Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Better brakes....?  (Read 6692 times)

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
Re: Better brakes....?
« Reply #15 on: 12 October 2015, 12:39:50 »

I run Lucas front sliding front calipers, with 296mm vented front discs  :)
with GM disc and pads its ideal set up for every day use  :y :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 October 2015, 12:55:37 »

:y They saved me yesterday as there was a surprisingly tight corner at the end of a slip road (hidden behind the crest) which brought me from whatever speed down to 10mph in what felt like a nanosecond.

A PFL should have inferior brakes to a FL - however, as mine have been recently stripped down, re-greased, serviced and new pads and discs, I felt an immediate difference between these, and my previous car's (a FL). Which goes to show that a large proportion of braking efficiency is in the maintenance on the system rather than the size/power of the system in the first place.  :)

Monaro calipers are on the cards, one day for sure, but anything up on that and I suspect the original 15"s and consequently the spare wheel won't fit over them.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 October 2015, 01:11:40 »

I'm looking into lotus carlton discs and subaru calipers :)

LC disks are circa £300 an axle on eBay. Anything significantly cheaper than that on eBay is almost certainly mis-advertised, and more likely for a 'standard' Carlton - so no different to standard Omega. LC Fronts are 330mmx32mm vented. And I've managed to crack 2 sets of those at various track days (with Ferrodo DS3000 pads), so came to the conclusion that they aren't really suitable for track use (on LC's anyway).

I did use my old PFL Omega on one Marham track day when the LC was busted. It had standard VX disks, calipers and the OEM pads. Performed fine all day long - no fade or boiling. I did however eventually wear the pads down to the metal backing plates  :-\

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 October 2015, 08:27:01 »

Just been looking at Mintex 1144 pads, they're a bit of a price but gotta be better than the pads I have fitted at the moment. I'm guessing that I could possibly swap pads when I go to the track and then swap back to road pads when not at the track, but that may be a bad idea for the life if the front discs maybe...?

I will be looking into buying bigger/better calipers and rotors in the future but the track season is coming to an end and so is the life of my Omega LOL
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 October 2015, 10:31:52 »

Vectra ST and Lotus Carlton are both 330mm aren't they? Often wondered (given the bigger engined Vectras are 5 stud too) if Vectra discs would make a suitable alternative to any LC owner / Omega owner wanting an upgrade. They're similar money, however, many hundreds.

I initially thought that fitting LC brakes to mine would be a brilliant upgrade, however, looking into the maintenance issues of the calipers, on top of the initial cost/cost of maintenance, decided perhaps not. I think Monaro route is the best cost v effort v effectiveness.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 13 October 2015, 10:50:54 »

Vectra ST and Lotus Carlton are both 330mm aren't they? Often wondered (given the bigger engined Vectras are 5 stud too) if Vectra discs would make a suitable alternative to any LC owner / Omega owner wanting an upgrade. They're similar money, however, many hundreds.

I initially thought that fitting LC brakes to mine would be a brilliant upgrade, however, looking into the maintenance issues of the calipers, on top of the initial cost/cost of maintenance, decided perhaps not. I think Monaro route is the best cost v effort v effectiveness.
Nah, largest Vectra disc is 314mm and the height is well short... not to mention thickness.

On the face of it Carlton discs look ideal as they're bang on the money for thickness, diameter, hub fitting... but they're 7mm too short, so won't fit without modifying both the steering knuckle and caliper bracket...

Another bang on option remains, which should bolt straight on, and that's to obtain/fit the AP upgrade for the LC...

Can't see this being a cheap option, although the cost involved with fitting even second hand VAG parts is substantial :-\

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 October 2015, 11:08:45 »

I have the AP Bell and Rotors modification for my LC, but I don't use it for anything except track days. The rotors are £400 a side, and handed!

LC front calipers aren't particularly maintainane intensive - the only thing that happens to them is the pistons corrode, and many of us have changed to stainless steel pistons to overcome this. Other than that they're fairly bomb proof. But - I still wouldn't suggest using them for an Omega upgrade for the following reasons...

1) They require a mounting bracket to fix them to the hub (90393151). You'll have to get that made up - so they aren't truly "bolt straight on".
2) The disk thickness of 32mmm is a bit of an odd ball for aftermarket rotors. Would be much cheaper to use either 28mm or even 36 mm disks/rotors.
3) It's getting tricky to obtain some of the seals, wipers and retainers
4) Virtually everything LC carries a price premium, and a set of LC calipers & disks would probably cost you more than a typical Omega B is worth.

