Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying tools in the USA  (Read 4433 times)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
Re: Buying tools in the USA
« Reply #15 on: 09 July 2015, 13:37:44 »

Years ago someone brought me back some spanners from the States, King Dick they were called, no ideal were they were made or whether they still make them, but really good and strong. Downside was they weren't metric then, probably not an issue now, they still got used and abused though.

Bet it's all still 5/16 and other similar mind bending fractions..

Got a few imperial King Dick I'm selling with a job lot of old tools on the bay at the mo, never knew they were any good
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 July 2015, 16:47:18 »

Years ago someone brought me back some spanners from the States, King Dick they were called, no ideal were they were made or whether they still make them, but really good and strong. Downside was they weren't metric then, probably not an issue now, they still got used and abused though.

I was thinking along the same lines as Webby and had a poke around the tool section in Lowe's (B&Q type place) the other day.  Too be honest I didn't think things were much cheaper than in Blighty and yes spanners and sockets are mostly imperial sizes.  ::)

I know it's a bit gay but I'll replenish my wardrobe instead as clothes are much cheaper! :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 July 2015, 18:09:11 »

I was thinking along the same lines as Webby and had a poke around the tool section in Lowe's (B&Q type place) the other day.  Too be honest I didn't think things were much cheaper than in Blighty and yes spanners and sockets are mostly imperial sizes.  ::)

I know it's a bit gay but I'll replenish my wardrobe instead as clothes are much cheaper! :y

Never thought I'd hear that on the Omega forum  ??? ??? ??? ;D

Good points made here.... as for weight, yeah I'm not planning to get a lot (if I find any I like)....just a few ratchets and maybe a 6 sided socket rail if I can find metric.

I don't see how theyd tax me if its in my main bag that goes on't plane. or as usual have I missed the point?  :-[ ;D

re snap on. I haven't used a better make. everything is just nice to use but for the price not worth it.

I have heard of blue point. only used their ratchet spanners that I borrowed from one of the guys at the garage. no difference to my hellfrauds ratchet spanners imo
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 July 2015, 18:28:10 »

why not get bahco stuff?  so good that snap on bought them out. their adjustable spanners are actually usable unlike most. (not that anyone should EVER use an adjustable spanner  :o)

Phil L

• Intermediate Member
  • Hitchin
    • 2003 2.6 Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 July 2015, 20:29:53 »

As you well know, I don't rate Snap-on based on the fact that they are over priced, there are manufacturers out there who are just as good (and better in many cases) for less money and with similar or better warranty.

I do have some snap-on tools but, there not my first choice.

Consequently, I would be advising to 'buy clever' over here rather than trying to save a few quid on 'a brand' and bring them back.

The only advantage Snap-on have is that they can be bought on the drip.
Can I ask what brand you'd recommend if not Snap-on.
Thanks
Wishing I'd not sold the 67 Mustang...

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 July 2015, 20:45:07 »

As you well know, I don't rate Snap-on based on the fact that they are over priced, there are manufacturers out there who are just as good (and better in many cases) for less money and with similar or better warranty.

I do have some snap-on tools but, there not my first choice.

Consequently, I would be advising to 'buy clever' over here rather than trying to save a few quid on 'a brand' and bring them back.

The only advantage Snap-on have is that they can be bought on the drip.
Can I ask what brand you'd recommend if not Snap-on.
Thanks

Isn't DTM a fan of king dick?  ::) ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 July 2015, 22:08:48 »

I could name a few members who are... ::)

But I've used their stuff on a few jobs and they are good quality ime.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 July 2015, 06:44:51 »

I could name a few members who are... ::)

But I've used their stuff on a few jobs and they are good quality ime.

;D
On a serious note who on earth thought it was a good idea to give themselves that name
Lol
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 July 2015, 08:43:31 »

I really rate the Teng sockets as they are good quality and thin walled, easily as good as the snap on ones.

I have quite a bit of Britool stuff to which is good.

My only King Dick tools are pretty old Whitworth items but the quality is good.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 July 2015, 14:05:56 »

I don't see how theyd tax me if its in my main bag that goes on't plane. or as usual have I missed the point?

When you come back through the airport, go through the green "nothing to declare channel" they then pull you over to one side, ask to go through your bags and check what you have vs the limits. Tools would fall under "other goods" so that's £390 max allowance per adult, so if theres a mrs Webby and adult Webby children they can carry too - just make sure to get different receipts.

If you want to gamble you can bring back what you like but anything over £390 you pay VAT and Import duty on ALL of it!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.