Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hard Too Sell  (Read 6767 times)

neilr

• Intermediate Member
  • Barnet, Herts
    • View Profile
Hard Too Sell
« on: 03 June 2015, 08:53:02 »

I am surprised that there seems to be no interest from anyone regarding the sale of Omegas now. I have advertised mine for a couple of weeks now and have had just two enquires. I am now getting to the point where I may just scrap it as I would like the space it is taking up back. Its a shame as its a good car. :( :(

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
Re: Hard Too Sell
« Reply #1 on: 03 June 2015, 09:04:08 »

I bought mine for pretty much scrap value, it's worth more than that to me and I've hardly used it.

Apparently big cars are out of vogue. It makes more sense to spend £15k on a new car to get free road tax  :-X
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 June 2015, 09:04:25 »

I think a big part of the problem is fuel consumption and Tax, if you ask (almost) anyone about car choices, unless they are petrol heads, they will always cite these two costs, plus insurance if they're <25yrs old. These really hurt the Omega as you don't really have any economical options.

Ironic really as they generally aren't even close to the biggest running costs in most cases. They're just what cash outflow people see, so are the ones they think about!

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 03 June 2015, 09:05:06 »

I bought mine for pretty much scrap value, it's worth more than that to me and I've hardly used it.

Apparently big cars are out of vogue. It makes more sense to spend £15k on a new car to get free road tax  :-X
No it doesn't  ::)

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2015, 09:24:24 »

No it doesn't  ::)
Sorry should have made the sarcasm more obvious.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 June 2015, 10:16:23 »

I saw your car when it first popped up. I love the colour and thought project, but.....broaching the subject saw all hell break loose here....threatening behaviour, the lot. So I personally, can't help. :(
« Last Edit: 03 June 2015, 10:19:12 by terbert »
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

The Sheriff

« Reply #6 on: 03 June 2015, 10:21:58 »

I think a big part of the problem is fuel consumption and Tax, if you ask (almost) anyone about car choices, unless they are petrol heads, they will always cite these two costs, plus insurance if they're <25yrs old. These really hurt the Omega as you don't really have any economical options.

Ironic really as they generally aren't even close to the biggest running costs in most cases. They're just what cash outflow people see, so are the ones they think about!
Plus, of course, reliability. Not everyone wants to spend weekends fixing their cars or paying repair bills.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 June 2015, 10:40:54 »

Very true! I think the (un)reliability of older cars is also over-hyped, doubtless by people wanting to sell you a new one!

Since I started driving - 14 yrs and about 250,000 miles ago I've been "stranded" at the road side a total of 4 times, and one of those was a dead battery during the extreme cold in 2010.

My colleagues - none of whom run a car older than 3 years can't understand how I manage one week to the next, firmly believing my car must be on the brink of death!

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 June 2015, 10:57:37 »

I accept that I run what most people consider to be 'end of life' cars. I don't have an issue with that, I don't need a 15 plate shiny shiny to keep up with my mates or neighbours. I'm not a big fan of modern cars, they don't have enough power, too many airbags, weigh too much and visibility is a joke.

I understand that cars breakdown, hence I have more than one. This is true of cars of any age though.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 June 2015, 10:58:36 »

It grates on me, as for so many years now spent up the drive, bonnet open, the very sweet neighbours of ours (who again, never own a vehicle beyond the 3 years/replace with a new one HP lifestyle) often say "Ohhh, working on the car again?" It's not meant in a sarcastic or nasty way, then genuinely think I'm repairing a broken car. ARGHHH!!!! No, I'm tinkering! I'm just poking things that aren't broken, checking fluid levels, checking the state of bushes, or tweaking, replacing bits of trim that are looking a little scuffed/tired and the other hundred things we all do to something we care about etc... It's maintenance, instead of just driving the car oblivious until the MoT guy say "ummm, you've got four bulbs out, a bald inner edge of tyre, shot bushes, and have you noticed you've a flat back tyre? Also your door mirror is hanging off - how long's that been like that?

Approx 12 years of Omegas in the family and been let down three times...

1 DIS pack blew - poor breather maintenance
2 Poor starter - battery
3 Seized engine - volume of water poured into the induction during engine cleaning. (worked fine afterwards, by the way)

oh, and none of these were me, hehe  :) Also none of the above could really be called the car's fault  :)

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 June 2015, 11:07:51 »

Like you DBG....my neighbours favourite saying is 'Working on the car...problems ?'
Reply is always the same..'Er, no....just tinkering, keeping it looking top notch'

To be honest....I have seen my neighbours have more breakdown problems than I have had in the past :y
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

tec2tec

• high wycombe
    • omega 2.6 v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 June 2015, 11:20:28 »

I have advertised mine on a few web sites now with no reply so due to my last heart attack on Sunday [2 attacks in a week] looks like my omegas final resting place is my drive way
as not aloud to drive at the moment

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 June 2015, 11:21:54 »

I don't believe that fourteen or fifteen year old cars  cars from around 2000 are as unreliable as people say.

I regularly complete a 400 mile round trip in my MV6 without it missing a beat.*

* Fingers crossed.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 June 2015, 11:29:56 »

When older cars that break down it is usually because the impoverished owner is trying to run the car on a shoestring.

The philosophy is that if the car is worth SFA then why waste money he or she does not have on keeping the sack of shit going. Throwing good money after bad so to speak.

Hence......oil level low or oil never changed. Cambelt not changed since 1969. Five year coolant never checked and now ten years old. The list is endless. :-\

0795omega

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 June 2015, 11:34:14 »

plus i think omegas are just as good to drive as newer mercs or bmws/audis etc,even facturing in cam belt jobs,cam covers etc were not suffering their massive depreciation! always makes me smile to myself when i quite often get a look off a bloke in a newish one of those cars at my miggy!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 17 queries.