Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery - parasitic drain?  (Read 4713 times)

Koomorph

• South London/Surrey
    • View Profile
Re: Battery - parasitic drain?
« Reply #15 on: 22 June 2015, 13:45:53 »

Thanks Kevin, the battery terminals are fine and solid... battery has been fully charged overnight also.

Is there a way to test if it's the alternator as a whole... or just the regulator needs replacing?
Also, any how-to guides to do this available...?
Any individuals who could supply a 2nd hand alternator (or regulator)?  ???

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 June 2015, 13:53:50 »

There's an alternator repair guide here:

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90512.0

The regulator is the most likely issue, IMHO. 2 types of alternator which changed roughly at the introduction of the 2.6/3.2. arts are different but the principle of diagnostics and repair is the same.

I would remove it and check the windings are still bright and copper coloured. If they have blackened or the insulation has started to flake off, then it's probably scrap. Check the bearings are free running with no play or roughness. In some respects, you might as well change them while you're at it, as they are cheap. If all looks OK so far, it will probably be the regulator, but it might be worth checking the diode pack too.

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Koomorph

• South London/Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 June 2015, 14:51:55 »

Thank you again Kevin. I'll initially need to find a guide to remove the bloomin' thing! I may have to call on the services of a local (Surrey/S.London) helpful OOF member for a few quid....

Doubt I'll have the time or skills to overhaul the old one so would probably just need to install a replacement one... (2.6 V6 model)... 

Koomorph

• South London/Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 June 2015, 23:46:27 »

Just to close this thread off and an update.... I was lucky enough for a kind forum member to sell me a 120A alternator (thank you joff!) which arrived quickly last week. We had it fitted with the help of a neighbour and the car is now running fine again! I've not had a chance to have a good look over the old alternator to see what the issue may be.. (regulator, rectifier etc...) - but all is well again.  :y

Thank you everyone for your help and input, especially Kevin answering my PMs - and to joff for the super quick response and sending out the alternator. :)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 June 2015, 19:03:17 »

Sorry to have to continue this thread, but I have been following.
However, going back to the second post, I think it is....where do you put the meter to check current drain :-[
My battery has gone flat after 3 days non use. Starts with a pack easy, then holds charge, and no problems thereafter. No lights on dash. Can leave the car overnight and starts full power turnover. Longer periods....naff. :(
Battery not very old.
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 June 2015, 20:20:43 »

Sorry to have to continue this thread, but I have been following.
However, going back to the second post, I think it is....where do you put the meter to check current drain :-[
My battery has gone flat after 3 days non use. Starts with a pack easy, then holds charge, and no problems thereafter. No lights on dash. Can leave the car overnight and starts full power turnover. Longer periods....naff. :(
Battery not very old.

Ignition ON, ignition Off, and disconnect battery within 15 seconds to stop alarm going off.  :y

Disconnect the negative battery terminal and connect red from your meters to the negative wire and black from your meters to the negative battery terminal. Make sure your meter is in the 10 - 20A mode.  :y
« Last Edit: 29 June 2015, 20:26:36 by Andy A »

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 June 2015, 21:57:51 »

Thanks Andy....I have no power sounder (removed)...does 15 seconds still apply :y

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 June 2015, 11:27:53 »

Thanks Andy....I have no power sounder (removed)...does 15 seconds still apply :y

I don't think the 15 seconds should apply but I have never disconnected one to find out. Let me know the outcome. I'll be interested to know if it does.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 June 2015, 12:03:03 »

The 15 seconds was to defeat the power sounder, so you can ignore that recommendation if you've removed it.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 June 2015, 15:16:14 »

Thankyou Kevin :y

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30 June 2015, 17:29:01 »

Is the powersounder just there then to detect if the car battery power is messed with and it does nothing else. Is this correct?

If that is correct then when I reset my wipers back up and have it all apart I just as well disconnect it just encase it catches on fire in the future.
« Last Edit: 30 June 2015, 17:32:43 by Andy A »

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 July 2015, 12:54:28 »

Is the powersounder just there then to detect if the car battery power is messed with and it does nothing else. Is this correct?

If that is correct then when I reset my wipers back up and have it all apart I just as well disconnect it just encase it catches on fire in the future.

Your choice mate......weigh up the odds of insurance 'difficulties' against 'spontaneous combustion' especially if the power sounder 'chirps' when you switch off.
Well documented on here... 'to remove or not to remove, that is the question,'..... as someone once said ;D
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.