Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: At last - the right decision, but how long did it take?!  (Read 1534 times)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
At last - the right decision, but how long did it take?!
« on: 23 November 2015, 10:47:41 »

http://road.cc/content/news/171470-hgv-operator%E2%80%99s-licence-revoked-after-its-actions-led-death-two-cyclists

I have no doubt that a new company will be quietly setup in the next few months with another family member at the helm and a completely different name.  I will be keeping an eye out :y

Nice to see a long sentence given to the motorist as well, although from experience I can say that a tough sentence gives no solace.  A weak sentence just amplifies the heartache.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: At last - the right decision, but how long did it take?!
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2015, 12:20:17 »

Good outcome. Anything that brings down road deaths has got to be good.

My mother used to be an avid cycling racer doing well in races up to 100 miles in length. That all stopped when she was eighteen. A lorry towing a trailer loaded with straw performed an ill judged overtake on a narrow road and knocked her off the bike and ran over it and her legs. No action was taken against the driver or the firm. Their solicitor successfully argued that she was accelerating(it was just starting to go downhill) and that made the overtake hard to judge!. It was 1949 and times have changed. She suffered from back pain for nearly 45 years as a result until it was sorted when she tripped on a loose paving slab in Newcastle! The owner of the lorry company later gave her £50 to buy a new bike.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2015, 07:38:11 »

A very common situation within road transport, going from silly O clock starts to a bit later, then doing depot based wok, 15-18 hr days are not uncommon within transport, as long as the card shows the relevant rest has taken place,its legal.
These only come to light when a serious breech of road safty happens or the operator, has an investigation against them and time sheets,wage slips and cards are compared.
 I won't go into the reasons why this is common, or a long winded explanation, but,customers,supermarkets, times etc, and keeping your job all come into it.,
« Last Edit: 24 November 2015, 07:41:22 by biggriffin »
Hoof'land storeman.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2015, 10:48:24 »

Thankfully Varche, things have improved although we have so way to go yet in terms of having a suitable deterrent for putting other road users at risk.

It is scary to think that this type of behaviour may be commonplace or even standard in the UK industry.  It would explain the difference I have noticed between how French and UK HGV drivers treat other vulnerable road users such as cyclists.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2015, 11:42:05 »

Thankfully Varche, things have improved although we have so way to go yet in terms of having a suitable deterrent for putting other road users at risk.

It is scary to think that this type of behaviour may be commonplace or even standard in the UK industry.  It would explain the difference I have noticed between how French and UK HGV drivers treat other vulnerable road users such as cyclists.

French drivers are generally better in all aspects, the standard of driving in UK is one of the poorest in the world IMHO.

The only thing that matters to most is "ME" .. they don't care about pedestrians, cyclists, other cars, caravans, trucks, laws, common sense etc etc .. as long as they get their own way and do what they want the world is a good place .. and they are NEVER, EVER in the wrong.  :'( :'(

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2015, 11:51:29 »

French drivers are generally better in all aspects, the standard of driving in UK is one of the poorest in the world IMHO.

The only thing that matters to most is "ME" .. they don't care about pedestrians, cyclists, other cars, caravans, trucks, laws, common sense etc etc .. as long as they get their own way and do what they want the world is a good place .. and they are NEVER, EVER in the wrong.  :'( :'(

Actually I would argue that their car drivers are worse than ours, although we are catching up pretty quickly.  I agree fully with your statement with the general behaviour of lorry drivers.  The 7.5T category seem to be the worst but I wonder how much of this problem stems from the pressures they are placed under?

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 November 2015, 13:03:22 »

Nail on head there Nige  :y
And just to round it off, my lads has his first driving test at 14:00 today  8)
Fingers crossed he will pass and turn out a decent driver  :-\
If he does drive like a idiot, i'll have to enforce some good old fashion style parenting  :-X ;)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 November 2015, 19:26:01 »

Any person who is tired, worked a long day, then is going home, can cause the same out-come, eg
Driving from lets say Hampshire to France, then doing some work, then going to somewhere else, its not only Hgv drivers who get tired, it just happens that when it goes wrong in a truck its bigger, and makes better news, than the factory or office bod, who's been working double shift, to get the work done to hit his targets, then driving the next morning after 3 hrs sleep to the customers!

Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 17 queries.