalism increases in severity. Which is the wrong direction entirely.

Jesus, I need less spoons in my morning coffee next time!  ::)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 February 2015, 11:10:10 »

Designing cars 'safer' is simply raising the speed of which you can drive, and giving a larger margin of error for the moron to drive like an idiot - as said 'I'm all right in my safe car - sod everyone else' attitude.

Agreed. I firmly believe that all new drives should drive a Westfield / Caterham / etc. for their first year, and graduate to comfortable cars once they have .proven themselves survived. :y

That is a terrific idea. I've actually an idea akin to that for a while. It may sound a bit 'fascist' but imagine a 'National Car' - the nearest example in history being the Beetle, coincidentally. But every new driver has one of these neat, simple, standard 3-dr hatch design, be made in Britain, would do wonders for the economy, and you get your immaculate  brand new or refurbished as-new machine, which is then inspected after a year. You've got a black box tracking your driving style, and if, after that year you've covered it in parking dents or worse, well, tough titty, you haven't graduated. Stay on in 'Year 1', until you can drive better. Potentially a second driving test after a year, as well? Until you've proven you can cope with that, then you can't move on. Potentially for Year 2 you have a bhp or cc limit, and then on off you go, get a Scooby or whatever, but it's almost like any idiot can try to drive properly for the duration of the 10-15 hours 'learning to drive', but then you can drive like a complete prickend the instant you're let loose on your own vehicle.

As I say, potentially 'fascist' in its appearance, but the advantages are massive - and not dissimilar to how you learn to ride a motorbike - with 125cc limits etc..

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 February 2015, 11:14:24 »

That is a terrific idea. I've actually an idea akin to that for a while. It may sound a bit 'fascist' but imagine a 'National Car' - the nearest example in history being the Beetle, coincidentally. But every new driver has one of these neat, simple, standard 3-dr hatch design, be made in Britain, would do wonders for the economy, and you get your immaculate  brand new or refurbished as-new machine, which is then inspected after a year. You've got a black box tracking your driving style, and if, after that year you've covered it in parking dents or worse, well, tough titty, you haven't graduated. Stay on in 'Year 1', until you can drive better. Potentially a second driving test after a year, as well? Until you've proven you can cope with that, then you can't move on. Potentially for Year 2 you have a bhp or cc limit, and then on off you go, get a Scooby or whatever, but it's almost like any idiot can try to drive properly for the duration of the 10-15 hours 'learning to drive', but then you can drive like a complete prickend the instant you're let loose on your own vehicle.

As I say, potentially 'fascist' in its appearance, but the advantages are massive - and not dissimilar to how you learn to ride a motorbike - with 125cc limits etc..

Not a bad idea. Will be good for UK manufacturing and also remove the "my willy's bigger than yours" factor from young drivers, as they'll all be the same. ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.