Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Faulty ECU perhaps?  (Read 3079 times)

C20det

• Belfast
    • 02 3.2 v6 Special
    • View Profile
Faulty ECU perhaps?
« on: 21 October 2015, 23:23:06 »

So I've been struggling to get the EML light sorted on my 3.2 ex plod

Codes:

Also detects misfire 1 3 & 5 now and again but not present when I run diagnostic

Tried plugs, coilpacks new sensors etc moving sensors to try & eliminate the problem with B1 S1 02 sensor heater circuit also Checked wiring & loom fuses
Can't seem to get to the bottom of this at all.

Then tonight I thought I would check the timing invade that was the issue and that all checked out to be fine & where it should be also had an auto spark do his tests to check if any of the wires where faulty and the guy suggested could it be a faulty ECU?? Anybody had any Ecu problems?
And now lately the throttle is sticking on but driving with the TC off seems to trigger it from revs stickying

Any ideas guys I'm really confused on what to do next , should I try a different Ecu?

Cheers, Carl
« Last Edit: 21 October 2015, 23:24:38 by C20det »

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Faulty ECU perhaps?
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2015, 23:26:11 »

They're pretty bomb proof but if someone has been fiddling (chipping for example) it could be faulty :-\
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2015, 23:43:02 »

They're pretty bomb proof but if someone has been fiddling (chipping for example) it could be faulty :-\
Chipping or TC wiring butchered by plod perhaps?

Very rare to see an ECU failure.

It is showing 2 errors on Bank 1 Sensor 1, (output and heater circuit) so it does sound like that sensor is playing up.

Can you see live data from the ECU, or get it to someone with a Tech 2?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

C20det

• Belfast
    • 02 3.2 v6 Special
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2015, 00:01:10 »

I've never had the Ecu out or tried chipping or anything along them lines ,

I'm cautious about replacing the Ecu as I don't think it will cure my problem.

Can't get it to any1 with tech 2 as I'm from Northern Ireland and don't know where to take it til

Yes I have ran live tests b1 s1 02 sensor runing very rich about 1500 mv & lean for b2 s1 around 600mv
« Last Edit: 22 October 2015, 00:11:28 by C20det »

C20det

• Belfast
    • 02 3.2 v6 Special
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2015, 00:14:27 »

My friend has the same car as mine 3.2 would it be possible to swap the Ecu to try ? Or does this require coding of some sort, only reason I ask is to save to buying one for it not to cure the problem

KSR

• South west
    • Omega 2.5 TD & Corsa C
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2015, 08:07:44 »

My friend has the same car as mine 3.2 would it be possible to swap the Ecu to try ? Or does this require coding of some sort, only reason I ask is to save to buying one for it not to cure the problem

yes it will all need re coding . i wouldn't go down that avenue.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 October 2015, 08:27:34 »

You would need to swap the ecu, the immobiliser unit from around the ignition lock and use the immobiliser chip from his key to start it. Not a massive amount of work to prove it one way or the other i suppose.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 October 2015, 09:31:02 »

Possible to do the swap but probably not going to cure the problem.

As plod do butcher the wiring somewhat I expect that it is loom related.
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 October 2015, 10:27:57 »

Must admit although rare, Ive had and come across ECU faults all on 3.2's, two of them being Ex Police, having said that they have all produced similar issues, which are fine one minute then decide to through a Non Start or Intermittent Start problem (which can lead you chasing your own backside thinking its a Crankshaft, Fuel Pump or immobilizer problem) rather than a Miss Fired issue that you are describing.  :-\

If your thinking its ECU related, first thing to check is the Earth return on the ECU, there's a jumper wire between the outer ECU casing which is one of the main Earth return, its held on with a 'all in one' terminated nut, make sure that's nice and tight, also check the Earth return between that point and the neg / ground or the battery, if you don't have a meter, you can put a jump lead between the ECU casing and Battery Negative (double check and don't put + volts on the ECU by mistake!!).

If you've got access to another 3.2 car, then yea, I would swop the ECU just to check, its a leas than 10 min job once you get the hang of it, unplug ECU and swop, Steering Wheel cowling off, unplug and pull off Immobiliser module and replace and swop the keyfob chip, just make sure you label everything up for each car as you go along.  :y

« Last Edit: 22 October 2015, 10:32:00 by zirk »

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 22 October 2015, 17:48:54 »

You need ecu, transponder ring from barrel and key from mates car...

Swap ecu with yours, remove cowling.
Unplug transponder ring and leave in place.
Tape mates key to his transponder ring and plug it in.
Use your key in the ignition.

Quicker and easier than stripping both cars.

I woukd however be inclined to fit your ecu to your mates car if that is working properly :-\

C20det

• Belfast
    • 02 3.2 v6 Special
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 October 2015, 21:51:05 »

Must admit although rare, Ive had and come across ECU faults all on 3.2's, two of them being Ex Police, having said that they have all produced similar issues, which are fine one minute then decide to through a Non Start or Intermittent Start problem (which can lead you chasing your own backside thinking its a Crankshaft, Fuel Pump or immobilizer problem) rather than a Miss Fired issue that you are describing.  :-\

If your thinking its ECU related, first thing to check is the Earth return on the ECU, there's a jumper wire between the outer ECU casing which is one of the main Earth return, its held on with a 'all in one' terminated nut, make sure that's nice and tight, also check the Earth return between that point and the neg / ground or the battery, if you don't have a meter, you can put a jump lead between the ECU casing and Battery Negative (double check and don't put + volts on the ECU by mistake!!).

If you've got access to another 3.2 car, then yea, I would swop the ECU just to check, its a leas than 10 min job once you get the hang of it, unplug ECU and swop, Steering Wheel cowling off, unplug and pull off Immobiliser module and replace and swop the keyfob chip, just make sure you label everything up for each car as you go along.  :y

Hopefully get a chance to swap them around start of next week he free to do so, just can't think what else could be causing this I will update soon as I can

thanks, Carl

C20det

• Belfast
    • 02 3.2 v6 Special
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 October 2015, 21:53:13 »

You need ecu, transponder ring from barrel and key from mates car...

Swap ecu with yours, remove cowling.
Unplug transponder ring and leave in place.
Tape mates key to his transponder ring and plug it in.
Use your key in the ignition.

Quicker and easier than stripping both cars.

I woukd however be inclined to fit your ecu to your mates car if that is working properly :-\

Cheers I will do it that way sounds a lot handier  :y
« Last Edit: 22 October 2015, 21:54:55 by C20det »

C20det

• Belfast
    • 02 3.2 v6 Special
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 October 2015, 21:59:32 »

Heres a thought though When I swapped Bank 1 Sensor 1 with sensor 2 it brought up same faults but the codes where different it was 0141 rather than 0130 and 0135

Should this be right?

C20det

• Belfast
    • 02 3.2 v6 Special
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 October 2015, 23:41:17 »

Heres a thought though When I swapped Bank 1 Sensor 1 with sensor 2 it brought up same faults but the codes where different it was 0141 rather than 0130 and 0135

Should this be right?

Surely if it was a wiring problem in that loom it wouldn't change the codes? If I'm correct

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 22 October 2015, 23:46:23 »

Unless the wiring fault is between the plug and the sensor... of course, the sensor could be the problem too ::)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.