Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it a straight swap from GID to CID  (Read 2395 times)

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
Is it a straight swap from GID to CID
« on: 30 May 2015, 21:04:49 »

Long story short I've buggered my sat nav section on my NCDC 2013........... It won't take or pull discs and even if you open it up to put a disc in it won't read it... Basically I've broken it. I know the laser is fine I must have missed something while transferring the boards over from mine to the donor sat nav section. That's enough about that, I'm annoyed enough with myself for damaging it.

While I'm on the lookout for a replacement NCDC 2013 unit paired with a display this would be a good chance at looking to upgrade to a CID display...

Question is do I need anything else to replace a GID with a CID as in more wires or do they share the same plug or something ?

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
Re: Is it a straight swap from GID to CID
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2015, 21:29:20 »

CID utilises the 12 pin RGB plug that`s usually wrapped in foam and taped to the loom. Yours being a later model should have it
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2015, 21:39:28 »

Rear of CID

12 pin RGB
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2015, 21:56:57 »

Thanks Rob i'll be sure to check the plug is there before purchasing a CID  :y

Worst case the 12 pin plug isn't there what would I need to do ?

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2015, 23:00:32 »

If yours was fitted with the 2013 from the factory, chances are you will have the plug.

If not, chances are you are getting the CID from a breaker, so get the plug and a length of loom with the CID.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2015, 23:21:51 »

If yours was fitted with the 2013 from the factory, chances are you will have the plug.

If not, chances are you are getting the CID from a breaker, so get the plug and a length of loom with the CID.

Yes it had the 2013 from new the car is a 2002 '51' plate 3.2 Elite saloon.

Well that's some good news then possibly, Just need to source a head unit paired to a display and Bose compatible an ideally from a 3.2 for the trip computer features to save messing about with a tech2 :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2015, 09:20:51 »

Going back to the original problem, have you checked the ribbon cables are properly seated at the mainboard connectors?

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2015, 15:04:10 »

Going back to the original problem, have you checked the ribbon cables are properly seated at the mainboard connectors?

I haven't re-opened it to check, But I did take my time doing it in the first place took some 3 hours all in.

Reason I swapped the board on the nav slot over to the donor was mine wasn't taking in discs at one point and another when it did made some awful crunchy sounds an ruined a disc luckily I used a old genuine disc I never use but gave up on it after comparing it to another where everything looked as it should so decided to swap the board on the underside over to the donor.

I might try and put everything back onto the original unit as one last attempt but I'm not sure what to do currently especially seen as the radio and CDC work fine and it's very very rarely I use the Nav it's just nice to know it's there sort of thing... So hence why I'm on the lookout for a CID ideally or failing that a GID NCDC 2013. I'm not in a rush or anything just thought it's a good opportunity to upgrade to a larger colour display :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2015, 17:14:14 »

I swapped the board on the nav slot

What board on the nav slot? If your nav drive spits the disc out and cleaning the lens hasn't worked, you then need to change the laser assembly.  :y

I might try and put everything back onto the original unit as one last attempt but I'm not sure what to do currently especially seen as the radio and CDC work fine and it's very very rarely I use the Nav it's just nice to know it's there sort of thing...

Ok, I'm truly lost now! (Not hard for me!), I presume you have two head units and have been swapping bits around to try and make one good one? So if the Radio and CDC work fine then just the Nav drive needs repairing? Do you have a spare Nav drive from the other unit and was it ok apart from spitting the discs? ...and has it been dismantled?

So hence why I'm on the lookout for a CID ideally or failing that a GID NCDC 2013. I'm not in a rush or anything just thought it's a good opportunity to upgrade to a larger colour display :y

Only used an NCDC with a GID and few times, but the CID makes it a much better tool in my opinion, if you can put up with no postcodes and 2011 maps then it's still a good bit kit.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2015, 19:52:26 »

I swapped the board on the nav slot

What board on the nav slot? If your nav drive spits the disc out and cleaning the lens hasn't worked, you then need to change the laser assembly.  :y

I might try and put everything back onto the original unit as one last attempt but I'm not sure what to do currently especially seen as the radio and CDC work fine and it's very very rarely I use the Nav it's just nice to know it's there sort of thing...

Ok, I'm truly lost now! (Not hard for me!), I presume you have two head units and have been swapping bits around to try and make one good one? So if the Radio and CDC work fine then just the Nav drive needs repairing? Do you have a spare Nav drive from the other unit and was it ok apart from spitting the discs? ...and has it been dismantled?

So hence why I'm on the lookout for a CID ideally or failing that a GID NCDC 2013. I'm not in a rush or anything just thought it's a good opportunity to upgrade to a larger colour display :y

Only used an NCDC with a GID and few times, but the CID makes it a much better tool in my opinion, if you can put up with no postcodes and 2011 maps then it's still a good bit kit.

Basically yes, I did fix the CDC by swapping bits over but since then I noticed the nav slot/player had started acting up (possibly something had come lose or jammed from being upside down while fixing the CDC) although I didn't notice anything lose when putting it back.

I don't blame you, I'm finding it hard to explain exactly what I've done but you know the cage the nav player is in with the cogs an roller gide arm for the disc etc... That's the section im on about.... I don't mean the section that has two ribbon cables going into the main body from the disc section that rests on top the section below where there's a little fan on the side I mean the one that sits on top of that if that makes any sense?.. I changed the whole section with the laser from the other donor 2013 so basically just removing the board from mine onto the other one thinking if I hadn't I'd have had a safe mode message or something. Was fiddly but I did manage to get it back together. But it didn't work. The biggest problem being the arm appears to be stuck that stops you putting a disc in, I did try putting the disc in through the top thinking it would recognise it and sort itself out which it didn't..
« Last Edit: 31 May 2015, 19:54:13 by Mr.OmegaMan »

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 June 2015, 11:33:13 »

Sending PM.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.012 seconds with 17 queries.