Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rear shockabsorbers  (Read 1995 times)

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
rear shockabsorbers
« on: 08 June 2015, 22:36:47 »

Is the thread on the bottom bolt of the rear telescopic shock absorber the same handed thread on both sides...managed to undo the nearside..but the off side is a bitch and stuck fast,,so just asking if they are both right hand thread....thanks  :y

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
Re: rear shockabsorbers
« Reply #1 on: 08 June 2015, 23:18:25 »

Both same, conventional thread. Righty righty, lefty loosey.

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 June 2015, 00:06:43 »

Cheers mr.gixer.........I will have to have 4 weetabix tomorrow for the extra umph to undo the bolts  :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 June 2015, 10:57:09 »

They can be tight to crack off - just bear in mind the thickness, they're sturdy things, so you shouldn't worry about breaking anything (aside from your back) good breaker bar should see you right  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 June 2015, 11:09:54 »

I put the handle of my big jack over the wrench, gives much more power when undoing shock bolts. Blast of plus gas helps

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 June 2015, 19:29:32 »

Both same, conventional thread. Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Fixed ::) bloody Jobs!

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 June 2015, 22:44:41 »

Tried again today..no luck....so decided to buy a decent breaker bar...halfords want around £27 for a 600mm long bar..but I found a supplier in Bedford who sells,,,sealy 600m breaker bars at £10.45...so have ordered one and while waiting for it to arrive will daily dose the stubborn bolt with plus gas........Makes me smile but I use to sell tools and garage equipment and 100s of sealey breaker bars which were as good as any on the market ,but I could not buy them at cost of £10.45 and that was 7 years ago....let alone sell them retail at that price....oh how things change and thank goodness for the intenet. :y ;D

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 June 2015, 22:48:14 »

Tried again today..no luck....so decided to buy a decent breaker bar...halfords want around £27 for a 600mm long bar..but I found a supplier in Bedford who sells,,,sealy 600m breaker bars at £10.45...so have ordered one and while waiting for it to arrive will daily dose the stubborn bolt with plus gas........Makes me smile but I use to sell tools and garage equipment and 100s of sealey breaker bars which were as good as any on the market ,but I could not buy them at cost of £10.45 and that was 7 years ago....let alone sell them retail at that price....oh how things change and thank goodness for the intenet. :y ;D

600mm breaker for under £11...  #stolen?  :-\
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

aaronjb

« Reply #8 on: 09 June 2015, 23:01:44 »

Justoffbase sell them for £13 so it's not an unreasonable price: http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Breaker-Bar-600mm-1-2Sq-Drive-Sealey-AK730

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 June 2015, 23:03:43 »

Oh hell..i lied....it was £10.89 and free postage  :D :D...........go on fleabay look up item number 140957433132 and thou will see and believe  lol.....they even sell a longer 750 mm sealey breaker bar at £14.69 and post free again...now that cant be bad..dont know how they do it...they must buy 1000s at a time,,but all very good for us lot eh. ;D ;D ;D :y

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 June 2015, 23:05:07 »

Forgot to add,,it is..........cooksofbedford.....on fleabay, :y

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 June 2015, 00:03:44 »

Think TB has one with a ratchet on the end. Or is that not a breaker bar as such?

Half inch drive alone probably won't give enough room to get the socket on, and swing the handle enough to loosen the bolt, within the room under the car. Depends on the position of the bolt of course but I bet you'll struggle most times.

I count get a torque wrench to click off 300nm on a rear bearing under mine, and that's with a shorter handle.

Or am I off the mark?

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 June 2015, 21:36:52 »

you are correct,in among my tools i have the said ratchet head adatpter which hopefully will make life a little easier as it gives you more choice of position on the bolt head rather than having to move socket around one whole hex section to get the correct position,,also have bought a spare knuckle bar head just in case the first one breaks with the scaffold pole on the end of the breaker bar. ;D ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.