Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What WiFi Signal Booster?  (Read 1052 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
What WiFi Signal Booster?
« on: 11 August 2015, 08:39:08 »

Parents In-Law had a BT HH4 in their living room, it provided fairly good reception around the house.

They were shipped a HH5 and for unknown reasons a BT bod came out to fit it, but he moved it from the living room to the office, which is one corner of the house.

Now signal really struggles to get through the house, in the opposite corner of the house is the TV room and all mobile devices really struggle. Tried changing bands/various config settings on the router, no improvement. Also plugging it into the old location it does not work. Apparently BT have said it has to stay in that location now  :-\

Anywho, thought about getting them a WiFi signal booster, put in the old location should give good signal all around the house. 

But which one?

BT's own or go another make?

http://connectedhome.bt.com/product/bt-11ac-dual-band-wifi-extender-1200/

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
Re: What WiFi Signal Booster?
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2015, 08:50:19 »

I recently had to purchase one as the rental we had to take seemed to have lead lined walls.
This is what we bought and seemed to do the trick, and if i remember correctly was a piece of cake to install, and it just mirrored the name of your existing wifi name/names, with the addition of -EXT to the end.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I15EAIO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

HTH!

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2015, 09:17:52 »

Depends how the sockets are arranged... HH needs to be the first thing in the house to connect to the phone line. The engineer probably rerouted that in order to move it... so for them to entertain moving it would mean £££ :-\

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2015, 10:44:16 »

Had a similar issue with the WiFi at the MILs house.  Went down to Bestbuy got a NETGEAR AC750, set it up in about 5 minutes and retained my favourite Son-in-law status for another year ;D

Worked flawlessly when I was there for 2 weeks and as far as I know it is still working well.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2015, 18:35:06 »

Wifi boosters (ie, the repeaters) are universally shite. Whilst they appear to give a good strong signal, by their nature they suffer appalling throughput.

This is one of those occasions where I would recommend, if the needs aren't too demanding, those plug in mains based extenders.

Due to the Homehub's piss poor wifi (though probably better than any of the ISP freebies), I bought my mum http://connectedhome.bt.com/product/wifi-home-hotspot-500-kit-powerline-adapter/  though obviously I got a sizable discount. This provides 2 Ethernet and wifi AP at the remote end.

Depending on house layout, a better router may be better. Horses for courses.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2015, 20:40:22 »

Thanks all.  :y

It's WiFi that's needed, Ethernet not really needed.

Those plug in adaptors could be good, as its on room that really needs it
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.