Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Aldi car parking fine.  (Read 10575 times)

The Sheriff

Re: Aldi car parking fine.
« Reply #15 on: 09 June 2015, 15:22:48 »

Id personally ignore it meself.... and tell them to go forth etc...
Well....when/if you receive a notice from them, I look forward to hearing about your adventures, but I'm sure Opti will follow the correct procedure.

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 June 2015, 16:02:56 »

Have a read of moneysavingexpert, there's a massive section on it there but don't bin it or ignore it you only have about 30 days to appeal and there are pre written letters on there :y
Retired

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 June 2015, 16:09:58 »

Id personally ignore it meself.... and tell them to go forth etc...

I would say this is a bad plan. Its likely to lead to the addition of admin fees, passing of debt to debt collector, then potentially (depending on the debt collection agency) a CCJ and bailiffs, in that order.

When I've been charged for something I believe is unfair/unjustifiable I typically pay the amount and then fight to get it back. This then prevents the aforementioned harassment and other associated problems (damage to credit rating etc). Of course that only works if the payment of the amount in question and the costs to get it back doesn't put you in financial difficulties - I am fortunate in that it never has.

In this instance, given the (relatively large) fine and (relatively small) overstay, combined with the mitigating circumstance that the OP's wife was actually using the store, I would take the case to POPLA on "genuine pre-estimate of loss" grounds. Although something in the back of my mind makes me think a big case is going through the supreme court ATM on that very issue. Some googling would probably be useful.

In the second instance, I'd go to Aldi for an ex-gratia payment, given the amount you could probably get it back from them just by threatening to take them to the county court for it. Even if your reasons were spurious you could probably get it off them because the company cannot afford to defend a claim for £70. Their solicitors probably bill out at about twice that amount - per hour.

Just my 2p

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 June 2015, 16:54:15 »

The whole issue is they can only pursue you for loss of earnings due to your parking on their property, the penalty they request in law must be proportional to the loss, hence, i believe no one has ever been successfully prosecuted in court. How could they justify £70 odd  loss for 19 minutes parking or whatever?

Bunch of wankturds  >:(
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 June 2015, 17:38:25 »

Did none of you watch Watchdog a week or so ago. They sent in a reporter with hidden camera.
To cut a long story short, the company said they do not take people to court, its to expensive !!!!!!
Find it on IPlayer..... :y
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 June 2015, 17:42:13 »

parking eye car parking management have a turnover of £25 million a year...last thing you want to do is ignore it >:(
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 June 2015, 18:08:27 »

Go to this link advises on what and what not to do, if you have not already :y

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=46975

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 June 2015, 23:32:13 »

you have to argue that the fine does not constitute fair compensation for the overstay and thus is invalid.  Don't ignore it but follow the procedure in the links provided :y

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 June 2015, 23:45:48 »

Here is my story with Parking eye car park management

About a month ago went into Aldi Bought something Then left the shop After typing my Reg into there system instore.

Week later a fine came through the door. Saying my vehicle had used the car park illegally.
This happened owing to me putting the wrong Reg in there instore computer thing.

I rang Aldi and told them about the fine and that i still had my reciept to prove i used the store,She told me its nothing to do with them and to deal with Parking eye car park management,Online.

Went online and sent them a copy of the reciept And 5 days later got a reply saying the end of the matter.
The cameras take your reg pic on the way in & out.
I would agree with this. Sticky fingers on the screen at the end of the day often end in poor letter recognition.

opti does have a receipt for shopping there...

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 June 2015, 00:28:17 »

Not I but Mrs Opti.

A parasite parking company by the name of 'Parking eye car park management' are demanding £70 for a 19 minute overstay.

Where do I stand legally, chaps?

Depends if you feel it is a justifiable amount to pay.  I'd be writing a letter to Aldi Customer Relations with proof of your (Mrs) shop on that day (a receipt) and a copy of the 'fine'.  Write to Parking Eye and aknowledge you have received their corespondance and will be dealing with it in due course.  Explain in the letter that you are dealing direct with their customer (Aldi).

Yes, that's exactly what I would do, assuming she had actually been shopping all that time, I don't have the same problems with Salisbury's in Sedgefield............. ;D ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10 June 2015, 11:27:35 »

I have sent the bastards an email (no phone number) claiming 'mitigating circumstances' for the 19 minute overstay.

They will almost certainly not accept this so I shall then move on to POPLA and see if they have any clout.

I have also contacted Aldi and told them that we will not shop there in the future if they insist on employing cowboys. I hope to hear back from them (Aldi) but will not hold my breath. 

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 June 2015, 17:49:26 »

From Aldi PoV, you will likely get better traction if you post it publicly on their Facebook or Twitter feeds. Give em a chance to respond via email though.

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 June 2015, 21:02:10 »

always ask for a popular code as it costs them money then check if its a genuine code.

my mate always parks in these places now as his number plates are held on with Velcro and he has some false plates in the boot.parks  switches plates and now has about 10tickets
he reckons that because hes on private land hes not breaking the law and because we dont have a tax disc no more they cant tel!l

The Sheriff

« Reply #28 on: 10 June 2015, 21:24:33 »

always ask for a popular code as it costs them money then check if its a genuine code.

my mate always parks in these places now as his number plates are held on with Velcro and he has some false plates in the boot.parks  switches plates and now has about 10tickets
he reckons that because hes on private land hes not breaking the law and because we dont have a tax disc no more they cant tel!l
What?

The Sheriff

« Reply #29 on: 10 June 2015, 21:25:54 »

Oh.....and you just posted that with a traffic cop online... ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.