Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3tb, 4tb, 6tb even 8tb hard drives  (Read 948 times)

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
3tb, 4tb, 6tb even 8tb hard drives
« on: 14 June 2015, 17:46:24 »

as i'm waiting on a hdtv tuner card my mind is turning to a hard disk upgrade. 

i currently run 2 x 2tb drives.  last time i tried a 3tb, nearly 4 years ago now,  i couldn't get it to work due to the 2.1tb limit . 

my pc is windows 7 64bit and dates from 2008, bios is phoenix award 1.0.18 24/2/2009. 

have they sorted out the issues with older pcs and drives bigger than 2.1tb now? 

seagate seem to offer a tool that will partition the new drive into 2gb partitions, not ideal I already run 5 drives but i could live with that.

Taxi_Driver

Re: 3tb, 4tb, 6tb even 8tb hard drives
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2015, 18:12:10 »

This may point you in the right direction  :y

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2581408

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2015, 18:24:34 »

thanks that's helpful and is reminding me what happened in 2011.  i boot from ssd so don't need to book from a big disk.  I think my 2011 problems were with gpt hopefully that is fixed now.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2015, 21:40:16 »

You need EFI capability to boot from a >2Tb disk

I certainly have no issues with multiterabyte drives, but everything needs to be compatible with it, including BIOS
Grumpy old man

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2015, 22:21:28 »

i'm going to go for the big one - 8tb,  quite cheap at £182 delivered and will save me juggling my 2 x 2tbs for a few more years.  worse case hopefully is a another bios update and/or take it off my old via raid card (which i don't use for raid anyway).

my bios supports uefi boot allegedly but I don't use it. would anyone really want to boot on an 8tb archive shingle drive anyway?  i can't see ssds > 2tb being cost effective for the forseeable so no boot > 2tb doesn't concern me.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 June 2015, 23:55:29 »

i'm going to go for the big one - 8tb,  quite cheap at £182 delivered and will save me juggling my 2 x 2tbs for a few more years.  worse case hopefully is a another bios update and/or take it off my old via raid card (which i don't use for raid anyway).

my bios supports uefi boot allegedly but I don't use it. would anyone really want to boot on an 8tb archive shingle drive anyway?  i can't see ssds > 2tb being cost effective for the forseeable so no boot > 2tb doesn't concern me.

You need to be aware that Seagate call it an Archive Drive as the SMR technology it uses is not suitable for sustained write operations, so if you are using it mainly for reading data then it will be fine, but it is not a general purpose drive.

http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_archive_hdd_review_8tb
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 June 2015, 00:37:18 »

yes thanks I read a vigouous discussion on its use here http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1860028

specs are more than enough to record two channels while watching a recording which is the most stress I will be putting on it.  quick test showed me using 3 to 5mb/s.  hdtv might double that I guess but still well within 30mb/s sustained http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_archive_hdd_review_8tb

the recorded tv files are big, get written once,  never get edited,  never get copied, should be fine on this drive. 

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 June 2015, 18:23:26 »

My only concern is you said the system was older than 2009 (as in your BIOS date was 2009). You may be in the era of EFI not being fully implemented, esp on shittier boards.
Grumpy old man

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 June 2015, 20:42:00 »

luckily i don't need efi i am not booting from it.

arrived today these drives are fantastic. absolutely painless to install unlike the last >2.1tb drive.   performance much better than expected nearly double that of the 1TB samsung it replaces.

so far I can't recommend these enough, thank you nsa and gchq. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.