Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Autobox Update  (Read 6124 times)

Richard A

• Aldridge, West Midlands
    • View Profile
Re: Autobox Update
« Reply #30 on: 14 November 2015, 19:17:45 »

If you have no 'change' problems with the 'auto box' leave alone, the AR35 is the best of the 'auto's' fitted to the OMEGA, best advise, change the 'fluid' and clean the auto box filter every 80k, this advise is for any 'auto box'. The manufactures do not care as the car's  'guarantee' will of expired on these cars at 75k, however for the second hand owners it is important to do the change, then check the content of 'auto box sump' pieces of 'plastic like' material which can mean that there big problems around the corner. There is great advise available on this site from extremely good mechanical engineers.
richard a

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 15 November 2015, 10:00:51 »

I had the update done and cannot say that i noticed any difference
Was it a 2.6/3.2?  All the best refinements were not retro added to their firmwares.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 November 2015, 10:03:24 »

Webby, I've heard good things about it, perhaps the difference for me would be the most noticeable, because I'm on the 'grandpa' software, being a '96 car. More of a faff for me, as it means changing my entire gearbox and throwing my old one (with a brand new filter and fluid that's done 500miles) in the skip with BIGtimes, might wait until my thrust washer fails, then change... however for yourself would be a simpler case of getting plugged in to TB's or Mark's Tech 2 and 2 mins later you're cruising in an even cooler fashion than ever before. I'd get it done if I were you  :)
Gearbox is identical  and interchangeable throughout the Omega range, accepting the greater power capabilities of the AR35 which is essential for the TD and the larger V6's.

Its the ECUs that vary.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 15 November 2015, 10:06:48 »

Webby, I've heard good things about it, perhaps the difference for me would be the most noticeable, because I'm on the 'grandpa' software, being a '96 car. More of a faff for me, as it means changing my entire gearbox and throwing my old one (with a brand new filter and fluid that's done 500miles) in the skip with BIGtimes, might wait until my thrust washer fails, then change... however for yourself would be a simpler case of getting plugged in to TB's or Mark's Tech 2 and 2 mins later you're cruising in an even cooler fashion than ever before. I'd get it done if I were you  :)

Cheers mate. I'll grovel to TB  :y
http://theboy.omegaowners.com

I'll do you a deal. I'll put it on, you drive around for a couple of weeks, if you think its worth the money, you then pay. If you don't, you can have it for free. No obligations or expectations.

Given your sedate driving style, I think the biggest benefit would be the smoother changes, esp the tc lockup in 4th.
Grumpy old man

powerslinky

« Reply #34 on: 15 November 2015, 10:33:16 »

I'll do you a deal. I'll put it on, you drive around for a couple of weeks, if you think its worth the money, you then pay. If you don't, you can have it for free. No obligations or expectations.

Given your sedate driving style, I think the biggest benefit would be the smoother changes, esp the tc lockup in 4th.

Now theres an offer you cannot turn down  . . . . can you ?  :o :o

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 15 November 2015, 12:05:37 »

No. Ill do you a deal. You put it on and I pay! You've helped me so much over the last few years I'll do anything to repay the debt (though I draw the line at what STEMO probably is thinking)  ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 16 November 2015, 08:19:18 »

Gearbox is identical  and interchangeable throughout the Omega range, accepting the greater power capabilities of the AR35 which is essential for the TD and the larger V6's.

Its the ECUs that vary.

Thanks TB. Aware that it's only the ECU that's the difference, but just thought/assumed if I were going down the route of a new ECU for my box, I might as well kill two birds and get a whole AR35 while I'm at it. Also not sure I've seen anyone selling just the gearbox ECU before? Got a mate with an old AR35 kicking around in his shed which I may avail myself of one day. As I say, though, not in any rush as my current gearbox has literally nothing wrong with it and did the oil not 1 month ago. On the cards, though, and yourself or Mark shall be getting the business  :y Thanks  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 16 November 2015, 11:32:14 »

I think your issue with changing the ECU is that it will not be compatible with the wiring loom in your car. The box and the wiring to the box itself is the same for all 3L V6s but the ECU and its wiring have differences that I can't imagine are easily overcome.
If you Elite an MV6, does that make it an MVee-leet?

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 16 November 2015, 13:49:23 »

Was it a 2.6/3.2?  All the best refinements were not retro added to their firmwares.
None of the above  ;D ;D It was that silver 2.2 i had.But the box was playing up anyway before the update,So it got replaced with another Known good one.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 16 November 2015, 18:47:04 »

Its the ECUs that vary.

Thanks TB. Aware that it's only the ECU that's the difference, but just thought/assumed if I were going down the route of a new ECU for my box, I might as well kill two birds and get a whole AR35 while I'm at it. Also not sure I've seen anyone selling just the gearbox ECU before? Got a mate with an old AR35 kicking around in his shed which I may avail myself of one day. As I say, though, not in any rush as my current gearbox has literally nothing wrong with it and did the oil not 1 month ago. On the cards, though, and yourself or Mark shall be getting the business  :y Thanks  :)
You wont notice any difference between an ar25 and ar35 on a 2.5v6, apart from the extra weight. Stick with what you have
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 16 November 2015, 18:47:37 »

None of the above  ;D ;D It was that silver 2.2 i had.But the box was playing up anyway before the update,So it got replaced with another Known good one.
2.2 got all the refinements with v9 and vA :y
Grumpy old man

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 17 November 2015, 09:45:40 »

Its the ECUs that vary.

You wont notice any difference between an ar25 and ar35 on a 2.5v6, apart from the extra weight. Stick with what you have

Ah, didn't realise they were any heftier, suppose it makes sense. Next year the G-cam mod is coming, but I imagine the existing box will be able to cope with the extra few bhp/torques that will produce, then? Thanks. Might have a low mileage AR35 for sale soon, then, everyone!  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 18 November 2015, 21:07:33 »

You will be unlucky if you get a 2.5 v6 to destroy a well maintained AR25 :)
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 18 queries.