Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.2 Omega CD Auto, to stall or not to stall.  (Read 1577 times)

Omega Al

• Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.2 CD
    • View Profile
2.2 Omega CD Auto, to stall or not to stall.
« on: 04 July 2015, 12:57:42 »

Hi to all fellow owners, I was wondering if any members had experienced a similar problem to that I am experiencing.
My Omega starts on the button first time and will sit quiet happily ticking over for long periods. It runs well out on the open road at all speeds, but just recently has developed a strange intermittent fault. When slowing to stop at a queue of traffic, roundabouts, traffic lights etc., the engine will either, 1) behave normally or 2) stall completely, or more worryingly 3) almost stall, at which point it would appear that an anti-stall device kicks in and the revs raise by 500 to 1000 rpm, which being automatic causes the car to lurch forwards or backwards if reversing! the only other thing I've noticed during my one year tenure of this car and more recently is that the throttle has always been 'laggy', but even more so when this fault is apparent. Can anyone shed any light on this please? My questions are 1) does the car have an anti-stall device/ 2) Does the throttle have any type of electrical input/output control?
Thanking you in anticipation of your responses, Alan

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: 2.2 Omega CD Auto, to stall or not to stall.
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2015, 16:13:16 »

Have you cleaned the throttle body? There is a guide in our Guides area. This would be first point of call :y
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2015, 16:13:42 »

And which end of Northamptonshire are you?
Grumpy old man

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2015, 19:28:52 »

Do the 2.2's have an idle control valve like the 3.0l cars?If so could it be this that's sticking or whatever they do,and just needs cleaning?I'm probably miles out on this but just an idea.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2015, 19:30:17 »

Do the 2.2's have an idle control valve
Nope ;)
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
  • It will soon be Christmas ...
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2015, 20:00:43 »

This is the breathers/throttle body guide http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90528.0 and would suggest you do carry this out at some time, BUT.

What may be causing the stall is the breather hole below the butterfly in the throttle body (Pic 12) being blocked/restricted and this can be tested and cleared without removing the TB.

In Pic 8 there is a blue arrow indicating the pipe that's connected to this hole that comes from the cam cover. If you remove the pipe from the cam cover and with the engine running check for a strong suction through the pipe, put finger on end. If there, hole is open and not the problem

If the hole is restricted (weak suction) or blocked then this can be cleared as suggested in the guide with a piece of wire or drill bit but by inserting gently through the pipe connection on the TB. The length of the wire/drill should be at least twice as long as the brass pipe connector and don't let it go to far in or get stuck, gentle pressure should clear it.

HTH
Phil
keep happy, keep safe, keep smiling, keep in touch

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2015, 22:53:05 »

As stated..try throttle body clean  :y

Omega Al

• Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.2 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 July 2015, 12:47:34 »

Thanks for all of your suggestions, taking them in order, firstly to 'The Boy', no I have not cleaned the throttle body, and I will follow the guide explicitly when I do, I am usually to be found in Stoke Bruerne where my boat is or a my elderly mother's in Kingsthorpe. In either case not a million miles from Brackley.
To BazaJT, Rob G, seems to have answered that one. Finally to Sir Philbutt, I quite like this suggestion as a first port of call, as I said this fault appears intermittent, which may be a partial blockage. I will investigate that first, then the throttle body cleaning. As an endpiece I can now report that my mechanic friend plugged in his Snap On box of tricks and read the codes, 2 were related to Lambda Sensor faults and 2 unspecified, after clearing the codes he suggested I went for a short drive, upon returning he plugged in again and scanned for faults, came back with rich mixture at tick over. Could this be a faulty sensor sending a 'duff' message to the ECU?
Anyway many thanks to the respondents, I will report back when I know more.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 July 2015, 16:05:32 »

The mixture issues really need a live data diagnostics, as it could be a number of things, such as MAF, lamda, air leaks in intake or exhaust, egr etc.
Grumpy old man

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
  • It will soon be Christmas ...
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
« Reply #9 on: 05 July 2015, 16:23:20 »

Really need to know what the actual Lamba faults were (heater, signal, operation) and which Lamba.  :-\

Also where is he getting the rich reading from Lamba 1 or 2 or SHRTFT1 or LONGFT1 and/or the code for the rich reading (eg P0107 - fuel trim)

for example if SHRTFT1 rich then Lamba1 would be reading Lean (and this is an average so gets worse) and the Lamba faults could have been down to mixture being out of range for them at some time and storing the code. So dont go looking for a duff sensor yet.

And to top it all  ::) there is some discussion on't'internet about the new fuel mixtures that are around and the effect they are having on engines so maybe keep in mind if the problem happens when you buy from a particular supplier or stick to just one for a while. Some consensus on here about not using supermarket fuels and the V6'ers will sing the the praises of Shell VPower but they have 2 more hungry cylinders to feed  ;D

If your interested I am currently trying to get to the bottom of a weird problem with my "desi" albeit not stalling but fuel related and been on a wild goose chase to resolve, see here http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=130904.0

edit:- need to be short and succinct like TB
keep happy, keep safe, keep smiling, keep in touch
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.