Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need spare key. Car pass and VX supply?  (Read 1741 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Need spare key. Car pass and VX supply?
« on: 11 May 2015, 19:45:09 »

Bought a used Omega on Sunday. It came with only one key and no car pass. Is there any other route other than Vx dealer, buy car pass and new key?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Need spare key. Car pass and VX supply?
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2015, 19:48:18 »

A decent automotive locksmith will be able to sort all of that for you, for about half the Vx price and while you wait.

It ain't rocket science.

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2015, 20:07:38 »

Still needs an immobiliser chip though.

Car pass is, naturally, only available from vx. The numbers on which, is needed to programme the immobiliser chip via tech2. Admins here have tech 2 Kev being nearest you. :)

Other than that, as said.

lesv6

• V6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2015, 00:12:50 »

Car pass is, naturally, only available from vx. The numbers on which, is needed to programme the immobiliser chip via tech2. Admins here have tech 2 Kev being nearest you. :)

"A decent automotive locksmith will be able to sort all of that for you, for about half the Vx price and while you wait.

It ain't rocket science."

Including immobiliser chip

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2015, 00:18:20 »

Lookng forward to seeing that one  :-\

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2015, 07:52:12 »

You infer that I have to order the car pass and key from a Vx dealer, then take the car to him to use his Tech2 to instruct the ECU to accept it. My memory is vague, I thought last time I rang Bellinger Vauxhall with the new car reg. no. and they got me a car pass and a 'basic' key for collection the following Friday. By basic key I mean the key cut with transponder fitted. I do not need the flipper remote locking bit. This did not involve the new car or a Tech2.

Also Bellinger managed to resynchronise an old flipper of mine to the new car, using the Tech2. Was this not the service The Boy was performing at High Wycombe?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2015, 18:05:50 »

There are 3 parts to an Omega RF "key":

The mechanical blade/key
The transponder (small chip that clips in the horseshoe of post 1998 keys, or lives within the plastic bulk of key for 1996 and 1997 cars), this is needed to start the car
The fob (the bit with the battery in, that clips into the horseshoe on post 1998 cars, and entirely separate unit on the keyring on 1996 and 1997 cars), needed to remotely lock/unlock car, and disable alarm

The mechanical key needs cutting in the usual way. Some keycutters refuse, just find another.
The transponder needs programming to the Immobiliser ECU. This needs a Tech2 (or similar) and the PIN code for the immobiliser (written on carpass)
The Fob needs programming to the CL ECU (Plod and GLS) or ATWS ECU (CD upwards). This needs Tech2 (or similar) and the PIN for the ECU (written on carpass)

None of above applies to 1994 and 1995 cars that use the IR immobiliser/locking.
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2015, 20:34:45 »

You infer that I have to order the car pass and key from a Vx dealer, then take the car to him to use his Tech2 to instruct the ECU to accept it. My memory is vague, I thought last time I rang Bellinger Vauxhall with the new car reg. no. and they got me a car pass and a 'basic' key for collection the following Friday. By basic key I mean the key cut with transponder fitted. I do not need the flipper remote locking bit. This did not involve the new car or a Tech2.

Also Bellinger managed to resynchronise an old flipper of mine to the new car, using the Tech2. Was this not the service The Boy was performing at High Wycombe?

So, as TB says, it needs the numbers from a car pass, to enable programming the chip via tech2, in order to start the car. My point was, a key cutter can not help you with that.

In order.
Get car pass from Vx.
Get a basic key cut with chip. (from a key cutter will do, if not Vx blipper type )
Take key and number to Kevin (or other tech 2)to programme chip and check it all works.

Seemples.

Vx will need to see proof you own the car btw. V5 etc.

Although, clarification as to what year and key type is needed really.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2015, 20:38:57 by chrisgixer »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.