Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: No Newent this year then??  (Read 8228 times)

aaronjb

Re: No Newent this year then??
« Reply #45 on: 27 May 2015, 17:32:56 »

I used to know a fella who started off as a club member (not here, elsewhere), started doing repairs, off the back of that started a business and eventually ended up getting a full size articulated lorry car transporter to take cars to meets, track days, etc etc.. ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 27 May 2015, 18:33:37 »

Firstly, Newent IS going ahead this year.  The initial interest was quite low, so I had been privately checking with those that expressed an interest in my previous thread if they would still be interested, even if it was a very small meet.  Apologies if that seems "cliquey", my intentions were to contact those who had publically shown an interest previously.

I was going to post something up tonight, as this decision was only made late last night, and I log on and find this thread. Somebody must be a mind reader ;D

I shall start a new thread about that, so I can get some numbers to the site owner.

Honestly, sincerely, everybody is welcome.  There is no clique as far as I'm concerned or aware of, no matter how many times its mentioned.

JamesV6CDX - you had been to the Lakes, you know what to expect, and you know you will be welcomed in, assuming you stay long enough ;D  (for others, at Newent a few years back, we saw JamesV6CDX drive in, round the back of the site (its one way), then drive straight past us and off home :o.  There was, unknown to us at the time, a difference of opinion between the site owner and JamesV6CDX (was it that really wet year when the owner's mum asked us to keep the cars off the (very, very wet) grass, 2008?)).  And you can expect a light hearted piss-take over it, nobody is immune from a bit of banter ;D

Long standing members will know of a difference of opinion between 3 members, hinted at earlier, that was never really resolved at the time a few years back, leaving a bad taste in a lot of member's mouths. This comes up a fair bit when we mention meets. And I guess everybody has their own view about what happened.

With hindsight, the Admin Team could have handled the situation much better at the time, but this is where we are now, and we can't turn back time. If, as a forum, we cannot move forward from this after all this time, I'm not sure if the forum has much of a future. I can understand those directly involved will never be bosom buddies, but believe they are all decent enough to manage to remain either civil or completely ignore each other.  So hopefully those not directly involved can be equally mature, and try to move forward.
Grumpy old man

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 27 May 2015, 19:25:02 »

Thing is Jaime the same people always go to these meets,  or at least did. I do believe however if you as an adminteam had sortes it out properly and fairly those people would still be attending. Byron for instance took up the job of organising and then told me that it was virtually a joke.
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 27 May 2015, 19:34:20 »

Thing is Jaime the same people always go to these meets,  or at least did. I do believe however if you as an adminteam had sortes it out properly and fairly those people would still be attending.
As I said, it could and should have been handled much better than it was - not helped by the length of time it takes to get an Admin Team concensus (as you know better than most) - I know some on here think I make all the decisions and the other Admins just follow me like sheep, but you're in a better position to know that is a million miles from the truth.

If I could turn back time, I think it could be far better handled, as previously stated.

I still have a sour taste from it all, but as an official representative of the forum, knowing there is no way back, I have to look at it as water under the bridge and try to move it all on.

Byron for instance took up the job of organising and then told me that it was virtually a joke.
I don't follow? PM me if controversial :y
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #49 on: 27 May 2015, 19:57:24 »

Thing is Jaime the same people always go to these meets,  or at least did. I do believe however if you as an adminteam had sortes it out properly and fairly those people would still be attending. Byron for instance took up the job of organising and then told me that it was virtually a joke.

Not wanting to fall out with you mate.....but you didn't attend last year and have no intention of attending this year....as I read it.....so why use a big wooden spoon....just ignore the thread or pm admin if unhappy  :y :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 27 May 2015, 19:59:33 »

Not wanting to fall out with you mate.....but you didn't attend last year and have no intention of attending this year....as I read it.....so why use a big wooden spoon....just ignore the thread or pm admin if unhappy  :y :)

Yep, it's all in the distant past.  Why rake it all up again?  ???  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 27 May 2015, 20:32:19 »

but you didn't attend last year
/Panto mode on

Oh yes he did :D
Grumpy old man

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 27 May 2015, 20:33:47 »

;D ;D

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 27 May 2015, 21:09:31 »

Ok, I wasn't going to post on this thread but I have been mentioned a couple of times regarding cambelt meets and I think I must be considered part of this clique bolloks.