05omegav6

« Reply #22 on: 13 October 2015, 11:16:53 »

Can you send me ALL the disc/bell dimensions you have if you get a moment... :y

05omegav6

« Reply #23 on: 13 October 2015, 11:35:28 »

Thinking that the bells would be perfect for 356x36mm discs with Monaro AP calipers... ::)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 October 2015, 12:14:02 »

Nah, largest Vectra disc is 314mm and the height is well short... not to mention thickness.

On the face of it Carlton discs look ideal as they're bang on the money for thickness, diameter, hub fitting... but they're 7mm too short, so won't fit without modifying both the steering knuckle and caliper bracket...

Another bang on option remains, which should bolt straight on, and that's to obtain/fit the AP upgrade for the LC...

Can't see this being a cheap option, although the cost involved with fitting even second hand VAG parts is substantial :-\

The naughty Vauxhall people have been quoted as saying the following...

"Swindon race engineering carried out the work on the V6, they tried different cam and ecu set ups but found the MV6 inlet cam was so close to what they needed, they used that instead. The ECU was not changed due to cost reliability and strict emission controls

The pre sales pack, which was written before the car was launched, said it had ecu upgrade and would come with 6 speed box, this was not the case, it also said it would come with 325mm grooved discs but plain 330mm were fitted instead

Full spec over and above the SRi( GSi wasnt available at the time):-
Speedline Mistral 7.5J*17 alloys ET49 5 spoke with full size spare
Steinmetz side skirts
AP LSD
AP lower final drive - 4.45:1
AP road/ race 4 pot brakes with Goodridge braided hoses
X30XE inlet cams
Koni road/ race suspension package, 35mm drop
Recaro front seats with Eurosport motif, matching trim to rear seats and door cards"

perhaps they lie?  :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #25 on: 13 October 2015, 12:35:59 »

It isn't just the disc diameter and thickness... the disc height is significant as that dictates the position of the caliper, which in turn dictates the wheel offset...  :y Then there's the wheel nut pcd and centre bore sizes to consider...

This is why I currently use Merc ML discs, as the height is the closest off the shelf 330x32 disc, and it still requires machining to fit

Sereks approach with VAG discs require the hub to be machined as well as the caliper mounts... all costs to be factored in...

Which is what makes the two piece disc and bell approach much more viable as the disc height can be tailor made allowing the caliper to bolt straight on and have the disc in exactly the right place with perfect bell to hub dimension without fouling the wheel...

This ius why the Monaro stuff is so appealing as the calipers share a common mounting dimension with the Omega. I am currently kicking myself for overlooking the LC option, as the LC discs and calipers would comfortably fit the Omega, but would probably demand a wheel offset of ET33 or lower due to the shallower discs (8mm difference as far as I can tell)...

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 October 2015, 10:32:34 »

Found 'em. Here's a drawing which is close enough for first approximations.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h12/LC0112G/disk-bell.jpg

Ahhh - I can't seem to stop photobucket resizing the image down. If you can't read it, pm me an email address and I'll send you the larger jpg.
« Last Edit: 19 October 2015, 10:43:18 by LC0112G »

05omegav6

« Reply #27 on: 19 October 2015, 11:58:54 »

Pm incoming as that downsizing malarkey is rather small :D

elvin315

• Intermediate Member
  • Catskill, New York, USA
  • Catera...Cadillac's unloved stepchild.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25 October 2015, 21:59:20 »

2004 5.7 Monaro calipers are a bolt on upgrade requiring only the calipers and pads... Discs being the same thickness and diameter...

I have this set-up on my Catera and in addition to the 2004 GTO/Monaro calipers and mounts you must use the Monaro brake hose or an appropriate aftermarket substitute. The Omega hose is shorter and will be stretched and damaged at full steering lock. The Monaro and Omega discs share the same dimensions so there is no mechanical advantage (leverage) in terms of braking. The increase in stopping power is all due to the calipers and pads. I use C5 Corvette brake pads in place of the GTO/Monaro pads due to their increased friction area. I also use aftermarket slotted discs because I'm a geek and like to think they make a big difference. Maybe, maybe not.......but they sure look spiffy, especially painted red.

NOTE: You lose the brake pad wear warning. Clip the sensor and short them together or the damned light will be forever lit.

Words and Pictures:
http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/t5-gto-brake-swap#10
Is that all there is, is that all there is
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball, If that's all there is

elvin315

• Intermediate Member
  • Catskill, New York, USA
  • Catera...Cadillac's unloved stepchild.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 October 2015, 22:05:57 »

Monaro calipers are on the cards, one day for sure, but anything up on that and I suspect the original 15"s and consequently the spare wheel won't fit over them.  :)

The GTO/Monaro calipers will clear the standard 16 inch Catera wheels. Can't verify whether they'll fit with the spare. Never thought about it. I'm screwed if it doesn't and I get a flat up front.
Is that all there is, is that all there is
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball, If that's all there is
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.