Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cam belt renewal?  (Read 2552 times)

charlieboy

• Harleston, Norfolk
  • CIMG0035-2.jpg
    • View Profile
cam belt renewal?
« on: 06 June 2015, 13:16:57 »

had cam belt etc done 4 years ago, (by Baz?) I think,although I still have 21,000 miles before Its recommended to replace belt (I know the 4 years is up)  Is this regarded as urgent as I go off on holiday in less than two weeks and i cant seem to be able to fit it in .... I went up to somewhere near Stoke to have it done last time.     I have checked the belt and it looks in very good condition, dry and cannot feel any cracks, but, I am a complete novice as regards engines.... any advice would be greatly appreciated, you have always helped me in the past......many thanks M Francis
charlieboy

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: cam belt renewal?
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2015, 13:45:20 »

had cam belt etc done 4 years ago, (by Baz?) I think, ......... any advice would be greatly appreciated, you have always helped me in the past......many thanks M Francis

That'll be Daz  :y

Obviously it's your call, but I'd not worry too much about it and organise for it to be done after your hols

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2015, 18:15:04 »

It's the pulleys that fail, resulting in the belt jumping at best and snapping at worst, although it's quite a fine line between the two in the scheme of things ::)

As Andy says, it's your engine/your call, but two weeks probably won't hurt :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2015, 20:59:00 »

The car I have just bought last had the cam belt changed 11 years and 45000 miles ago. 4 years and 21000 miles sounds OK to me.

jb

• bucks
    • 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 June 2015, 04:29:27 »

It's the pulley bearings that fail not the belt. 4years and 21k will be fine for quite some time, I would suggest 8 yrs or 40k which ever comes first.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 June 2015, 07:38:22 »

It's the pulley bearings that fail not the belt. 4years and 21k will be fine for quite some time, I would suggest 8 yrs or 40k which ever comes first.

:o

Are you going to pay for his repairs if it fails? Please don't give poor advice as gospel.

Yes, it has been known for people to risk it and be fine. It's also been known that members on here have had to rebuild engines because the pulleys have failed very shortly after 4 years or 40k.

If it were mine, I wouldn't be worried about an extra couple of weeks with such low mileage but that is not a guarantee that you will be fine.
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 June 2015, 10:13:00 »

Yep, we've proven many times that the manufacturer got the correct service interval for the cam belt.. eventually!

4 yrs or 40k, otherwise you're just tempting the inevitable.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 June 2015, 21:16:28 »

I wouldn't be too concerned about slightly creeping over the service interval, but would be looking to get it sorted fairly quickly.  There will be a safety margin built into GM's spec...  ...but you are on borrowed time, and a cambelt/pulley failure will write the car off.
Grumpy old man

charlieboy

• Harleston, Norfolk
  • CIMG0035-2.jpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 June 2015, 10:12:07 »

Thanks for all your advice concerning cam belt, I have decided to be safe rather than sorry and have a new belt fitted... My local Vauxhall dealer surprisingly had time to fit it in..... many thank to all who gave me their valuable advice, i knew I could rely on OOF......
charlieboy

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 June 2015, 10:37:32 »

Thanks for all your advice concerning cam belt, I have decided to be safe rather than sorry and have a new belt fitted... My local Vauxhall dealer surprisingly had time to fit it in..... many thank to all who gave me their valuable advice, i knew I could rely on OOF......
Straight to the point......How Much ?    :y

charlieboy

• Harleston, Norfolk
  • CIMG0035-2.jpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 June 2015, 18:30:09 »

cambelt replacement inc. kit?  £308 62 however i got a discount for having a service club card, so I only paid £237.78 which I thought was reasonable......
charlieboy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 17 queries.