Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: non starter  (Read 3356 times)

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
non starter
« on: 18 February 2015, 19:21:02 »

Help please as realy peed off......just bought an omega 2.2....2002...the guy put a full m.o.t. on it and changed the cam belt...rollers...and water pump...that what he said and the old ones were in the boot to show he had done just that.......ok he drove it to my home..20 miles on Saturday and since then i have started in several times to move it about to do jobs on it before i tax it on the first of march....today it started ok and i turned it around and did what i wanted to do and then when i went to park it up properly for the night,it started and ran for 10 seconds and then just stopped...looking at fuel gauge it was just in the red ,,,so i went and put a gallon of fuel in it just in case,,but just turns over as it should but will not fire up.....so please any ideas what it could be that is preventing it starting as i am at my wits end with omegas at the moment...and dont know where to start looking......ta much.. :( :( :( :(

05omegav6

Re: non starter
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2015, 19:43:46 »

Saloon or estate and is the car perfectly level?

If not level, jack up one corner as required so that it is level, if saloon add another two gallons, if estate, another three gallons and try again :y

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2015, 21:42:49 »

Hi AL...It is a saloon...the screen said 56 miles left in the tank and then i added another gallon and still no go....to be exact the car is not dead level the back end is on the lower end of a slight slope so i will put more fuel in tomorrow and then try again....if still no go ...as arnie said...i will return   lol thanks matey  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2015, 21:50:20 »

Hi AL...It is a saloon...the screen said 56 miles left in the tank and then i added another gallon and still no go....to be exact the car is not dead level the back end is on the lower end of a slight slope so i will put more fuel in tomorrow and then try again....if still no go ...as arnie said...i will return   lol thanks matey  :y
Car needs to be as close to level as possible, and once cut out, they need ALOT more fuel to restart than you might think... saloons are better, but have had mine cut out before the light had even come on :-\

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2015, 00:23:18 »

Flyer0712.. Are you scrapping a 2.2  ....And you have just bought a new one  :-\

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2015, 09:46:22 »

Update...put 4 gals of petrol in and car still will not fire up......pulled cam cover back a touch and cam belt is ok.....took off spark plug over to find plug wells full to the top with thick dirty oil and pulled coil pack upwards only to leave the rubber boots in place..took them out and yep full of oil......question is,,,could this be the cause of non starting after running so sweetly to just suddenly stop whilst running...and will it have knackered the coil pack.?????..just going to pick up new cam cover gasket to fit tomorrow if it stops raining....any suggestions please..ta much  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2015, 09:49:18 »

Is the car level?
Any codes? Oil in the plug wells will make it run like a dog, shouldn't stop it starting (unless all six are oiled up...)

Get the car level, and try again. If no joy have an assistant try whilst you give the bottom of the tank a sharp whack. If it then starts you're fuel pump is getting lazy...
« Last Edit: 19 February 2015, 09:54:50 by Taxi Al »

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2015, 09:50:27 »

BIGtime...yep this troublesome one is the replacement for the one that i have now a scrap buyer for when it gets taken away next month hopefully   thats if this  new one gets going again lol :y

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2015, 09:53:09 »

not quite level,but not a lot out of line.......why....do i need yet more fuel Al.....only each time i fill up the petrol an i am getting more on my feet than in the can lol....

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2015, 09:56:10 »

Edited my last :y but yes car needs to be as level as possible so jack up which ever end needs it :y

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2015, 10:11:30 »

its a desmond...only half an omega as you guys say.....only 4pot... :D :D...however Al i will try you suggestions out and see what happens.....love hitting things with bih ammers..thanks.. :y

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2015, 10:39:07 »

its a desmond...only half an omega as you guys say.....only 4pot... :D :D...however Al i will try you suggestions out and see what happens.....love hitting things with bih ammers..thanks.. :y
Being a desmond rules out cam/crank sensor as it should start eventually with either failed... but wrt the amount of fuel/angle of the car/fuel pump... I have all those T shirts in XXXL ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 February 2015, 11:12:09 »

Another thought.. You mention having started it to move it around a few times. I can get away with doing this once or twice on my 3.2 before the spark plugs foul and it either refuses to start or runs on a reduced complement of cylinders. This is because it runs very rich on a cold start. Not sure if the 2.2 is the same, but I wouldn't be surprised.

It might be worth cranking it for a while with your foot flat on the floor to clear the flooding or, better still, take the spark plugs out and dry them out over the flame of a gas hob or blowtorch before refitting them and trying again.

Regarding the fuel pickup, you can verify that the pump is picking up fuel by disconnecting the fuel feed line from the fuel rail and placing the end in a suitable container. You should get a strong flow of fuel as soon as the ignition is switched on. If the system has airlocked, this might help to prime the pump, so reconnect and then try to start it straight away.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

The Sheriff

« Reply #13 on: 19 February 2015, 12:47:43 »

Update...put 4 gals of petrol in and car still will not fire up......pulled cam cover back a touch and cam belt is ok.....took off spark plug over to find plug wells full to the top with thick dirty oil and pulled coil pack upwards only to leave the rubber boots in place..took them out and yep full of oil......question is,,,could this be the cause of non starting after running so sweetly to just suddenly stop whilst running...and will it have knackered the coil pack.?????..just going to pick up new cam cover gasket to fit tomorrow if it stops raining....any suggestions please..ta much  :y
I wouldn't faff around with the fuel until I'd got rid of all the oil that's knocking about. It's got to be done anyway, so do it first.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 February 2015, 13:27:14 »

If it's a petrol and you've started it several times but only run it briefly, then it is probably flooded.
If it's new to you then new plugs  would be a good idea as without plugs make it even more likely.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.