Firstly, the dictionary definition of a clique:

a small close-knit group of people who do not readily allow others to join them.   

I defy anyone to relate this definition with anyone on this forum.  This forum is one of the most frendliest in existance, indeed it was spawned from another forum where there was, if I understand correctly,  rather nasty clique and hostile environment towards some.  Compare that with OOF where advice is readily given, meets are advertised to everyone and open to everyone, there is a code of conduct which many companies would be jealous of, new acquaintances are made between various members on a weekly basis......the fact that some join in and others do not I think is more about personal insecurities than anything else. I dip in and out of meets for various reasons, mostly to do with work and availability but sometimes because I dont feel like it.  That said, there are several members on here I would consider good friends and for whom I would drop everything to help because I know they would/have/could do the same for me.  That's friendship centered around a unified interest.

Lets put this clique nonsense to bed.

Secondly, this episode that happened a few years back.  Yes it was ugly, yes it may have been handled differently by all parties...myself included.  Should it define certain elements of the forum today??  no.  Is it  a shame that it does? Yes.  But then people have different ways of reacting to things, and hold on to things differently.  We have a common interest but all come from very different backgroundsther they be left or right of center, north or south of some border or another....who should care, right?  I have held out an olive branch in the past to try and clear the air but despite the very polite response which, I admit I did not expect, not much came of it.  I hold no grudge but I do not think any less of anyone who does. As I convert and learn more and more about bhudism (yeah go on, fire away with your p!sstakes :P) I discover more about myself and my own imperfections, so who am I to judge others?

I have learnt to curb my banter, which is heavily influenced by the military and thus not fully understood by all, toward those who have never served and I Al has stopped sending bricks to Jammy for his garage rebuild ::) Unless you're a daft Stokie who likes to wear women's clothing, in which case you are fair game ;D

The first meet I went to was one I organised on a military base in Tidworth where we could work on cars using my then unit's facilities and equipment.  I knew nobody personally except online, but vouched for them to get access to the base, everyone was welcome and there was no clique then and I o not feel there is one now.

This post is a lot longer than I was intending but I shall finish on a parting shot.  If you feel there is a clique, come along to a meet, join in, make yourself known.  I am sure that we can try and change your mind :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 27 May 2015, 21:41:54 »

There's no clique

But if you attend a meet, not knowing a group of people who, in the main, already know each other, it might appear as being so. But you also have to make an effort to join in. At York, (maybe the 2nd meet) there were two groups that hardly moved from their tents, & then on the Monday complained here about not being shunned by the rest of us.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 27 May 2015, 21:52:10 »

Well...I don't think anyone who has attended Wycombe has been 'shunned'. I go out of my way to introduce members to each other, or inform them who is who. Everyone does their own thing...yes there are sometimes 'gatherings' but this is usually due to being involved in a 'project'. For instance at Wycombe, there are about 30 or so people counting swmbo's. We can't all stand in one group all day. People wander from A to B, and chat to whoever. If I thought that it was detrimental to the forum and members and causing conflict, I would not do any more !!!
I can't comment on Newent, not having been able to go before, But pics shown after usually show a fun time had by all :y
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

The Sheriff

« Reply #56 on: 27 May 2015, 21:55:34 »

There's no clique

But if you attend a meet, not knowing a group of people who, in the main, already know each other, it might appear as being so. But you also have to make an effort to join in. At York, (maybe the 2nd meet) there were two groups that hardly moved from their tents, & then on the Monday complained here about not being shunned by the rest of us.
Not being shunned. That's ok then. ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 27 May 2015, 22:39:35 »

Not being shunned. That's ok then. ;D

It got lost in the edit .......  ::)

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 27 May 2015, 23:19:09 »

just to put you right Dave. I did go last year
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

05omegav6

« Reply #59 on: 27 May 2015, 23:57:45 »

Weren't you that skinny bloke with the Scottish lass who stayed chez Zoks... ::)  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.